• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Smoking

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    How do you feel about smoking? Should it be banned? Or do smokers have the right to make that choice for themselves? But wait, what about the people who don't smoke and have to be subjected to second hand smoke? Maybe we should just strengthen the laws to protect non-smokers? If so, how would you go about enforcing these strengthened laws(i.e. only smoking inside a private residence/a business designed for it)? Would it even be worth it?

This isn't just cigarettes, although I suppose that would be the primary topic. But what about other things that people smoke such as legal herbs that are typically free of some of the more harsh additives that smoking tobacco contains?

You don't have to answer all those questions and frankly it would make for a boring discussion if that is what you did. They just exist to maybe you get thinking about the topic and some ideas flowing as to how you really feel. There are a lot of aspects that this discussion could cover!

Saki

The Fire Fox
    Years
  • People are free to choose to smoke and I will respect that as best as I can. I do not want to endure second hand smoke though and in most situations I will move myself out of the way of it out of courteously. I do not choose to smoke for myself though, and I never will because I have been made aware with the cons of such a habit.

In a perfect world no one would smoke, but in a perfect world no one would have addictions and no one would make money off of those said addictions. The concept of "smoking" has more to it than meets the eye.

#DickBats

Oliver Queen
    Years
  • My Mom and Sister smoke a lot, 1 1/2 pack of cigarettes daily. I've never smoked neither been tempted to it. I think cigarettes are just a waste of money with no beneficial attribute whatsoever, at least Marijuana gets you high(never smoked weed btw). That being said, if cigarettes get banned, people will illegally sell them, just as other drugs. Leave it as it is.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    I find the discussion of cigarette smoking to be a rather... futile one, I suppose. When it comes to personal opinion, you get those who are opposed to it on moral/health/financial grounds or you get those who are aware of the risks of smoking but do it for the meanwhile anyway. Both camps generally don't sway on their opinion, though the latter camp can change due to them, well, getting sick.
    So, the discussion of smoking in a personal regard gets tiring to me.

As for laws/legislation/etc, I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. But, coming from a New Zealand perspective, the 'Shame 'til the Numbers Drop' tactic of legislation seems to be working, given the rather heavy legislation surrounding cigarette smoking here and the distinct fall in the rates of smoking. Over here, the focus is not on regulating the cigarettes themselves, but essentially making it harder and harder to use them anywhere but your private residence. Then, the second aspect is to shame the users through the blaring of health risks to the user & their friends/family, social stigmas, etc. The shaming & constriction way of attacking smoking rates is working for a small country such as New Zealand, but I don't think it could be applied to larger countries.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I hate smoking. I used to smoke, but it just does absolutely nothing for me. As for legalizing marijuana, that's just a no. I don't need idiots every where and more idiots being more idiotic.

Years
  • I find the discussion of cigarette smoking to be a rather... futile one, I suppose. When it comes to personal opinion, you get those who are opposed to it on moral/health/financial grounds or you get those who are aware of the risks of smoking but do it for the meanwhile anyway. Both camps generally don't sway on their opinion, though the latter camp can change due to them, well, getting sick.
    So, the discussion of smoking in a personal regard gets tiring to me.

As for laws/legislation/etc, I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. But, coming from a New Zealand perspective, the 'Shame 'til the Numbers Drop' tactic of legislation seems to be working, given the rather heavy legislation surrounding cigarette smoking here and the distinct fall in the rates of smoking. Over here, the focus is not on regulating the cigarettes themselves, but essentially making it harder and harder to use them anywhere but your private residence. Then, the second aspect is to shame the users through the blaring of health risks to the user & their friends/family, social stigmas, etc. The shaming & constriction way of attacking smoking rates is working for a small country such as New Zealand, but I don't think it could be applied to larger countries.

Actually it is working reasonably well here in Australia and we're one of the largest countries. We have some pretty effective ad campaigns which play a big role and heavy legislation on smoking.

As for the actual act, I think it is very stupid to do it but I respect people's right to make that decision so long as other people - such as the smoker's children and the general public - are not affected. I don't think outright banning cigarettes and the like would be smart, most countries have pretty heavy taxation placed on the industry (much like the alcohol industry) which provides pretty decent government revenue.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I think it's up to the individual person to smoke or not. The health concerns are common sense nowadays, so it's not like blaring those on an even louder speaker is going to do anything. The reason people keep smoking is addiction, and the reason some people don't stop is because they think that the bad things will never happen to them. It makes them feel good, and nothing bad has happened yet, so why stop?

