• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So, I'm curious

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
    i've been fire all the way up until dpt, coz infernape kinda failed... and torterra is pretty mad. though i do pick some grass starters in my second play through.

Years
    I alternate, but probably have a tendency towards fire. I think I chose Charmander in Blue and Chimchar in Diamond for my first playthroughs. But then I went back and did Bulbasaur and Pikachu (Yellow version), and if I play through Diamond again, I'm doing Piplup.

Recently though, I've been doing alternate starters, traded over from another game. I played through SoulSilver with a Magby/Elekid duo.

As for the astrological signs, I don't think they have any influence over anything. At all. The stars that make up the constellations aren't even close to one another; we just see them that way. I've never understood why people give them credence.

Years
    I just always picked the one I liked most originally, but over multiple playthroughs ended up using them all, though on my first each time; Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil , Torchic and Piplip respectively so no real pattern whatsoever.

リュザキ

Pokemon Detective
    Years
    Red - Charmander
    Blue - Squirtle
    Yellow - No choice...Pikachu
    Silver (2 copies) - Cyndaquill for both
    Ruby - Torchic
    Emerald - Mudkip
    Fire Red - Charmander
    Diamond - Piplup (didn't like the way chimchar looked)
    Platinum - Piplup
    Soul Silver - Cyndaquill

I like fire and if I don't pick fire it will be water.

xPsychosocial

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
    Years
    I usually go with my favourite looking ones. In Blue I chose Squirtle (the same in FR), in Jhoto I chose Cyndaquil, in RSE I chose Treeko and in Pearl I chose Chimchar. If I do replay the game I sometimes chose differently.

StyxFTW

Be reckless
    Years
    I pick the one I who has a cooler look

Red and Blue: Charmander
    Crystal: Totodile
    Ruby: Treeko
    Sapphire: Mudkip
    Emerald: Torchic
    Leaf Green: Squirtle
    Diamond: Chimchar
    Pearl:Turtwig
    Platinum: Turtwig
    Heart Gold: Totodile

I never really noticed till now that I pick water types a lot lol. But I only base it on the looks. I used to start a game over and over and try out each of the starters.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    I've restarted my games many times, here's the ones I choose this time

Kanto: fire red: Charmander, I also got a bulbasaur ( chose it last time traded it a bit back and forwardXD) , all the other times before that, I chose Squirtle.

johto: Totodile on hg and typlosion on Gold. Since gen.III , I've always picked totodile. even on emerald.

Hoenn: I basiccally never picked torchic, just because the rest of the world already had one. One of the toughest coises to make, I currently go with marshtomp on ruby and Sceptile on Emerald.

Sinnoh: imo the worst starters yet, decided to train chimchar in platinum, but I've ditched them really early in pearl.

I think Totodile alongside with squirtle, mudkip, bulbasaur and treecko are the greatest starters. The fire types are pretty good too, but they are a bit overused here, that'swhy I usually tend to chose the other types.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 9, 2013
    I never use grass type pokemon since i really hate grass types for the most part. My start would be mostly fire type but if the pokemon looks like crap then i go with water

Johtomasterandlover

I´m the best of Johto
    Years
    I Always have the pokemon for the desing in the start so this is how i Always do it:
    1° Gen: Charmander
    2° Gen: Closed with the three of them ( yeah see the username?and so if i´m addicted to 2°? )
    3° Gen: Treeko, coz Sceptile is just awsome! ( once with torchick and saw how junky it was, so started over right at the beggining )
    4° Gen: All three are cool in my oppinion, but i´d prefer Turtwig or Empoleon

cystar

Favorite Pokemon is Politoed
    Years
    Kanto- Picked charmander every time except once i picked bulbasour nvr squirtle
    Johto-Chicorita or cyndaqull nvr todadile
    Hoenn- Trecko 5 times Torchick twice mudkip never
    Sinnoh- PLayed through 3 times but 1 time i didnt use my starter i just deposited it
    So iv used chimchar once and turtwig i really loved turtwig

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    Well after r/b/y I just go for the one that looks the least ridiculous.

P.S. I totally and irrevocably exempt MUDKIP from that generalisation because he is the CUTEST pokemon IN TEH WURLDZ EVAA!!!!1!!1!!

*Ahem* Pardon me I appear to have lost control for a moment there...Mudkip has this effect on me you know!

Anyway, what I should have said, which is now abundantly clear, is that I always go for the cutest pokemon!!

Charmander
    Cyndaquil
    Mudkip
    Turtwig

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    curse you trecko!!! the one grass type that i love the look of just doesnt have the power of swampert or blaziken (in my eyes)

lets see, charmander, cyndaquill, mudkip, turtwig... i think im not type based, but i seem to go for the coolish ones, and those with earthquake capabilities i love too :D

ThisPowerIsAtomic

[Insert Catchy Title Here]
    Years
    I'll admit it, I'm shallow, I usually pick whatever I think has the coolest final evolved form.

Kanto - Squirtle
    Johto - Totodile
    Hoenn - Torchic
    Sinnoh - Turtwig/Chimchar (Torterra's cool, but I usually pick Chimchar because all my friends always pick Turtwig and Piplup bugs me-but Empoleon is cool-)

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Originally Posted by Bluerang1
    I never pick Fire Starter, I have issues with them, like I don't like them...
    Crystal - Chikorita, only one I could stand the look of.
    Sapphire - the Grass one, looked cool.
    Emerald - Mudkip <3 and Mudkip ever since.
    Diamond - Piplup was cute :3
    Platinum - I had all of them, oddly enough, non grew quickly, like they do from trades... they weren't hacked, I remember trading... hmmm... and I was able to them... I'm thinking deeply now... it'd be easier if I oculd find the game, to see what happened... aargh!!! What's the answer... Unless, I traded from my DS to my freind's, then traded back. Does that make sense? Is the trainer ID always the same on eachgame card, like even if you restart, you have the same number? Please help... :)
    Every time you restart, your ID should be different. (Even if you somehow go against the odds and the trainer ID is the same, there's a hidden ID it uses as well, and the chances of both of them being the same are near impossible).

Are you sure you didn't trade eggs over and hatch them? o.o

Totally forgot about this question, but thanks for the reply. I think I may have got Eggs, but I levelled them all at the same time as if they were together. I do remember trading. Hmmm. I need to find the game really.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
    Well I used to always pick Fire. The reason for this is that Fire types are generally harder to find in the wild and appear later in the game. I now have a favourite from each generation that I usually pick, though I try to have a go with each starter at least once.

Gen I:
    Charmander
    Gen II:
    Cyndiquil
    Gen III:
    Treecko
    Gen IV:
    Turtwig

I don't usually go with Water as there are usually plenty of Water pokemon much cooler than the starter.

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
    I guess it depends on what generation it is, I always tend to go for the fire-type and the water-type starter, which is weird because I have never started a game with a grass-type. I guess it all depends on the Pokemon.

Back