• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen "Smell Ya Later!": The Rival Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
    Years
    I want a rival that starts out as your best friend, and worthy adversary, but as the game progresses, he gets more and more jealous of your growing fame and exceptional skill that he slowly becomes more and more of a jerk and resentful towards you, until you beat him at the Pokemon League, snapping him out of his funk and rekindling your friendship.

o_o What they said ^

That is perfect. I'd also like a "Friendly" rival that is more of a challenge than Brendan/May.

Penutz

Breeder & Collector
    Years
    I dont really enjoy friendly rivals. The fact that they dont cry & sook after a battle is unsastisfying. Also he should perhaps stay outta the pokemon league.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    Here's a twist to consider...what if you have a rival that starts off friendly like Barry, but throughout the course of the game, he becomes deeply entwined in the villainous team, working his way up to admin level or something, and becoming more and more degrading and snarky towards you as the story unfolds.

After you encounter him in the villainous team's final hideout, you battle him and whatnot...after he loses, he comes to his senses and realizes the error in his ways...just in time to join you in a double battle against the villainous team's Big Bad duo.
    Hey, cool Idea! I was also thinking something along those lines!

Years
    I would really like a female rival! A mean and fierce, yet very beautiful girl. She's secretly in love with you, and she tends to show it occasionally, but not very often. Her father could be like the boss of the villainous team, and she struggles between being daddy's mean girl and being a good girl (which she really is, but is not allowed to show it). As the story goes on and you battle her a few times, she becomes more and more friendly, but still has that mean attitude. When you reach the part of the story when you battle the boss of the villainous team, she'll be there to help you in a double battle against her father and his fellow amico. After this battle, the love between you grows as she continues to be your rival throughout the whole story... Or something like this.

I just thought that since the characters are getting older, why not mature and spice up the story a little bit more? xD

xDaisuke0

Aspiring Professor
    Years
    I'd like to see one of Opposite Gender to your gender and them being 'bad' like Gary, and Kind of like Paul in the Anime. But end up LIKING you, a lot haha.
    That'd be cute.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    I would like a rival to be a female in all cases. I'd really like her to be mysterious, kind of like silver just not power crazy. When you first meet her, she'll be doing something you conceive as "bad" or "evil" such as breaking into a pokemart or something, and you stop her. Then, she respects the way you love your pokemon and self proclaims herself your rival. As the story progresses, she'll challenge you more and you'll see her doing more bad things. By the climax, all the bad things she did willl be revealed to be for a greater cauuse, to save the legendary or something, and you find out she's actually a really good person.
    Interesting.

Frankly, I'd want to have 2 rivals. Both rivals that actually challenge you. I don't like the way they potray the rivals in previous games. Gary was going "Smell ya' later! but here's a fame checker." Silver is like "I'm clearly better but why are you always winning? D:". Don't even get me started on Lyra. I don't want a pseudo-rival who calls and say that her Marill has evolved but clearly not. May and Wally, which one's your rival again? I like the concept but the way they portray it is like, wtf. Wally wants to get stronger so he disappears with Ralts and stops you at the Victory Road. May is good, as she can be battled optionally, too. Barry is nice, but he alwats scares the hell outta me as he randomly bumps me. Dawn's Pokemon are weak but you double battle with her?

Maybe, I'd want something like this:
    Rival A is the opposite gendered character you didn't choose and Rival B is the main rival. Rival B would appear from nowhere and challenge you from time to time, while Rival A would appear at random times with nothing major going on and can be battled optionally and would block you from entering a building if you goes ahead of the storyline by battling you. (Think of May in the Lilycove Dept. Store) and maybe some characters would imply to you about a love interest of Rival A for you (Dawn, comment from Mars and Lyra, comment from the day care elderly.) You, Rival A and B try to become the champion with you as 1st place, B at second and A for third. After that, you can battle B at Sat and Sun while A at Tues and Wed. Before entering the battle frontier, a double battle will commence and you can pick a partner, whether A or B. And you can team upwith them on the Battle Tower, too.

Asfor their attitude, maybe like Barry. You friend but mostly your rival and May, helpful but can be an obstacle. I hope they don't make it like Leaf, where she disapppears throughout the game.

Although, I'm just fine if they make the pseudo-rival having decent and gender neutral Pokemon. (Am I the only one disturbed that Lucas uses Clefairy as a main Pokemon and Ethan running around with a Marill?)

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Considering the game is in the city, and seems to be quite a big city at that, I imagine the hero and the rival having competition with eachother more so than the past games. I would also go out on a whim and think that they have a lot of common acquaintances and friends.

I hope that this time we get more of a rush and more of a connection with the rival, like previously in the games you just sort of battled them every now and then. It'd be nice to see a little more awareness that you and your rival are competitors rather than battling chums so to speak.

I might have high expectations on the matter though it'll be interesting to see what they come up with as things have been somewhat dynamic from what we've seen, I'd expect that your relationship with your rival wont differ greatly.