Do I think there should be legislation about it? In short, no. Well, at least not a total grip on the entire smoking industry. I kind of like the situation we have in the US now where smoking is prohibited in most indoor locations, but is allowed mostly everywhere else. Although, what Australia is doing sounds appealing as well, but maybe a bit overwhelming.

I don't like smoking at all, but some people really do, and it's hard for me to just exclude those people out and act like their opinions don't matter, so I like some type of middle ground.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I used to be a smoker myself and had a total "You aren't smoking it so shut up attitude!" But now that I don't smoke I see how silly I was to actually feel that way. Personally, I believe smoking should more heavily regulated. Either only in private areas, or with public areas that are specifically designated for it.

I say this, because I've had lung surgery and being around smoke bothers me. I'm sure its relatively harmless when I walk past someone smoking a cigarette, but if I'm like sitting at the bus stop and the person sitting next to me or standing just outside of the little area is smoking it bothers me a great deal--especially if the smoke is coming my way. I understand the person who who stood up and took a few steps away is trying to be courteous, but they clearly aren't paying attention to the way that the wind is blowing or something. I'm sure they would happily remedy the situation(in most cases) if I merely said something to them, but that is just extremely awkward!

That being said, what do you think about ads like this?
    Spoiler:
    Personally, I find them extremely distasteful because while based on what they said they technically haven't made any mistruths, they are heavily implying them. Urea is not urine. And Methane is not feces. While they did not directly state that, they clearly are gunning for you to promote a strong connection between the two. I don't promote the idea of misleading people even if the goal is at heart a good one.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I dislike smoking for health reasons and try my best to avoid lingering in smoking areas. My father smokes and my mum quit 2 years ago so I'm a less...toxic environment. Nonetheless I don't judge those who smoke. I don't have any interest in it myself but if others' want to do it, sure. The only smoking I do want to do though, is shisha. Mainly because it's cultural and I have yet to try it.

As for legislation? Well here in Australia we already have some pretty heavy tobacco legislation.
    a) It cannot be advertised on radio, TV, magazines or newspapers.
    b) Cannot be offered as a free "sample" two the public
    c) A health warning must be on all packaging
    etc.

And hey, I'm not arguing.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I don't think it should be banned, I just don't think it should be promoted as much as it is. Fact is, there's a lot of things in this world that are bad for you, especially if you did it excessively every day (drinking alcohol for one). However the cigarette industry is just so large that it's hard to trim down the influence it has.

People have the choice on how much they smoke, the health warnings are everywhere, cigarettes are simply one of many instruments of addiction and health discrepancies. Though there is no stronger ad campaign than human negligence.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • For tobacco:
    Outdoors: should be allowed
    In private residences: should definitely be allowed
    In commercial businesses: if desired by the business, but only in designated areas and proper ventilation should be required as a prerequisite

For marijuana:
    Outdoors: in designated areas
    In private residences: should definitely be allowed
    In commercial businesses: if desired by the business, but only in designated areas and proper ventilation should be required as a prerequisite

Years
  • I really cannot say that I approve of smoking. Not only is it hard for other people to be around people who always leave cigarettes in other areas, but it's toxic and it's been promoted all around the world that it needs to go. As for marijuana, if people want to get high then i'll go with that, since that's at least funny seeing them get high. But not smoking.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • The thing is, I am largely opposed to tobacco use. However, I see no reason as to why we should BAN tobacco altogether. Remember alcoholic prohibition? That didn't go well.
    I always go under this thought:
    Do whatever you want in the privacy of your own home. If it involves other people, than it is OK as long as they offer consent, and are capable of doing so.

Smoking is interesting, due to the effects of secondhand smoke.
    Secondhand smoke contains 70 carcinogens, which has caused 2.5 million deaths of nonsmokers since 1964, acc. to the CDC. That's ~50,000 deaths of nonsmokers per year due to secondhand smoke.
    This poses a problem- outside air is a right to everyone, but secondhand smoke is a prevalent factor. Therefore, nonsmoking areas are designated. It seems to be a happy medium imo. My college, imo has gone too far, and has banned smoking throughout all campuses. This is too much. I'm perfectly fine with smoking areas; I'll simply avoid them.

