• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So, let's talk Linux!

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
Years
  • Anybody knows what happened with SLiM? I've only heard it was discontinued and while the project's still on SourceForge, the main page seems to be off at the moment. I've used it for about two years, but it seems there where no updates for quite some time.

Well, for now I've switched to LXDM and I'm thinking about changing from XFCE to Openbox at some point in the future. If there is anything I really like about Linux, it is having a lightweight OS available all the time. ^^

Their Arch wiki page says:
    Arch wiki said:
    Warning: The SliM project has been abandoned (the project homepage is down, leaving a download mirror), and is not fully compatible to systemd, including logind sessions.

If they don't even support systemd, the project may have been abandoned anyway; systemd's basically a requirement now x_x

LXDM is a great choice, especially if you like lightweight

I use KDM, just because of KDE integration. I tried Lightdm-kde, but wow if you not on an Ubuntu spin, it does not work properly

Years
  • I started dual booting recently and picked up Linux Mint. It's fun, but I'm still a nooblet and need to lrn2CMD. But I love using it, even if all I do is play rougelike games and sit in the IRC all day and try to learn how to use the damned OS.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Does anybody know of any lightweight (weighing around 20 MB or so) application that would allow you to install websites into your computer itself?

I've tried LIMP, but it requires me to upgrade my system version, which I can't do right now due to my Internet being slow and limited. Have also attempted to get a hold of XAMPP, but couldn't due to my net (it stops downloads randomly, and the software itself is pretty large, sadly).

Years
  • Does anybody know of any lightweight (weighing around 20 MB or so) application that would allow you to install websites into your computer itself?

I've tried LIMP, but it requires me to upgrade my system version, which I can't do right now due to my Internet being slow and limited. Have also attempted to get a hold of XAMPP, but couldn't due to my net (it stops downloads randomly, and the software itself is pretty large, sadly).

Hmm, I don't know of any other apps that would be better than the two you posted...I'm still green.

I could try DLing XAMPP and compressing it to all hell and put it in a dropbox for you but otherwise I don't think I've got much to offer, sorry. :(

I'll ask around the IRC and see what I dig up for you.

Years
  • I'd installed Linux Mint (Cinnamon) on my laptop. But my sister doesn't like it so I had to revert back to Windows. I still have the Live USB so I can boot into Linux anytime.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • GUYS
    Netflix works natively on Linux distros, through Google Chrome...
    This is progress!
    I've been using Pipelight. Widevine doesn't currently work with Chromium on Arch, so I'll stick to Firefox + Pipelight

Winston-Harlem

Rich boy
    Years
  • the kernel is wonderful. the distribution bases, though, are where I fork. Semantically, Red Hat and Debian are my respective favorite and least favorite, with Arch in limbo and other bases unexplored. I work with CentOS a lot and it was where I first encountered the Linux kernel (over SSH). su over sudo, yum and wget over gigabit fibre, no GUI... I prefer that really. it's so elegant, efficient and downright minimalist, aah!

Consumer Linux distributions (generally Debian derivatives) are something of a work of art as well though, and for me completely reduce Windows down to Sony Vegas and Adobe CS from an efficiency standpoint. Wine is out of my sphere of considerations...

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I use Kubuntu almost exclusively both at home and at work.

I've toyed with the idea of switching to Linux for a two or three years when I was a student. I had two OSs on my laptop, but primarily used Windows for pretty much everything, even though most software I used was open source, so I had no real reason to stick with Windows, but I still did out of habit. Until the night when I was working on a project very late at night, and the taskbar froze. I didn't really notice, and I only glanced at it once in a while to see what time it was. I guess staying up until 5:30 while thinking it was 2:30 because of the frozen clock is a very stupid reason to abandon an OS, but it did motivate me to try out Linux :) . After completing two projects without booting into Windows even once, I got used to Linux, and just kept using it.

I tried Mandriva, Fedora and Debian, and ended up using Ubuntu thanks to a classmate's advice (also because Mandriva went out of business, Debian doesn't have the most recent stuff on its repositories, and I did not like Fedora's package manager) . I then switched to Kubuntu because I like KDE a lot.

I only have Windows as a second OS on one laptop, and I only use it for Game Maker Studio, and the few games I play on my PC (I'm more of a console guy) .

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2015
    I am a Linux user for about 5 years now. Mainly using Ubuntu and Linux Mint Cinnamon. The first thing that got my attention was the ability to see inside how the system works, something which was always a brick wall in Windows. Soon, I tried to ditch the latter whenever I had the opportunity and eventually I don't need it anymore. That doesn't mean sometimes I don't need to give advice/help for Windows user people around me, even though I haven't used it for years now. :)
    I hope that with the gaming side of the OS getting stronger lately, good progress will be made getting it more widespread and developers will turn more of their attention to it.

Back