• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen So are you getting the Strategy Guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerri Shin

  
Years
  • Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like to read things out of books, especially when I'm concentrating on something. Yes, I ordered the Guide along with Soul Silver. I plan to add it to my growing collection of guides that range all the way back to the original Red version Walkthrough/ Pokédex.

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2012
    Nope, I'm certain that I will not get it! I figured I'll try to figure out most of the secrets by myself!

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Gamestop opens at 8, their opening early for this, good luck being first XD

Yukima

Mad Scientist
    Years
  • Even though I've played through GSC so many times and memorized everything about it and could probably do half of it in my sleep, I'll be getting the strategy guide. All of the art in the guide will be the closest thing I'll ever get to having an artbook of the games... :'( The same went for the guides of the older games, especially for RBY/GSC.

Midnight Jog

Poké-Baller!
    Years
  • I want it, but the Johto/Knanto + National Dex Strategy Guide comes out next month, for the same price, I believe...

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Are you serious? A game guide? It's Pokémon! You really don't need a guide for Pokémon, do you? Today's youth.... :\
    There's a lot of information/events in the game that are hard to keep track of because of how much there is. Events that take place on certain days at certain times, what solution is necessary for the puzzle (like the braille for R/S/E, where a guide came in handy for those who don't know braille), or even what moves a Pokemon can learn and when. I bought that giant Pokedex book that had all 491 Pokemon in it so I could know when and how what Pokemon learned what attack and what it did.

Which is why I'm going to be getting the strategy guide. Probably not the current one (if it does only go up to Johto), but the one that's released at a later date. I won't use it all the time, but only when I'm completely stuck.

I would use the Internet, but I'm not one to be playing my DS while sitting in front of a computer. Just never was something I could do. Besides, the book I can take with me if I go outside or have sitting on my lap if I'm away from the computer.

And, well, the pretty pretty pictures. Give me maps of the regions, please.

What's with my srs business posts to threads like this?

Years
  • I know the internet has its wonders, but having a guide with all that good information at your fingertips might be too much to pass up for me ;)

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    plus, if you have DSI whats the point of a guide when you can just go online and check

Beckie

Thunder!
    Years
  • It's not like I really need a strategy guide, but I'll probably get it anyways since I love them. *__*

Panique

BUGSY IS GAY FOR METAPOD
    Years
  • I wasn't planning to get it, but I ended up trading games in to pay off my preorder and got a whole lot more credit than I was expecting. My manager persuaded me into getting the books. The strategy guide is tiding me over until I get the Pokedex and/or game.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    My initial playthrough will be guide-less. When I give my brother his game (and restart mine), I'll get it for him. It's a good alternative for having to open up Bulbapedia everytime you want to check where to get something or to see something's movepool.

Years
  • Hm... I've got two questions before I make my decision:

1) Does it cost more than $15.00? Because that's all I'm going to have left over after I buy Soul Silver.

2) Is it worth the effort? Or is it just a bunch of pictures and moveset suggestions, or some other such nonsense?

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Hm... I've got two questions before I make my decision:

1) Does it cost more than $15.00? Because that's all I'm going to have left over after I buy Soul Silver.

2) Is it worth the effort? Or is it just a bunch of pictures and moveset suggestions, or some other such nonsense?

From what I understand (based off of the Plat strategy guide), it gives you a general guide through the game, with the complete moveset of every Pokémon, generalized base stats (from 1 to 5 dots), availability, Gym Leader/Rocket Admin/Champion Pokémon/movesets, and for advanced trainers (i.e. anyone interested in competitive battling), some tips on abusing hold items and added effects (they list Serene Grace Togekiss with Tri Attack as a prime contender for this).

Panique

BUGSY IS GAY FOR METAPOD
    Years
  • Hm... I've got two questions before I make my decision:

1) I'm not 100% sure on the US prices, but I did find this on Gamestop's website if you're buying from there.

Pokemon HeartGold & Soul Silver Official Strategy Guide.

Gamestop/EB tend to have the higher prices ranges though, so I guess it's possible that you'll be able to find it slightly cheaper at another store. Handbooks generally only have the set price though, as far as I've seen.

2) I've read up to the Johto walkthrough in my handbook (and a few pages of that) and so far it seems to be pretty interesting. The Kanto walkthrough isn't included, though, which is a bit of a downside (supposedly it's included in the Pokedex, although I can't confirm that).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I beat the Japanese SoulSilver without a guide, so why would I need one for English? Besides, with internet guides up nowdays, strategy guides are near obsolete. Not saying they're not handy though. I still buy a few, only if I need a map of a side area. But hey, you can even find those via internet. Meh.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back