• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Smokers FTL

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    I personally hate smoking and continue to ask why it is still legal, the only good thing is that it relieves stress, and there are plenty of other things out there that can do the job just as well, and some probably even better.
    As for people who do smoke, I don't care about them or if they do it, its up to them if they want to deteriorate their own body and in a pathetic fashion. So as I may not say anything to them and tell them to stop, I still lose any possible past respect I had for them and look down on them as worthless people. :x

Actually... incorrect. Nicotine is a stimulant, much like caffeine. So if anything, it makes you more antsy and more neurotic than you were before. If someone says that going outside and smoking a cigarette calms them down, they're lying - or it's in their head. Chances are it's the air outside that calms them down.

As for Second Hand Smoke, the fact is... it does nothing. Second hand smoke is no more dangerous to your lungs than breathing New York air. I believe it was originally stated by the ACS, or some cancer/lung association, that second hand smoke kills thousands in an old report they sent to the Supreme Court. Know what? They made it all up. They fudged statistics, and put their own opinions as facts.

Smoking is bad, no doubt... but don't you worry for a second about second hand smoke. The only bad thing it can do to you is make your cloths smelly. And even then, I'm sure there are perfumes out there by Brittany Spear or Madonna that would make you smell far worse.

-Jinx-

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    Theres nothing wrong with smoking. It's gross, but if you don't like it then don't smoke right ;3
    No reason to look down on or try to stop people that smoke. Its their choice.

I smoke, personally I love it. But I wouldn't recommend that anyone start, unless they want to die young.​

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
    you cant ban smoking, next it will be alcohol, in my country they are trying too but its a choice. it dosnet really releave stress, thats just folklore. nicotine is just highly addictive.

Prohibition, you mean?
    Didn't work then, doubt it would work now.

Umm, frankly I don't have a problem with people who smoke. I don't like the smell but it's no big deal to me. If people want to smoke, okay. I'm never going to, I can't afford to risk throat cancer and losing my singing voice.

PokemonRox

h a r u h i
    Years
    I dont really like smoking but it doesnt bother me that much I really hate the smell of the smoke though.. but I live with a house full of smokers so.. like i said i've gotten used to the smell but i dont like it that much

Midnight Beat

elit resu motsuc
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023

Prohibition, you mean?
    Didn't work then, doubt it would work now.
    Ah..oh...um, granted it would be similar but, I don't think the Prohibition and banning smoking are comparable. The Prohibition was added to the constitution because husbands would go out to the bars and spend all their money on alcohol, leaving no money for their family to eat, not to mention how they would beat their families in drunken rage. The Prohibition was backed mainly by the wives, because they were sick of starving and being hit. But banning smoking is a completely different story. For one, you can smoke at home. And I know, you can drink at home too, but not very much 1920's. And smoking doesn't cause you to go into a rage that would cause you to abuse your family. And lastly, smoking isn't cheap, but it doesn't cost as much as drinking did back then.

Not to say that is wasn't a good point to bring up. o_o;

Last edited:

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
    Ah..oh...um, granted it would be similar but, I don't think the Prohibition and banning smoking are comparable. The Prohibition was added to the constitution because husbands would go out to the bars and spend all their money on alcohol, leaving no money for their family to eat, not to mention how they would beat their families in drunken rage. The Prohibition was backed mainly by the wives, because they were sick of starving and being hit. But banning smoking is a completely different story. For one, you can smoke at home. And I know, you can drink at home too, but not very much 1920's. And smoking doesn't cause you to go into a rage that would cause you to abuse your family. And lastly, smoking isn't cheap, but it doesn't cost as much as drinking did back then.

Not to say that is wasn't a good point to bring up. o_o;

Oh yeah, I get what you're saying.

My main point was that criminalizing anything that is legally within the rights of someone, such as using drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes, may in effect cause more harm than good.

Which is why I support decriminalization of drugs in general: if you decriminalize them, we don't have all these people in jail for using a medication or something that was grown in the dirt of their backyard, and have their lives ruined because they wanted to feel good. If you want me to explain more, I will gladly.

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    I rarely see a person smoke nowadays. Well, actually, just the other day, I saw a pregnant woman whip out her cancer stick like it was nothing.

To be honest here ... I enjoy the smell of cigarettes, even though I never had a puff of one in my life. Still, I am in opposition of smoking when it comes to health issues. All anyone is doing about it is slapping a measly sin tax.

