• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen So...Shiny rates increased?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Apparently there is a way to determine if a Pokemon has been generated illegally or not in these games, so I don't think that's a concern. The sense of accomplishment is in obtaining a shiny legitimately because it in the actual game, it still is extremely rare.

I wouldn't put too much faith into that to be honest. The hackers always find a way and most of their hacks using pokegen and pokesave send the data directly to the game using wifi so as far as the game will know it was generated by the game itself.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but is there not a garchomp that a player managed to hack/modify in X and Y and it had the blue pentagon? There was a video posted about it or so I heard, I dunno how true it is, but if it IS true that goes to show how reliable that anti hack method is.

And this is Nintendo/Gamefreak we're talking about here, their security in the past has been laughable to say the least and while I hope to be wrong, I don't have high hopes.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Apparently there is a way to determine if a Pokemon has been generated illegally or not in these games, so I don't think that's a concern. The sense of accomplishment is in obtaining a shiny legitimately because it in the actual game, it still is extremely rare.
    RNG is undetectable is it not?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    RNG is undetectable is it not?

Well RNG isn't technically hacking, it falls into that gray area. It's exploiting game mechanics and tricking the game into giving you what you want from what I understand.

I personally don't like it nor consider it legit as it goes aginst what the devs intended, but there are those who disagree.

UseTheRNGLuke

The RNG is strong in this one.
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2014
    I don't like this one bit. People who shiny hunted in previous games will be angry, chain fishing requires no skill and not much perseverance, yet yeilds many shinies and I just feel shinies are getting too common. Shinies should be for the hardcore Pokemon fans willing to do anything, even find out how the RNG works or hunt for hours on end. Now they're for mostly everyone. On Gamefreak's part, this seems like a complete betrayal of their hardcore fans who hunted day and night to find a shiny.

JDJ

Vulpix Breeder, Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • NH
    • Seen Nov 19, 2015
    Remember though, getting a shiny is all up to chance. You dont have to do 8100+ encounters in ruby to "earn" your shiny. You could do only 7. Its all random. And if game freak wants to put double the smiles on faces these days, I say go for it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    I don't like this one bit. People who shiny hunted in previous games will be angry, chain fishing requires no skill and not much perseverance, yet yeilds many shinies and I just feel shinies are getting too common. Shinies should be for the hardcore Pokemon fans willing to do anything, even find out how the RNG works or hunt for hours on end. Now they're for mostly everyone. On Gamefreak's part, this seems like a complete betrayal of their hardcore fans who hunted day and night to find a shiny.

So you now have a 1/4000 chance of finding one instead of 1/8000, big freakin' deal? It still makes shinies rare, without them being absolutely ridiculous as in previous games.

Also why do you really need that much perseverance just to get on par with a majority of players? At least for the competitive scene, the main reason why people hunt for shinies is to get perfect IV Pokemon, and using those that don't have even good IVs will mean you will lose. Not everyone has hours to spend just to find a Pokemon that can be used for competition. Heck, the fact that you need to do this AND learn the mechanics to get on par with those Wifi freaks is an arse load of work that really does NOT need to be as cryptic as it is. I'm proud Game Freak is actually addressing this a little with this game.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2014
    I think of chain fishing as the same as regular fishing. Any fisherman will tell you 1/50 of the fish they catch have some oddity about their appearance. I think it was simply a homage to that. However, Chain fishing doesnt really give you any desirable Pokemon, beside maybe a shiny Politoed or Dragalge. I dont think anyone should be up in arms about it.

As for reular catches, I've literally seen one shiny pokemon in my entire career with pokemon (a shiny jigglypuff in ruby) and that game was stolen from me by an arse a long time ago. The increased opportunity is what I'd consider welcome. I feel like people upset are placing too much stock into it. Being shiny doesnt do anything beyond aesthetics.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    I like that the rate's increased. Hopefully, I'll finally be able to get my shiny Zorua in X!

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • (I spent a good 30 minutes checking to make sure there is no similar post to this one, and I didn't see one so here goes!)

Today, on several different sites, it was announced that the shiny encounter rate went from 1 in 8000-something to 1 in 4000-something. This is great and all, considering I have only ever found one shiny Nincada in Emerald and I would like to get a few more, but in all honesty I hate this news. On top of all the old and new ways to get shiny Pokemon (Chain fishing, Masuda Method, ect.), I feel like shiny Pokemon are losing their novelty a little. I mean, in earlier Gens, when the only way to get shinies was normal encounters and the Masuda method, you'd find a shiny and be all "OMGOMGOMG I GOT ONE!!!!". I feel like sooner or later it's going to become "Oh look! A shiny. Great. Boxed!".

Well, of course I'm exaggerating a little bit, but this is my honest opinion. It's great that they are giving us many methods and increasing the odds for them, but I just want them to stop and leave shiny Pokemon rare and untouched. (Of course they are STILL rare, but you know what I mean!) Just a quick thread, but I just felt like sharing my opinion. :) Thanks!