Next, cancer rates. In the US, 13% of lung cancer cases were associated with tobacco use.
    Also,
    In 2011, 82 percent of those living with lung cancer were 60 years of age or older

Next,
    obacco smoking caused an estimated 101,000 deaths in the UK in 2010 - almost a fifth (18%) of all deaths from all causes.
    It caused an estimated 43,000 cancer deaths in the UK in 2010 - more than a quarter (27%) of all cancer deaths.
    The UK appears to be a little worse off. I question why?

I don't think tobacco is quite as bad as people paint the picture.
    Most people with lung cancer are old, and this comes off to me as long-term, regular smokers getting cancer "eventually."
    This is contrary to someone who smokes like 2 cigars a month.
    Obviously, nicotine is an addictive property, regardless, and needs to be treated with care.
    Also, most of these people had smoked a lot more than a couple of cigarettes in a month's time.

Also, most tobacco cancer instances have been linked to the phosphate-based fertilizers. Seriously:
    Where do the radionuclides in tobacco come from? The fertilizer that farmers use to increase the size of their tobacco crops contains the naturally occurring radionuclide, radium. Radium radioactively decays to release radon, which rises from the soil around the plants. The radon and its decay products cling to the sticky hairs (trichomes) on the bottom of tobacco leaves as the plant grows. The decay products include radioactive elements lead-210 and polonium-210. Rain does not wash them away.
    Smokers exposed to radon are more likely to develop lung cancer than non-smokers.

As for marijuana, I don't need to outline the myriad of health benefits.
    I will address cancer rates.
    First off, our brain has CB1 and CB2 receptors, which are proof that we are biologically engineered for marijuana.
    As for marijuana cancer rates, this study states that:
    ...cannabis typically down-regulates immunologically-generated free radical production by promoting a Th2 immune cytokine profile. Furthermore, THC inhibits the enzyme necessary to activate some of the carcinogens found in smoke. In contrast, tobacco smoke increases the likelihood of carcinogenesis by overcoming normal cellular checkpoint protective mechanisms through the activity of respiratory epithelial cell nicotine receptors
    Also:
    Lewis lung adenocarcinoma growth was [slowed] by the oral administration of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta9-THC), delta8-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta8-THC), and cannabinol (CBN), but not cannabidiol (CBD).

Finally, the marijuana + psychosis correlation is difficult to determine.
    This source shows multiple studies that try to link specific genetic predispositions that may cause psychosis when exposed to marijuana, but the same can go for alcohol too.

In summation, tobacco is hampered by nicotine and radiation. Marijuana is hampered by propoganda.

Don't smoke near me, and all is good. Again, I don't see what the big deal is.

Years
  • I think smoking will properly die out in the near future, with people being more health conscious and aware of the risks, the increased cost of cigarettes, the more restrictive smoking polices in place now and even the fact smoking is seen as less cool now.

One of the problem with smoking bans is you often move the smokers elsewhere rather than stopping them. For example here in the UK where smoking is banned in Pubs and bars the result is all the smokers congregating at the front door smoking, meaning you have to pass them to enter which is often a unpleasant experience. Also my other hatred is when smokers go outside and ask you to look after their drink and table even if you don't know them. (On the other side of the coin I think some pubs or bars should be able to apply to become smoking pubs/bars to cater for smoking clientele).

Basically I would like to see the streets of Cities, town and villages be places where smoking is banned.
    But I oppose the idea of banning smoking is cars (In my opinion a car is someones private space) and in the workplace where the smoker is alone, not bothering anyone else and there is no fire risk (e.g. a truck driver or builder etc).

Ive never smoked in my life nor do I understand why people start.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    The UK seems to be becoming less tolerant of smoking - which can only really be a good thing. Recently, legislation has been put forward to ban smoking in cars, to promote the safety of children at risk of second hand smoke. I believe that is due to go through later on this year, after being backed well by our MPs. So far I'm really happy with the measures being put in, but I feel like there is something missing in society to really discourage the act - it seems to be an easy habit for young people to fall into.

Whilst I appreciate banning it entirely is near impossible, we should be taking steps to minimise smoking - which in turn should improve the overall health of the country and help to reduce (or redirect) NHS costs. The same could, of course, be said for alcohol and obesity.