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
    Years
    I was thinking it was time for a girl. Period. Just one rival, and a girl. Maybe like an emo/goth girl, that seriously hates you :P That would be awesome.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Yeah, I never really thought about the rival(s) untill now.

If there was 2 rivals i'd like to battle BOTH of them instead of one like in D/P/PT.

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
    Years
    I personally wish that the new rival will be a complete jerk, if not a baddie but atleast very arrogant and mean 'cause it is always twice as funny and cool to beat the meanie's team than your old friend's who shares the same goal as you do. :'DD And for the 5th Gen games I wish that they make the new rival be girl because we've already seen four, two jerks and two really annoying happy-go-lucky rivals who have been all males.

Crysta Blade

Shooty Refutey
    Years
    Yes, I really want a girl rival. And I also want the opposite gender character to become a secondary rival, as opposed to just being the Professor's assistant.

I can't say I'd be happy if the new rival is a jerk in the vein of Gen 1 and 2's rivals. Calling you a weak loser when you've beaten the stuffing out of them half a dozen times makes them look like complete idiots.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    I want a rival that you can progress past, even after you lose, and just take away the penalty. That way, they really COULD be better than you (granted, most people would just reload, but that's besides the point). Although I haven't played D/P/Pt yet (those Pokemon really put me off :\), I really like the way the rival is in that game; the best-friend kinda guy with whom you share a mutual respect for.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I'd like to have one that starts off as an arrogant **** like in GSC, but as you run into and beat him/her over time they become more friendly towards you and by the time you reach the league, you're pretty good friends. Sort of progressing from Silver to Barry in terms of personality.

I want a rival that starts out as your best friend, and worthy adversary, but as the game progresses, he gets more and more jealous of your growing fame and exceptional skill that he slowly becomes more and more of a jerk and resentful towards you, until you beat him at the Pokemon League, snapping him out of his funk and rekindling your friendship.
    Basically the opposite of this.

EDIT: Okay, I didn't expect that to be censored , but never mind it still makes sense

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    GARY OAK FOREVER, PERIOD.
    you mean Blue(Green in japanese) right, why do people call Blue/Green Gary just because of the anime! you don't see people call Red ash all the time!

Wonder what the main characters names will be, I mean after Gen 2 the main characters except in the FRLG remakes all had names different from the versions they even changed Golds name to Ethan and Crystals to Lyra... we got to name silver so he got no specific name change... Ruby was Brendan Sapphire was May, Diamond was Lucas, Platinum was Dawn, Pearl was the rival which again we got to name... we actually get to name every rival with the exception of RSE's rival... whether that rival was May/Brendan or Wally...
    Well what do you think will be their names?
    wait that was a little off topic wasn't it?

Evee dude86

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    you mean Blue(Green in japanese) right, why do people call Blue/Green Gary just because of the anime! you don't see people call Red ash all the time!

Wonder what the main characters names will be, I mean after Gen 2 the main characters except in the FRLG remakes all had names different from the versions they even changed Golds name to Ethan and Crystals to Lyra... we got to name silver so he got no specific name change... Ruby was Brendan Sapphire was May, Diamond was Lucas, Platinum was Dawn, Pearl was the rival which again we got to name... we actually get to name every rival with the exception of RSE's rival... whether that rival was May/Brendan or Wally...
    Well what do you think will be their names?
    wait that was a little off topic wasn't it?

Well I started watching the anime b4 I started playin the game. I know em as Gary, sounds alot better than a color lol, but u right I guess, but Ima stay callin em Gary.

Benjamin510

The King of Typio's!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2016
    I would really like a female rival! A mean and fierce, yet very beautiful girl. She's secretly in love with you, and she tends to show it occasionally, but not very often. Her father could be like the boss of the villainous team, and she struggles between being daddy's mean girl and being a good girl (which she really is, but is not allowed to show it). As the story goes on and you battle her a few times, she becomes more and more friendly, but still has that mean attitude. When you reach the part of the story when you battle the boss of the villainous team, she'll be there to help you in a double battle against her father and his fellow amico. After this battle, the love between you grows as she continues to be your rival throughout the whole story... Or something like this.

I just thought that since the characters are getting older, why not mature and spice up the story a little bit more? xD
    YES~! since the character are older! Why not have stuff like this!? Yeah!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'd like to have one that starts off as an arrogant **** like in GSC, but as you run into and beat him/her over time they become more friendly towards you and by the time you reach the league, you're pretty good friends. Sort of progressing from Silver to Barry in terms of personality.

I vote for that too.

Only, I want a female rival, for once. And I want to be able to choose her name, like in Gen I and II. I really didn't like the names Brendan and May............. -.-

Silver was the coolest antagonist. Game Silver was badass. Manga Silver was revengefully badass. I'd like the new rival to be like he is in Pokémon Special Manga. He and Gold are friends at the end thar~

rndm.

Mostly inactive D:
    Years
    THUD!!

I do NOT want this ever again. The rival should not be a hyper-active squirrel like in DPPt.

Silver was okay, but I'd like the rival to be a person known by the player for a long time.
    ...a bit like Blue/Green.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back