• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So apparently gay people don't exist according to this right-wing nut

Zet

Years
  • Linda Harvey, the founder of Mission America, says that LGBT people don't exist. She made the comments during her weekend broadcast while she was attacking the Gay, Lesbian, And Straight Education Network.

Harvey was particularly perturbed by the GLSEN Sports Program which works towards "creating and maintaining an athletic and physical education climate that is based on the core principles of respect, safety and equal access for all students, teachers and coaches regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression."

Harvey believes there is no need for such a program because according to her, there is no proof that LGBT people exist.

Harvey: "There's one big fact that's not backed up. There is no proof that there's ever anything like a gay, lesbian or bisexual or transgendered child, or teen or human. One of the other things you're gonna see as I mentioned is a big campaign GLSEN's gonna roll out this year calling for 'respect,' respect! Not just for people, but for homosexual lifestyle. The PR campaign to hold up gay as a good thing: the lifestyle, not the person, because there are no such humans."

Mission America's major area of focus is homosexuality from a conservative Christian viewpoint, particularly as it relates to American youth. It also opposes the influence of Pagan and feminist spirituality, and provides a range of apologetics for Christianity.

Linda Harvey is hateful and in denial. There are many LGBT people in the public eye who are living proof that gay people exist like Rachel Maddowz, Barney Frankz, and Ellen DeGeneresz, just to name a few. If you are part of the LGBT community, feel free to contact Harvey and her organization to let them know that you exist.

Mission America
    P.O. Box 21836
    Columbus, OH 43221-0836.
    [email protected]
    www.missionamerica.com
    source: https://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/...ivist-says-theres-no-proof-lgbt-people-exist/

Now I've seen a lot of stupid articles in the news lately, but this one takes the cake.

What is your opinion on this?

Also if you're gay, can I have your stuff since you don't exist? It will help me get over the loss of you

Years
  • How can you lose what does not exist? ;)

I'm not surprised they would say that. Every part of the political spectrum has lunatics that no one but the lunatics themselves take seriously.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • I really am trying to wrap my mind around this, but I think I am failing miserably. Maybe it's because I don't exist? Idk.

SolWolf

This user is over 9000!
    Years
  • Gay people totally exist. A couple lives right next door to me, in fact after reading this article, I tried putting my hand through one of them, it didn't go through, so they're real.

Just like Santa and the Easter bunny.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    yeah, gays don't exist
    we're in the same boat as jesus
    by boat, i mean ark
    something else that didn't exist either

Ellen DeGeneresz
    lol

Look, everyone has their views, but to completely deny that a group of people exist? How ignorant can you get?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I believe what she's saying is not so much that Gays don't exist, but that you can't, by human nature, be Gay, and have to adopt the lifestyle of your own free will. Iow, she's just saying that it's a choice.
    Really it's just a convoluted way to change the definition of being Gay to support her cause. (That's just what I got from this one article though, I haven't heard anything else about this.)

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • This calls for the re-use of my "oh no you didn't" gif:

I agree with QuilavaKing's point. It sounds like she's saying it's a choice, but the way she worded it does indeed call for lols. And really, if she's so ignorant that she thinks being gay is a choice, then she shouldn't be in any profession which involves her talking to other people. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there are opinions and then there are facts - and gay not being a choice is exactly that. A fact. It's not something she - or anyone - gets to have an opinion on.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • ...Gay people don't exist?

I have so many gifs relating to this matter.

...I know some people could not like homosexuality, but to dismiss it (and gay people) entirely is something else.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I have suspected this for years, and now I have solid proof. Homosexuality is just another conspiracy theory to overthrow the government and promote global terrorism. Linda Harvey, the voice of the people.

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
  • hnnh. that's funny; i thought i saw a gay guy just this morning?
    all jokes aside, i think i see what she's trying to say here: that gay people weren't "born that way."

Years
  • So if you're bi do you only half exist?

Another pandering, ham-fisted attempt to undermine honest attempts to create a safe and supportive environment for everyone just to appease the bigots.