Support for anti-smoking legislation in the UK, 2008-2009 (mentioned in this ASH documentation) :
    Smoking-Related Behaviour and Attitudes Survey said:
    85 per cent agreed with restrictions on smoking at work.
    • 93 per cent in restaurants.
    • 91 per cent in indoor shopping centres.
    • 94 per cent in indoor sports and leisure centres.
    • 85 per cent in indoor areas at railway and bus stations.
    • 94 per cent in other public places such as banks and post offices.
    • 75 per cent in pubs.16

I will address cancer rates.
    First off, our brain has CB1 and CB2 receptors, which are proof that we are biologically engineered for marijuana.
    As for marijuana cancer rates, this study states that:

Also

Whilst I would argue the 'myriad of health benefits' I'm curious about this idea that Marijuana is less carcinogenic - I recall reading studies suggesting that in a 1-1 comparison of cigarettes that Marijuana was 3x more likely to cause cancer than Tobacco. Shall look for sources now.

Edit// Can't find the above statistic, was perhaps an inflated stat on a new website - really cannot recall, I'll keep looking.

Did find studies (like this one) suggesting a link between cannabis and lung cancer - however the main consensus is that lung cancer is confusing, people who smoke cannabis may also smoke tobacco, etc.etc. link

Last edited:

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • Whilst I would argue the 'myriad of health benefits' I'm curious about this idea that Marijuana is less carcinogenic - I recall reading studies suggesting that in a 1-1 comparison of cigarettes that Marijuana was 3x more likely to cause cancer than Tobacco. Shall look for sources now.

Those studies often look at the amount of carcinogens, which hold some validity, but they also fail to study real-world effects.
    Here's an an example:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2516340/
    This posits that:
    In the young adults we studied, the population attributable risk for cancer of the lung with cannabis smoking was estimated to be 5%. If any increased risk was maintained as these young people age, then a considerable burden from lung cancer due to cannabis smoking may occur in the future.
    But also,
    A major differential risk between cannabis and cigarette smoking was observed, with 1 joint of cannabis similar to about 20 cigarettes for risk of lung cancer. This is consistent with the observation that smoking 'a few' cannabis joints a day causes similar histological changes in the tracheobronchial epithelium as smoking 20-30 tobacco cigarettes a day
    This is where some confusion lies.

In the study I linked:
    While cannabis smoke has been implicated in respiratory dysfunction, including the conversion of respiratory cells to what appears to be a pre-cancerous state [5], it has not been causally linked with tobacco related cancers [6] such as lung, colon or rectal cancers.
    The numbers in paranthesis link to the studies (a lot of them). My point is that it's not about ratios of carcinogens. Requote:
    Lewis lung adenocarcinoma growth was [slowed] by the oral administration of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta9-THC), delta8-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta8-THC), and cannabinol (CBN), but not cannabidiol (CBD).
    Marijuana and tobacco share some qualities, but marijuana contains a lot of different chemicals, some of which counteract the carcinogenic effects.

Last edited:

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to smoking, I absolutely oppose it. For one thing I can not stand the smell of cigarettes. When I went to Vegas back in 2010, going through a casino was bothersome. Also for dating purposes, smoking is a major turn off for me. I would never date a smoker. I also agree that cigarettes are a waste of money.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    How do any of you feel about government agencies making it a requirement for packs of cigarettes to contain large, graphic images that portray the consequences of smoking?

Such as:
    Spoiler:

I mean, if I was still a smoker I'd definitely shy away from the packs with those images on them. It's easy to see when there is comparable difference, but would be as effective if they were the ONLY choice?

Years
  • How do any of you feel about government agencies making it a requirement for packs of cigarettes to contain large, graphic images that portray the consequences of smoking?

Such as:
    Spoiler:

I mean, if I was still a smoker I'd definitely shy away from the packs with those images on them. It's easy to see when there is comparable difference, but would be as effective if they were the ONLY choice?

The thing is people look at them and think it won't happen to me, Ive been smoking for x number of years and am fine etc.

They may have more successes against stopping new smokers, but amount kids the threat of peer pressure may be more a pull than the fear of health risks.

I do agree however with the idea.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • I think the major companies should become governmentally regulated in the form of looking over the shoulders of the manufacturers to make sure what they're putting in the cigarette is kosher. Don't put that tar in there, don't pack in those carcinogens, don't put 'extra' flavour in the form of a toxic fluid used to clean windows on a ship. . .

If anyone were to smoke I think they should either smoke a decent cigar or a brand of cigarette that uses only tobacco and paper. It's funny, only a few cigars put out an odor strong enough to turn my nose, but most cigarettes contain some sort of 'bad smell' that I just can't place.

Oh, and be considerate at least. Don't walk and smoke, sit at a spot and smoke because people behind you can get wind blasted by your brand, and they probably didn't tap you on the shoulder and say about your second hand smoke: "Please sir, can I have some more?"

Back