• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Sketches

Years
  • 2015 resolution: get back into drawing. The title of the thread is sketches because that's mostly what I do and what you will see. I don't often create polished images.

I posted this in the discussion thread about what makes us artists, but to repeat, I stopped drawing on a regular basis when I was 17 (over 10 years ago now) due to study. I have been trying to get back into it with little success but I'm determined to do so this year.

I used to draw anime style when I was a teenager but have since decided I rather a more western look and have been trying to develop a different style. I'm still trying to hammer it out.

Please provide any and all constructive criticisms. There are a lot of areas I need improvement on. :-)

Pokemon Fan Art
    Spoiler:

Other Fan Art
    Spoiler:

Original Characters or Studies
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

The ???

The one true question mark
    Years
  • I really really like your style.. its somewhere between anime and realistic, and simple yet professional. ^^
    Overall, what's your aim? It seems like you want to make some comic/cartoon/manga things since you're paying more attention to the same characters in different poses / moods..
    Since you are kinda developing your own style, I really can't say much about proportions and ratios, but still I think the nose needs a little more work on it, those have to look very much the same in all drawings unless there's a drastic pose change.
    That's about it, you should try to create a full complete drawing though, possibly a scenario with 2-3 characters from a rather unique camera angle, there I will be able to notice more of what you're lacking..
    You should also watch Mark Crilley on YouTube, he explains exactly what you're doing :)

Years
  • I really really like your style.. its somewhere between anime and realistic, and simple yet professional. ^^
    Overall, what's your aim? It seems like you want to make some comic/cartoon/manga things since you're paying more attention to the same characters in different poses / moods..
    Since you are kinda developing your own style, I really can't say much about proportions and ratios, but still I think the nose needs a little more work on it, those have to look very much the same in all drawings unless there's a drastic pose change.
    That's about it, you should try to create a full complete drawing though, possibly a scenario with 2-3 characters from a rather unique camera angle, there I will be able to notice more of what you're lacking..
    You should also watch Mark Crilley on YouTube, he explains exactly what you're doing :)

Thanks for the feedback. :-)

I was thinking about making a comic to force me out of my comfort zone when drawing but I'm not a writer so that makes it difficult. I tend to focus on faces when I draw and don't often draw much else. I do need to branch out a bit more and when I do I'll post it.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    These have a great comicy feel to it. I especially like the Rupert and Marie characters you've drawn. They seem so clean and nice. You should totally try a comic! It's probably great practice and you have the character basis already. I can't wait to see more of your work!

Years
  • This is what I figure staraptor would look like if a real bird. As it has "raptor" in its name and has a flared tail I based the design strongly on a wedge tailed eagle. As feathers cannot lie in the opposite direction of the bulk, I have made the comb more like the crest on a cockatoo, which it would flare up as it feels like and possibly curl over.
    Spoiler:

Crady

It ain't even bright in here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2016
    I really REALLY like your original character of studies sketch :) It's awesome IMHO

Back