• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen So...Shiny rates increased?

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
  • (I spent a good 30 minutes checking to make sure there is no similar post to this one, and I didn't see one so here goes!)

Today, on several different sites, it was announced that the shiny encounter rate went from 1 in 8000-something to 1 in 4000-something. This is great and all, considering I have only ever found one shiny Nincada in Emerald and I would like to get a few more, but in all honesty I hate this news. On top of all the old and new ways to get shiny Pokemon (Chain fishing, Masuda Method, ect.), I feel like shiny Pokemon are losing their novelty a little. I mean, in earlier Gens, when the only way to get shinies was normal encounters and the Masuda method, you'd find a shiny and be all "OMGOMGOMG I GOT ONE!!!!". I feel like sooner or later it's going to become "Oh look! A shiny. Great. Boxed!".

Well, of course I'm exaggerating a little bit, but this is my honest opinion. It's great that they are giving us many methods and increasing the odds for them, but I just want them to stop and leave shiny Pokemon rare and untouched. (Of course they are STILL rare, but you know what I mean!) Just a quick thread, but I just felt like sharing my opinion. :) Thanks!

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Quoting Twilight Blade:

Basically, the base shiny rate is now doubled, or 1/4096. This is the rate that applies to random encounters and hatching normal eggs. This means that Masuda Method now has a roughly 1/683 chance of yielding a shiny.

I too am on the fence about this. I love getting shinies, whether it be through encounter or hatching, but they shouldn't be this common. I guess I have no qualms about halving the rate, but the chain fishing imo is just ridiculous.

ShadoMaster

Pokémon Actor
    Years
  • Well, with all the new Pokemon that are being released I am okay with this. It gives a chance for casual Pokemon players to find a different colored Pokemon. Also for the Pokemon that are already rare themselves, it makes their shiny form even rarer. Like how I found a shiny Druddigon while training in victory road. I was sure surprised.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    The thing is, shinies were so rare before that their existence was almost obscure; I know a lot of people who had never seen a shiny in their lives and didn't even know what they were until they saw people talk about it on the internet.

The increased rate is to bring more attention to it I think, and even if it may be easier now to obtain a shiny, it still is by no means easy or common. IMO the value is just right.

Chain fishing is admittedly silly but the range of Pokemon you can get is not big enough to make it totally ridiculous.

Years
  • Where did you read the news that the shiny rate has increased? I can't find anything...

However, while I also think that shinies should be rare, 1/4096 is still rare enough for my taste. The chance of meeting a shiny may have been halved, but this doesn't mean you'll encounter a shiny everyday. (Unless you're very lucky.)

I have only ever encountered one shiny (a Shiny Tentacool in Sapphire), so I think it'd be cool to catch some more. I just hope they're not gonna increase the likelihood even further....

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • I'm really bothered by this. What makes shiny Pokemon special is their rarity! Increasing the odds by any means takes away what makes them special, so having a permanent change in the original odds is a forced change, not a method! Maybe I'm one of the few that are really irked by this, but I don't treasure a shiny that hasn't been found by chance in the 1 in 8000-something odds. Those ridiculous odds are what made them valuable.

Years
  • I am playing the games since 2003 and this was the first time I have ever found a wild shiny Pokemon. I know it's easier to get shinies now, but as stated above, it's not guaranteed that you will be able to find wild shinies everyday. 1/4096 is still too rare for me.

I think they are not going to change the rates in the next generation. I have a feeling that those rates are going to be permanent. :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2013
    I haven't found shiny's too.

But the rates were awfull past gen

I only found a s staravia in gen 4 that whirlwinded me.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I personally am in support of this. Casual players who don't know about/don't take it too seriously might easily never even come across a shiny- I know I haven't- and otherwise would be lucky to find one on the way in the game (which would still, for the casual player, be an amazingly exciting experience), while people who desperately want a shiny pokemon have methods to make this much easier and possible to achieve without spending ridiculous amounts of time.

While they may seem less special to us now, for all the little kids through the game that happen to find one, I'm pretty sure it will still be the most amazing thing ever. There'll just be more kids who get to experience it. :p

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2014
    I found clawitzer by fishing over and over for about twenty mknutes which was on a Sunday. The next Sunday I found machoke in a safari and twenty minutes I found noibat. Days after I found spinda while sweet scenting for a swablu. Next up was a random tyrogue in a safari. About a week later I sweet scented for either a axew/whismur/zubat and happen to find a shiny whismur(roughly 6 hours between 5 day). Yesterday was a doozie. Found smeargle yesterday around 10 am. Same day around 7 pm I found an audino by mistake while leveling off them in the safari. And then went to the restaurant for double battles to sketch attacks. I tipped one grand twice. Went to hunt in a safari and found a shiny pupitar. So glad I screenie on IG it is a great time like but I forgot to post my spinda pic on it :c. So 9 shinies.