There was no Masuda Method prior to gen 4, the only way to encounter Shinys were the wild or breeding. There was only one way to increase chances before gen 4. I don't know if I can consider Shinys to be rare anymore considering there's Shiny Charm, Masuda method etc however I don't think they lowered the chances of finding them, if they did Shinys wouldn't even be fun to have anymore.

LOL; they just halved the rate from 1/8192 to 1/4096? (regardless, the fraction 1/8192, which I first learned about during Generation 3, will likely be forever etched in my memory simply because of Shiny Pokemon, the same with 65536 and the Pokerus :P). I'm still wondering how the 3DS rate for Shiny Pokemon got precisely calculated..? In that case, shouldn't the Pokerus rate be able to be precisely calculated as well?

Guys, ever since pokegen, pakesave and of course RNG abuse became a thing shinys stopped being such a rarity. (and yes the 3ds is safe for now, but it won't be forever.)

Of course, Shinies have no value to me based on their rarity, I go by which ones look coolest to me. It may be a simple reason, but there it is. Whether or not a good number of people have shinies or not means nothing to me.

However, I can see why some people are attracted to rarity, to that end I propose that we keep the increased shiny rate, but introduce more shiny pallets to each pokemon. Instead of having just one shiny version there could be many. (colors, etc.) So while the rate of encounter is reduced you still wont know WHICH shiny you will get.

An increase in shiny color palettes could prove to be interesting...

Apparently there is a way to determine if a Pokemon has been generated illegally or not in these games, so I don't think that's a concern. The sense of accomplishment is in obtaining a shiny legitimately in the actual game, it still is extremely rare.

Well RNG isn't technically hacking, it falls into that gray area. It's exploiting game mechanics and tricking the game into giving you what you want from what I understand.

I personally don't like it nor consider it legit as it goes aginst what the devs intended, but there are those who disagree.

I doubt RNG-abused Pokemon will be able to be detected, since you're essentially just timing the moment at which you're catching a given Pokemon; you're not externally modifying anything (plus, IMO that would be unfair to players who, for some random reason, simply decided to catch every Pokemon they see precisely 5 minutes after starting a given Emerald play session, while being totally unaware of the RNG abuse mechanic. Unlikely, but it's still a possibility ...).

And not to get into the "(P)RNG debate" too much, but I personally see it as valid as manipulating type effectiveness... From my knowledge, you're not blatantly given the type-matchup chart internally in most games (from my experience), but you can figure it out via "external exploits" (for example, researching the type-matchup chart somewhere online, and that's even encouraged; you pretty much have to know the type-matchup chart to win fair fights); RNG is similarly coded into the game but relies on external exploits. I doubt we'll know whether the developers "intended" RNG abuse or not (I mean, given the properly working PRNGs of Ruby, Sapphire (at least, when the internal battery hasn't run dry in Ruby/Sapphire), FireRed, AND LeafGreen, it seems weird that the Emerald PRNGsomehow has problems, especially since it's based off of the FR/LG engine) or whether they just left it in.

----

But anyway, regarding the shiny rate, I'm glad that the rate was supposedly increased. Not everyone has had the opportunity to see a shiny in-game (and red Gyarados and the B2W2 predetermined shiny pokemon don't count, yet not even everyone has had the opportunity to get those), which I feel each Trainer should at least experience at least once. I mean, someone with 999 hours and 59 minutes of playtime should at least get one shiny for all of that time spent playing Pokemon.. XD

Although shiny Pokemon are compelling, it's not like 1/4096 is a walk in the park - considerable effort is still required by shiny hunters. I'm glad that shiny Pokemon have been made more accessible, especially since a lot of the "good" colors for Pokemon are their shiny counterparts...Gliscor and Frogue/Greninja come to mind... I don't really care about the shiny Pokemon with ugly colors, but a shiny Pokemon is a shiny Pokemon, so I'll take what I can get. :P
    Shiny Pokemon post-Generation 2 yield no in-battle benefits, so it's not like there's much cause for alarm. I mean, people don't complain when other people have (insert applicable legendary version mascot Pokemon here), yet those are considerably rare in themselves, if not more-so (without trading or downloading events, while you can literally have PC BOXES full of shiny Pokemon in one save file, you can only have 1 of your version mascot).

Additionally, if Game Freak's spriters/recolorers are going to bother recoloring all of those sprites/models, I think you would want more people to see it.. There's no point in dedicating all of that work (I'm not sure how long recolors take, or whether the artists do it selectively with each and every sprite/3D model, or what) to a feature that people are barely going to see while playing, especially when said work could be dedicated towards other stuff, like offering more clothing colors or something.

I'm glad Pokerus seems to be more common, too; aside from being some "rare thing"; it's only purpose is to save time, and pre-Generation 6, the time spent just looking for the Pokerus likely far outweighs whatever time you'll save during EV Training any given Pokemon. -_-

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Shiny encounter rate has definitely increased. Many sites confirm this, and I believe them, too. In previous gens, I was able to run into a new shiny Pokémon every two - three months. In gen six, though, it's a completely different story. Within just the first month of gameplay, I've had the chance to stumble into a total of three shinies; isn't that surprising? Haven't been able to catch one of them, as I accidentally made it faint. But the other two—I've captured them successfully. d: I'm glad that they've decided to increase the shiny encounter rate. Shiny Pokémon are meant to be rare, but not that rare.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm not bothered. After learning to RNG in gen V, I could get shinies whenever I want, however I will still always appreciate and be excited about random shinies. That won't be taken away from me personally, even though the odds are increased. I mean, big deal. It's just an alternate color, and it will give people who have never gotten a shiny a better chance of finding one. What's so wrong with that?

