• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So I wanted to start a new pokemon site...

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2016
    So I was gonna start work on a new pokemon fan website similar to serebii, and I was wondering if anyone else wanted to work on it. I'm kind of new to website making, and I'm not really sure how to have multiple people be able to working on it. I was planning on using yola.

Radix

it's always time to drink.
    Years
  • Yola is definitely not the platform you'd use for a data-oriented site like Serebii.

For your project, you'd probably want to write your own server (not too hard) and set up a database or other persistent data format to store your Pokemon data (pretty easy, especially because your data will be mostly static).

For multiple-contributor projects, it's best to use Github.

You'll have to make decisions like, "do I want to have the user click through links and load a new page every time (server-rendered site), or have a responsive interface in which most of the code I write is run in the browser (client-heavy app) instead?" and "am I going to store the data in a database or should I use my own file structure and formats?"

I can give more specific advice if you describe your project in more detail.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • I second github, it's great for having multiple editors, but their hosting service (pages) isn't the best, and can't do databases.

Radix

it's always time to drink.
    Years
  • but their hosting service (pages) isn't the best, and can't do databases.

Github for hosting the code, not the actual site. Pages is just a feature that's usually used for library guides or personal profiles. Of course, you'd have to rent a server [1] [2] [3] or use something like Heroku if you want to host the site in production.

Back