• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen SMOGON'S RNG SHINY METHOD - HOAX ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Hi, thought i would post my experience over the last two days of trying to get the Random Number Generator Method to help catch Shinys on my Pearl.

I have read, read & re-read all of the help guides on the Smogon site. I luckily caught a non-chained shiny Dratini last month & used this to determine my SID (Secret ID)
    I've checked, & triple checked the calc on the SID & im sure its correct to the process outlined on smogon.

Since that, I've followed the method 4 times (on average 1 hour per time) & each time the Egg produced has been Non-shiny.

Anyone who's aware of this method, knows that you have to use RNG Software which is downloadable, + have the happiness checker poketech & coin toss poketech.
    The longest number of dbl taps ive done on the happ checker was 806 !!! + 11 coin tosses !! numb fingers afterwards !!!

the 4th time i tryed to hatch a wobuffet shiny the RNG software produced a possible shiny egg by tapping the happ checker just 5 times, & the coin toss just 4 times. GREAT i thought easy shiny, but no , after hatching it after 8000 steps it turned out to be ordinary blue, failure again.

So I wonder ? is this just some elaborate prank made up to waste millions of pokefans time/lives or am I just going wrong somewhere ?? anyone on this forum had success using this method ??? Or is this post a valuable message for everyone to steer well clear of this RNG Method nonsense in future. The Truth is out there...somewhere.

Years
    I haven't done it myself, but I find it hard to believe that the thread on smogon, which is over 400 pages long, is all just an elaborate scheme to waste people's time. :/

Have you followed the video tutorial? There's always the possibility that you did something wrong.

Zowayix

hi
    Years
    Are you sure you calculated the IVs of your Dratini correctly?

If necessary, you might want to clone it and trade it to someone with an AR so they can check its Secret ID and IVs directly.

Also, make sure you are not flipping past the Happiness Checker app while reaching the Coin Flip app.
    For example, if you accidentally went past the Coin Flip app, and you are using D/P so you can't scroll backward, then you loop around to the first app to get back to Coin Flip, you have triggered the Happiness Checker the moment "06" shows up in the top right corner. This will throw off the RNG.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2010
    How high in level was your shiny before checking its ivs? If you did it too low a level you'll get an inaccurate result.

Also I wouldn't recommend doing anything that gives you results around 800 like you got, it's really easy to lose track. Are you using international parents? You get less taps that way.

Also, make sure you are not flipping past the Happiness Checker app while reaching the Coin Flip app.
    For example, if you accidentally went past the Coin Flip app, and you are using D/P so you can't scroll backward, then you loop around to the first app to get back to Coin Flip, you have triggered the Happiness Checker the moment "06" shows up in the top right corner. This will throw off the RNG.

I read that somewhere but I've done it a few times without it effecting whether or not I get the shiny.

Sebastien Loeb

Motorsport Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    Are you sure you calculated the IVs of your Dratini correctly?

If necessary, you might want to clone it and trade it to someone with an AR so they can check its Secret ID and IVs directly.

You in effects is absolutely right on this point of view.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    The RNG is a game mechanic, not a hoax; I've been successful plenty of times.

Here are some tips:

Do not equip the female/Ditto with an Everstone.

Use international parents (for example, a Japanese or German Ditto with your English Gyarados) for lower taps.

For counting, tally every 10 or 20 taps on a scrap sheet of paper or something.

Tap with 6 Pokemon in the party.

Ultimately, check the nature of what you hatched. For example, if the RNG Reporter produced a target "Shiny Timid Female" and you hatched a normal Timid Female, then you have the wrong SID. If you hatched a normal Calm Male, then you are miscounting the taps or as Zowayix mentioned, you are triggering the Happiness app multiple times.

If you're an active trader/battler, just be sure to resave. If your character's last "activity" was visiting the Wifi/Union room, your RNG may be off (I think this only applies to IV RNG abusing, not shiny RNg abusing, but whatever, it still may be off).

You need to pinpoint your problem...

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    As has been said, you are obviously going wrong somewhere. It definitely does work, so make sure you retrace your steps and calculate things again.

But in future, please use the simple Q&A thread for this.

*locks*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back