Obviously people aren't really gay. It's clearly not enough for someone to say they are gay and act in accordance with their self-proclaimed stance of being gay. No, no. But I think we need to apply this idea further. Let's take everyone who is, let's say, a Christian. Now, they say they're Christians and they act like Christians, but I think we can all plainly see that they aren't really Christians. Those people with disabilities? Fakers. Did you say you were Asian? Where's the proof? No, I'm not going to take your word for it.

But don't listen to me. I don't exist, and we know what happens when you listen to imaginary people who don't actually exist.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • There are tons of misconceptions about homosexuality and gay people, and unfortunately, I believe it'll take a long time to educate everyone on it.
    Remember when people would should "He'll catch the gay!" or the fact that AIDS started with "gays"? (When in fact, with a little research, it is found that the most likely origin of HIV began with chimps infected with SIV which the disease then gradually mutated into HIV when butchers were in contact with the blood.) AND the fact that 90% of cases where people contract HIV in a 1st world country is actually through blood transfusion (and another 8% is from a mother passing it onto her child during labour.)

It's ridiculous.. and I wish that people would actually look into the information regarding all of this- and realize, (as a christian especially) that no one should be denied rights or even acknowledgement.

It's a shame, as someone with her "status" should have undoubtably known better. This is just ignorance on her behalf. Regardless of whether people are born gay or "decide" to become gay, they should have no lesser rights than a heterosexual.

BareBones

The kids are all messed up.
    Years
  • Oh... well. Damn. I guess I don't exist. This is news to me, and quite upsetting. All this time I believed I was real...

On a more serious note, this is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. You can dislike gay people, that's okay, that's your opinion. You don't need to protest against them or deny them rights. You can dislike them the same way as most people dislike someone - quietly. You especially have no need to deny their very existence.

I get that she is simply saying that it is a choice and not something that naturally occurs - even though there is evidence (something about animals taking part in homosexual intercourse, but I cannot find the article about it) that says otherwise. But there are better ways to word it.

The way to get equality is not making the human race all your ideal image of a person.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    She's 100% correct. I'm not actually posting this. You're all just going mad.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    You're misunderstanding her. She's trying to say that we shouldn't have to pay respect to LGBT children because it singles them out for special treatment on the basis of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity. Being treated equally means receiving the same amount of respect that everyone else receives, not more respect. That's unequal treatment.

I also fail to see what in that article identifies her as right-wing. Nothing tells us her political preference.

Years
  • You're misunderstanding her. She's trying to say that we shouldn't have to pay respect to LGBT children because it singles them out for special treatment on the basis of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
    If that's what she meant to say then she should have said that instead of the nonsense she did say.

Not that I think the idea you propose is much better, but at least it's more straightforward direct. It ain't about special treatment. It's about correcting for negative treatment like how bullied kids need their schools to pay attention and address the bullying. And so on.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Hmmmmm?

Well if, as they say, "Ignorance is bliss" then we should probably try not to burst this poor hater's bubble. By simply feigning ignorance, she's probably confirmed to her peers what they may have already suspected...she's not that smart because she's obviously trying to get rid of a problem by simply ignoring it.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    If that's what she meant to say then she should have said that instead of the nonsense she did say.

Not that I think the idea you propose is much better, but at least it's more straightforward direct. It ain't about special treatment. It's about correcting for negative treatment like how bullied kids need their schools to pay attention and address the bullying. And so on.

The solution for that is enacting strict rules against intentional bullying. Singling LGBT children out only sends the message that they are weak, fragile, sensitive, etc. and should be handled with care. It makes them look inferior to heterosexuals.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Well I agree that separating LGQBT children from the rest of the class is a bad idea, that just marks them to the rest of the students and would bring on more bullying whenever a normal child encounters one of these children.

But that doesn't excuse the ignorant statement she made...so personally I think, take whatever you can from her statement but with a grain of salt and move on. There are certainly individuals out there who can do a better job of pulling off what she means.

Back