Shinies are still a pain in the butt to find and I love the new rates and being a treasure hunter. The ratios are fine, and if each shiny had perfect nature and Iv's then I would jump on the bandwagon with the naysayers to make the ratios increased.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I didn't know the statistics, but I have noticed that the shiny rate had seemed to increase. Just through my normal playthrough I ran through a shiny zubat and a shiny nincda (I believe) when I was forced to battle a herd. I'm glad about this because I love to find shinies as well. :3

Thief

The Dark One
    Years
  • The increased Shiny encounters have really devalued them; on another forum I'm on, there are several people who have countless Shinies already from the game. One girl has between 70-80 already, INCLUDING most fossils. A guy on the same forum chained me a Shiny Scatterbug yesterday just to be nice, and he got one in no time flat.

I've found 2 in the Safari (Gyarados and Frogadier) without even looking for them, and even got a Shiny Emolga from Wonder Trade. Chain Fishing Shinies are completely worthless... It's a shame. The only legit Shiny I ever got myself before this gen was a Shiny Poochyena (now Mightyena) outside Fortree in Emerald, about 7 or 8 years ago. He's still my most treasured Pokémon but now it's just frustrating that everyone-else will probably have one (as well as most other Pokémon in Shiny form). Makes them less special and makes me less motivated to even bother getting any, personally.

On the other hand, I guess it's great for those of you who have never even found one before and don't want to/can't put extra effort in to get Shinies.

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
    Years
  • I mean, in earlier Gens, when the only way to get shinies was normal encounters and the Masuda method
    There was no Masuda Method prior to gen 4, the only way to encounter Shinys were the wild or breeding. There was only one way to increase chances before gen 4. I don't know if I can consider Shinys to be rare anymore considering there's Shiny Charm, Masuda method etc however I don't think they lowered the chances of finding them, if they did Shinys wouldn't even be fun to have anymore.

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
    Years
  • (Love replying to my own threads for some odd reason... xD )

Fieryy said:
    I found clawitzer by fishing over and over for about twenty mknutes which was on a Sunday. The next Sunday I found machoke in a safari and twenty minutes I found noibat. Days after I found spinda while sweet scenting for a swablu. Next up was a random tyrogue in a safari. About a week later I sweet scented for either a axew/whismur/zubat and happen to find a shiny whismur(roughly 6 hours between 5 day). Yesterday was a doozie. Found smeargle yesterday around 10 am. Same day around 7 pm I found an audino by mistake while leveling off them in the safari. And then went to the restaurant for double battles to sketch attacks. I tipped one grand twice. Went to hunt in a safari and found a shiny pupitar. So glad I screenie on IG it is a great time like but I forgot to post my spinda pic on it :c. So 9 shinies.

Wow... You are quite lucky. Even though I dislike the new odds, I still would like to get a shiny and I expect them to be a lot more common (As you can see above!). But, I STILL have not found one, and I have been playing my X since the morning the game was released! Although I have just started chain fishing, so I'm hoping I get one soon...

Years
  • Better rates at getting shinys don't really bother me that much. I never thought they should be that rare to begin with. Although really, if you're on any social networks anymore.. It's not like they were really all that rare anyways right?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Guys, ever since pokegen, pakesave and of course RNG abuse became a thing shinys stopped being such a rarity. (and yes the 3ds is safe for now, but it won't be forever.)

Of course, Shinies have no value to me based on their rarity, I go by which ones look coolest to me. It may be a simple reason, but there it is. Whether or not a good number of people have shinies or not means nothing to me.

However, I can see why some people are attracted to rarity, to that end I propose that we keep the increased shiny rate, but introduce more shiny pallets to each pokemon. Instead of having just one shiny version there could be many. (colors, etc.) So while the rate of encounter is reduced you still wont know WHICH shiny you will get.

Years
  • Guys, ever since pokegen, pakesave and of course RNG abuse became a thing shinys stopped being such a rarity. (and yes the 3ds is safe for now, but it won't be forever.)

Of course, Shinies have no value to me based on their rarity, I go by which ones look coolest to me. It may be a simple reason, but there it is. Whether or not a good number of people have shinies or not means nothing to me.

However, I can see why some people are attracted to rarity, to that end I propose that we keep the increased shiny rate, but introduce more shiny pallets to each pokemon. Instead of having just one shiny version there could be many. (colors, etc.) So while the rate of encounter is reduced you still wont know WHICH shiny you will get.

I'm always done for more variety. More colors would be fantastic

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Guys, ever since pokegen, pakesave and of course RNG abuse became a thing shinys stopped being such a rarity. (and yes the 3ds is safe for now, but it won't be forever.)

Apparently there is a way to determine if a Pokemon has been generated illegally or not in these games, so I don't think that's a concern. The sense of accomplishment is in obtaining a shiny legitimately in the actual game, it still is extremely rare.

Last edited:
    Back