• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Years
  • I'm pretty sure there are a lot of you guys here that use Skype, so here's a little topic to chat about it..

Do you guys use Skype at all? How often do you use Skype? What do you use Skype for? Just some thoughts to put out there. 8)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen yesterday
    I sign in whenever I'm on my laptop, and sometimes my phone; MSN/Windows Live used to be my preferred IM and I only used Skype for voice calls, but since I merged accounts I'm pretty much on Skype every day. I've gotten pretty used to it so it's not so bad, but I kinda miss being able to make my own emoticons on MSN though, haha.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I don't use Skype as much as I should. xD;

By that I mean that it's the main way that me and a lot of my online and offline friends keep in contact, since we're so busy a lot of the time. Though, I have this thing where I keep to myself a lot, and so sometimes I'm bad about being on there on a regular basis.

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2017
    I use skype every day to talk with online friends, it isn't as good as MSN was but it does the job XD
    I've tried to use ICQ for IM, it's just perfect but nobody used it D:

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I personally can't live without Skype; use it all the time to keep in touch with pretty much everybody, including those from both online and real life. Many people seem to keep this kind of stuff separated by creating two different accounts (one for former and other for latter), but I'm not really like that; I only use one account, because to me, it's much, much more convenient. I personally wasn't into this IM system few years back, but had to switch to it once MSN was killed off, and haven't looked back ever since. I love its interface; it's very simplistic, if you ask me. Plus, it starts up pretty fast, too. :] Only thing I dislike is that it tends to freeze itself every once in a while, and sometimes, the program wouldn't get back to normal unless you force quite. I've searching for some workaround, but unfortunately, I couldn't find any. Oh well; for now, I suppose I'll have to live with it. Could be a little bothersome, but aside from that, it's not exactly a huge deal.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Not often. I use it at work because I have to. At home, I use it if someone wants me to (or for the PC event).

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • When it's not during school/college week, Ilog into Skype every day, and I'm constantly searching for any active users I know from here. Unfortunately, it also causes me to go to Facebook and Steam less often.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • I use Skype for a video chat with some friends occasionally, but don't really use the IM feature because on the rare occurrence we all get on Skype we just use video/voice, since we already use Facebook IM and mostly just text if we're not hanging out. What I mainly use it for is to talk to people from a Minecraft server that I'm a Helper on. We have a group chat set up for staff and one set up for players to all talk at once. Sometimes I will also do a voice chat with some staff members when we are making changes to the server or discussing important things.

Years
  • I have Skype open 24/7 on my computer. Does it mean that I use it all of the time? Well, I do actually. It has become a part of my daily life. Skype is the main way of communication for me, it's very convenient because you are able to have all of your friends into one list of contacts that you can just instantly send a message to. The best part about Skype is that the messaging part is free! I have real life and online friends on my Skype contact list. I'm not the one to be in any calls with anyone, I'm a little too shy for that kind of stuff sadly. I don't only use Skype to stay in contact with my friends, I also use it for other things, like group chats with a forum that I am a moderator on. Discussion is a lot easier that way. The simplistic style of Skype is something that I am a fan of, it's not Windows 8 clean but it's good enough for me. Something that I hate about Skype that is very recent is the inclusion of some random advertisement on the top of any chat/personal conversations that I am in. I don't like to full screen stuff like that, so I had to expand the window more. I'm also not a fan of a lot of their emotes, including the very recent cat emoticon. Other than any of that, it's a great way to communicate with others.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I use Skype a lot, but it's usually only to talk to my boyfriend or a few other friends. I don't like the video calls part, so I always avoid that. I just use it the same as I did when I had MSN, really. Most of the time, Skype is open 24/7 on my laptop. Unfortunately, I don't have very many friends on there though. I do, but I don't talk to them. It's hard for me to initiate conversation because of my autism.

Years
  • I almost always sign into Skype the moment I get on my laptop. It's how I communicate with one of my closest friends, plus many Proboards/JCink RPs use it as do the staff for the forum I'm a mod on. It's also a more convenient way to talk to my parents since I can't stand the radiation from my phone DX

Years
  • Skype is pretty much open on my computer 24/7, so if somebody ever messages me chances are I will see it xD

My typical Skype usage is mainly to chat with others, especially the others I have here on PC whenever I want to chat with them, and some other friends as well. I also talk to my pair on a near-daily basis as well via IM on Skype. Very rarely do I actually make calls with Skype, let alone video calls.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • I use the IM portion almost daily, and I use the voice a lot when gaming. - I really like having a lot of people on skype, but the experience is subpar... I'm trying to convince my friends to use a different service, but I'm not really sure what.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • if you don't have skype, what other choice do you have IM-wise anyway?

I have skype on as soon as my computer starts up. I talk to some friends on forums if they are online though I sometimes get random messages from others. why does this happen when I'm in the middle of something and not when I'm bored?

IM 98% of the time and rarely (if ever) do I do video calls.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Since getting my iPhone + my new data plan for my phone, I've rarely signed out of skype. I use it all the time to chat/call friends, family, bf, etc. I'm always DND because I don't wanna be flooded with so many chats and stuff, but I try my best to respond to most IMs as possible. I'm rarely "available". lol

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm practically on Skype 24/7. Even while asleep. Thank goodness for Skype integration on my phone, tablet, and laptop, and mobile data connections. It's practically an extension to phone functionality at this point that happens to great at messaging at this point for me.

Bonus points for the desktop app also doing Facebook.

Years
  • Skype is one of the programs that's always on my dock, but rarely ever used \: I'd prefer to be communicated through text messages, but the people whom I don't share numbers with either find me through Facebook messenger or Skype. And there's only been a couple times where I've actually used the video chat so even though it is rather useful in terms of communicating with anyone, it's not a program that I use on a daily basis.

Back