• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Snakes...Why are people afraid of them?

ThornPython4

Team Popplio
Years
  • Here is an interesting thread I thought would be good to post up.

So, my question is, why are people so afraid of snakes? Other than their potent venom of some species, not all. Or their seemingly slimy body?

Well, I'm going to tell all of you snake haters that they are not slimy, nor creepy, or cruel monsters. They can in many ways learn to trust humans and act nicely, if you give them a chance.

For example. If you saw a baby Garter Snake (not even 4 inches long) slither up to your feet and look up at you, wouldn't you pick it up? I would.

I understand its size is probably nothing for the time, but larger snakes are actually quite lazy and just want to be left alone.

Or how about this, a 2 week old Ball Python, not even a foot long, still trying to figure out the world. Curled up in a defensive ball. Wouldn't you want to try to hold the snake, and show it that this world is a great place?

So, snakes aren't something to fear, but to treasure. They get around without any feet or arms, which is a very incredible thing. They swallow food whole and can squeeze through just about any crack.

Here's a little snakey picture to make you see how beautiful they really are. (Baby Ball Python)
    Snakes...Why are people afraid of them?

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • First things first. Most people would relate the serpent family to the devil, since the serpent in the Bible is the representation of Satan itself(like the goat). Second, people may have experienced the fatal attacks snakes can do(like me bitten by a grass snake or almost squeezed the juice out of my arm by a boa), not knowing that it's only for defense(because the assailant is him/her, not the snake). And lastly, because of wrong misconceptions.

I do not hate snakes, but I always keep distance to poisonous ones I've recognized.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Phobia

pho·bi·a[foh-bee-uh]
    –noun
    a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.

That basically sums up my answer.

Lickitricky

Avast, ye scurvy dogs!
    Years
  • It's just the common belief and everything: it also has to do with phobias as Luck said~

It's true that I could pick up a baby snake, but I choose not to: I think that many aspects of a snake are what made it a common phobia, including the way it moves by slithering creepily (xD), the slimy-looking scaly skin, and the creepy way they can hiss as you.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Snakes are beautiful creatures. You've got to admit the way they move without legs is awesome.

People are scared of things they don't understand, and people only understands what they are taught. Not a lot of people try to understand snakes, so they make up their own negative assumptions, which other people will take at face value, and then spread rumors. A vicious cycle.

Then again, snakes are afraid of human beings and would not attack for no reason. We are bigger than most of them and they know it.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I'm scared to death of snakes. I think people are afraid of snakes because of hearing stories about snakes hurting or harming people and they exaggerate on that.
    To mention the fact that some snakes could possibly swallow you whole with you still being alive.

Alkaide

••» I hate my homework!
    Years
  • I too am scared of snakes. According to me we all are accustomed to that snakes are fatal.
    Infact, they are really different from others, that slim body with scales is somewhat ......uuuhhhh.

So, I think that people are afraid of snakes. xD

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • For the same reason we're scared of Spiders, they might bite us. If people weren't scared of snakes a lot more would be killed by them.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I was never afraid of snake. I've handled many, poisonous and non poisonous snakes throughout my life.

Some people don't like them because it invokes primal fear I guess.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I love snakes but I can definitely see why others don't. They aren't exactly the most cuddly creatures, and they naturally tend to invoke fear.

I'd love to have a pet snake one day but it'll have to wait until I've fully moved out of my parents' house because they definitely would not approve. :(

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I love snakes but I can definitely see why others don't. They aren't exactly the most cuddly creatures, and they naturally tend to invoke fear.

I'd love to have a pet snake one day but it'll have to wait until I've fully moved out of my parents' house because they definitely would not approve. :(

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I think reptiles in generally are super awesome. Mostly snakes, though.

I want a pet snake, but I don't like the idea of keeping live or dead rodents in the house just to feed it. :x Snakes are cool, though, and it's fun to hold them and let them just slither around you. :)

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • I've never been afraid of snakes... used to have one, actually (it ate fish; but now that I have an aquarium and really love my fish, I won't ever get another one, and mice are just too damn cute). And sure, a bite from some of them can be quite dangerous (even fatal), but it's not like its usually unavoidable - the rattlesnake gives you a fair warning before he attacks. As long as you leave it alone, he'll extend you the same courtesy.

Now spiders (and arachnids in general)... THOSE are scary little beasties.

AtomicoExploda

I don't know.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    I think snakes are pretty cool, but I'm still afraid of them, mainly because their body is all muscle, and they're fast, so they can easily kill you if they get around your neck because you can't get them off at all, and of course if they bite you and eat you.

David Bauer III

Where is Your God?
    Years
  • Mostly I think it's probably because they bite and they're slimy. I love them myself, though. If you handle them correctly they're nothing to worry about.

Paper Ghost

[torn to shreds]
    Years
  • Aside from being bit by one, it's probably just expected of me since I'm a rat-lover and my most recent rat was a feeder (I didn't know then). XD But besides that I like them fine.

EDIT: Whoops, I probably made that sound like I HAD been bit by a snake. I haven't, :x

Last edited:

Alyssachu

Trainer in training! ;D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 15, 2012
    Other than the potential danger they have, I don't know. I guess I could ask the same about bugs, hah! Except... bugs tend to be... a lot weirder looking. I myself am not afraid of snakes. I mean I wouldn't go up to a rattlesnake, or any snake and just pick it up! But I don't freak out over them. If anything, I try to get as close to them as I can! We had a HUGE snake in our backyard a few years ago. Well... it was "huge" to be in our backyard! It looked like a snake you'd find at the zoo. I have no idea what it was doing on our golf course! I went up to it and tried to get it with our rake while my mom was in the background, yelling and crying at me to get away from me. XD

HugSomebody

Trust me!~
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    I don't mind snakes. ^^ For the longest time, I wanted a snake (after my tortoise phase) but my parents always disapproved. The way they slither and eat things whole and wrap around things...it's fascinating.

Back