• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Skates of Rage: Anyone else a little annoyed with the skates? :P

braixen

the supreme meme
Years
  • i use my bike way more than i do my skates; the controls for the skates made it hard for me to go through doors to buildings and edging my way through places, and the bike was much smoother to use.

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
    Years
  • I don't like the skates... Hopefully GameFreak patches it or something so you can turn it on and off like the Exp.Share.
    I love the bicycle and I prefer using the running shoes over the skates.
    Only thing I liked about the skates, is that you can do tricks. But that is just for show, and doesn't help with anything, so what's the point?

As like the others, I always used the Dowsing Machine to walk normally.

Years
  • I'm a little weird.. I never really used the skates unless I was back tracking someplace I've already been through/had to grind a rail to get an out of reach item.

I didn't even touch the bike until I started doing massive breeding experimentations.

I usually used to directional pad and ran around <_<* .. The skates were pretty easy to ignore, but I do wish you at least had the option to change what the circle pad did.

Dude492

Hoenn Champion
    Years
  • I personally enjoyed the Skates, Allowing me to zip from the Day care to the Berry Fields in mere seconds, Though i did hate the fact that there wasn't any Roller-skating competitions or anything, You know, Do flips and 360's :( But i liked it, It was fast!

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    I'm a D-Pad person so it doesn't much matter to me.

That's perfectly understandable, being a massive handheld console fan I used to be the same. But then I slipped... I... I... got a PC and ACTUAL consoles. *weeps* I repent!! *weeps again*

Heh, I think it's personal preference - but my bet is that stick people are more likely Tekken players & D-pad people probably worship at the temple of Streetfighter.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
    Years
  • I absolutely love the skates! I find myself spinning almost all the time when I'm on my skates, and I really love doing the cosmic backflip. Though upon closer inspection, it looks like I spin on my shins... Ouch! And that can't be good for those super-expensive pants I'm wearing. For me, they make the bike redundant, and so I unregistered the bike to make room for other key items. I do miss hearing the bike music, though.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2015
    I'm not a huge fan of the skates. They are a neat new addition to the games, but I use the bike more. I love the bike in X and Y, since now we can use it to go in more directions. So basically, the bike > the skates imo.

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    I absolutely love the skates! I find myself spinning almost all the time when I'm on my skates, and I really love doing the cosmic backflip. Though upon closer inspection, it looks like I spin on my shins... Ouch! And that can't be good for those super-expensive pants I'm wearing. For me, they make the bike redundant, and so I unregistered the bike to make room for other key items. I do miss hearing the bike music, though.

Lol, I'll have to sing the "I'm on my bike song" for you sometime, I've posted the lyrics somewhere on the forums. If you're a real ninja you'll find them. :D

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • When I first got the skates I thought they were a cool; an efficient way of getting around without the bicycle. ...But when you're in a city they can be hell! I was devastated when I figured out that you can't switch them off, like you can with the Exp. Share. Using the directional pad to walk gives me cramps as well!

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I would have like the option of switching skate movement to the D-pad. It's just too natural to use the joystick for moving :(

Years
  • I would have like the option of switching skate movement to the D-pad. It's just too natural to use the joystick for moving :(

I don't think it would make sense to put skates on the d-pad. The entire point of the skates was to allow for unrestricted movement against the grid-like tile system that the game employs, and with a d-pad you still only get the 8 directions you start with.

I agree that they should be optional if everyone dislikes them, but I do see that they simply intended it for the skates to be able to do what the D-Pad should be able to do.

Hopefully in any subsequent games they either modify how the skates work or allow them to be toggled, since there shouldn't be any reason for people not being allowed to simply run around in an unrestricted-to-the-grid manner.

Years
  • Initially the skates seemed like a pretty cool feature. i used them a lot... that is until I found out that you can't use skates + dowsing machine(that was kind of annoying). I like the skates and learning all the tricks is cool, but the bike is still more efficient I think. Especially when trying to enter a building... *Spends 5 minutes trying to get into pokemon center*

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    I don't think it would make sense to put skates on the d-pad. The entire point of the skates was to allow for unrestricted movement against the grid-like tile system that the game employs, and with a d-pad you still only get the 8 directions you start with.

I agree that they should be optional if everyone dislikes them, but I do see that they simply intended it for the skates to be able to do what the D-Pad should be able to do.

Hopefully in any subsequent games they either modify how the skates work or allow them to be toggled, since there shouldn't be any reason for people not being allowed to simply run around in an unrestricted-to-the-grid manner.

I see what you mean, moving skates to the D-Pad restricts movement to a degree... and that's the main issue that I have with them. My walking/running is restricted instead - and while I CAN always use the D-Pad whenever I want to walk, the D-Pad is in a much less comfortable position on the 3DS.

Just assigning the skates to a shoulder button would have worked as they're not used for anything else... while we're here... I want my bike bell back! :D

Back