Edit: Just wanna add I don't have any shinies in X, aside from a Sentret that someone traded me, but obviously that doesn't count. :P Still hoping to find one soon!

Last edited:

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • I only see shinys as a free legendary coupon XD
    Doubling a chance that is unbelievably tiny will still make it very very rare. There is no problem as it is still rare. The only way shinys actually do lose value is when the chances allow you to find one every other hour. Shinys are still valuable in that they are still pretty rare to find. How come when the masuda method was announced, no one was complaining when all you need is to breed two different nationality pokemon with each other, which are easy to find thanks to the GTS, and the chances are more higher than the changes made now?

Years
  • I don't really see a thrill in potentially having to wait ten or fifteen years for your first shiny so I'm glad the rate was increased. Even with these doubled rates, though, a lot of people still aren't finding any of them.. so it's not like we're getting them left and right either. So yes, I find this to be a very welcome change!

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Shiny Pokemon are going to be meh after a bit... There is some kind of trick to guarantee hatching shiny Pokemon (by coordinating with other trainers), so why bother relying on methods and luck. I am remembering the villain from The Incredibles "If everyone is special, then nobody is special."

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I still have only ever found two shinies in my life, and neither of those were found in X and Y. XD; So I'm a bit glad that the rate has increased.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    It's awesome that it increased. I've only ever found one random shiny before this and that was in Emerald. I'm glad I have a better chance now without having to RNG.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I get that people are bothered by shinies being more common... but guys, be realistic - 1/4096 is by no means common by anyone's standards. They're still a special thing and you still have to be lucky to bump into one. More common, sure, but common and losing their significance? I really don't see an argument there.

That said I'm not experiencing the benefits of this yet, haha. Still not bumped into a shiny in Y version at all. In fact, I don't remember the last random shiny I bumped into... I think it was a Wailmer back in Ruby version.

Superstrength79 said:
    There is some kind of trick to guarantee hatching shiny Pokemon (by coordinating with other trainers), so why bother relying on methods and luck. I am remembering the villain from The Incredibles "If everyone is special, then nobody is special."

I get why this bothers you, but I feel like there's always been some trick to guarantee getting a shiny Pokémon. Before X/Y many games have been susceptible to RNG abuse for example, and failing that, there were AR codes and whatnot. People who want shinies so much that they want to be guaranteed them have been forcing them to appear for a while now. At least we have a more collaborative way to do it now as opposed to messing with game mechanics via the RNG or cheating for it.

UseTheRNGLuke

The RNG is strong in this one.
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2014
    Shinies were never meant to be common, that's why people cared about them. If the government injected £500B more into circulation, money would mean less. As more shinies are injected, because you've gotta be pretty nuts to release them, they get more common, but as more people play Pokemon there's more people trying to get one, so the demand evens out. Since Gamefreak made them even less rare in X/Y, I just think it's a step in completely the wrong direction in the long term, shinies will outrageously outweigh players when there's already RNG abuse, hacking, ect. If anything, they should have made them rarer, because the shiny market is crashing, and it's not fair on the hardcore fans who earned their shinies.

I think Gamefreak is dumping the hardcore fans to better suit casuals, and I don't like it.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • Even if 1 in 4000 is rare, it's still an outrageous compared to 1 in 8000-something! What happened to the value of rarity? Increasing the chances by even a little bit immediately removes what makes shinies special! The feeling of finding a true, rare, unexpected shiny is unmatched! It's an experience that can't be duplicated by increasing odds! At least when shiny methods were introduced, we could have avoided them. Now, this change is forced and completely ruins what it means to truly entounter a shiny! Shinies arent things we trade for or breed for or chain for just to ogle at their pretty colors, the real satisfaction is the heart-pounding, awe-inducing, almost orgasmic sensation of "Oh my God!" that makes us stop everything else, wake up everyone and cry tears of goddamn happiness! It's an experience worth waiting for, it's an experience worth experiencing just a few times in a single lifetime! It's almost blasphemous to expect such satisfaction from increased odds! "it's for casual players", "it's for people who never got one in their life before", "it's more fair now"...no, just...no! For God's sake I spentmy entire childhood, years and years, hundreds upon hundreds of hours in every. Single. Pokemon game up to the 4th gen wishing for a shiny. When it happened unexpectedly while playing Crystal, the pure emotion and awe of the moment was staggering. No words can truly describe what I felt as I threw my only Master Ball at that Tangela, saved and slowly comprehended what had just happened.

Am I overexaggering on why this change is bad? Doubt it, but maybe. Was I the only one who reacted that way when encountering my first shiny? Possibly. Am I putting way too much thought and attachment to something fictional? Very likely. But I can only hope others agree with my sentiments.

Back