Lash

Years
    My dad and my sisters boyfriend always have a cigarette in my hand. I do have Athsma (or however you spell it), but it isn't too bad. I don't really feel any effect from the smoke, though they do smoke constantly.
    It does anger me though when I walk by either and either one of them is lighting a cigarette, though I shouldn't be getting angry, since I am considering smoking for real personal reasons :/

Lumine

Basement Cat
    Years
    It is one of the worst way to die, if not the worst. Smoking slowly kills your brain cells, rots your teeth, toughens your skin, wrinkles your face, messes your hair, ruins your esophagus, and gives your only brother stomach cramps that he doesn't realize are probably from smoking. Smoking causes plenty of cancer in the lungs, lips, gums, tongue, and pretty much everywhere else. It is probably the most unhealthy (legal) habit ever, and causes the death of somebody every ten seconds. Seriously, don't do it.

Years
    As for Second Hand Smoke, the fact is... it does nothing. Second hand smoke is no more dangerous to your lungs than breathing New York air. I believe it was originally stated by the ACS, or some cancer/lung association, that second hand smoke kills thousands in an old report they sent to the Supreme Court. Know what? They made it all up. They fudged statistics, and put their own opinions as facts.

Despite whether or not its harmful to those who breathe it in passively, some people can still experience immediate negative effects if they breathe it in.

Nacon

Item Trafficker
    Years
    I smoke, and if you went to the university I go to, the ever-so-present insolence and incompetence that you see around you would drive you to smoke... I feel compelled to light one up after every class... and when I'm home, my body doesn't scream for vitamin N or tar...

in terms of smoking... I love smoking hookah, it's nice... it feels cleaner, and I'm not coughing as much, and in fact, my non-cigarette smoking friends seem to enjoy it, as well.. taking a puff here and there...

but like anything, moderation is key.....

there's people who have been healthy their entire prime and get terminally ill out of the blue, while there's people that smoked 2-3 packs a day, and they're still walking around in their 80's and 90's...... it's all about genetics and luck, too.

nosferatu

so you like... stuff?..cool...
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Apr 1, 2008
    I've noticed about 80% of the people I see smoke. Not a very nice thing to see, but what can you do about it? What are your opinions on smoking?

I used to be disgusted by smokers, but as I went into high school, I saw that people used it as an easy way to avoid stress.

err you havent seen ville valo smoke then now that is a very pretty sight

anywho one to the subject i think a bigger problem is people drinking on the street atleast a smoker wont attack you lol

Nacon

Item Trafficker
    Years
    anyone can attack you, regardless of supplements....crackheads, hobos, or even that clean-cut drug-free person.

a drunk person might just want to go to sleep, for all you know...

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    Smoking is the biggest killer of modern times, even more than wars, the fact that people continue this disgusting habit, is the reason why it can't be stopped in terms of law.

Most smokers bring it upon thereselves and can stop with the right frame of mind. I pity those who are unable to prevent it happening, but feel that those who start or refuse to stop are no more than making a stupid decision.

Nacon

Item Trafficker
    Years
    smoking isn't the biggest killer in modern times..... death is....
    what I mean by that is anything can kill you. Car accident, heart attack, scary movies, being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

but like I keep saying... moderation is key... overindulgence is harmful.

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    Smoking is the biggest killer of modern times, even more than wars, the fact that people continue this disgusting habit, is the reason why it can't be stopped in terms of law.

Most smokers bring it upon thereselves and can stop with the right frame of mind. I pity those who are unable to prevent it happening, but feel that those who start or refuse to stop are no more than making a stupid decision.

quiting is very hard
    i did it

you cant just go "poof" I've quit. Doesn't work like that.

Memory

let's waste time ✖
    Years
    smoking isn't the biggest killer in modern times..... death is....
    what I mean by that is anything can kill you. Car accident, heart attack, scary movies, being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

but like I keep saying... moderation is key... overindulgence is harmful.
    But, my friend, death isn't a cause of death. Death is what happens from a cause of death, if you get what I mean.

I've heard it is hard to stop smoking, and that is very addicting, which is why I'm hoping for my life, literally, that I will -never- smoke even one puff.

Years
    Smoking defeats overpopulation.

Thats all there is to it really.

Im doing my bit for the sake of the world by ensuring im not going to be an old waste of space, and that i'll die early.

We cant smake in pubs and clubs, or undercover areas or any shops for that matter. Smoking in any sort of enclosed space is illegal. This limits the smokers to certain areas.

Gives you the option.
    A massive multitude of smokers are social. This measn the smoke, simply because they have someone to smoke with.

I havet had a smoke for two days, yet im not craving. I just havent had anyone to smoke with.

Back