• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So, what exactly makes a good game?

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    For me it depends on the game and whatever genre it is. If it's an RPG (non-Pokemon, or something like Oblivion or Fallout doesn't count) then it's all about story. I can deal with poor gameplay but if it's an RPG then I can't deal with a poor story. If it's a shooter then it's almost always about gameplay. If you don't have good gameplay then you have a bad shooter. There are a few games out there that I like story over gameplay, such as Metal Gear Solid 4. The gameplay on that game was... so so, I mean there's way better shooters out there. But as far as story goes that is one of my fav games. Racing games is about the gameplay. And if it's a realistic racer (Forza, Gran Turismo) then fancy graphics doesn't hurt.
    I'm not big on graphics. I do like nice pretty looking games. But I play Minecraft and have fun with that... and if you know what Minecraft looks like then you can see that game looks like crap when it comes to the graphics department.

For me there's not really a set standard on what I like or dislike. Sort of a vague answer but it's what I got... I like playing what I like to play. XD

Years
    Something that brings people together for mutual enjoyment, or the community. I want a game with a social aspect or even a sense of camaraderie among players.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Gameplay is number 1 to me. The game can have the best story ever but if the gameplay flat out sucks then I dont see myself finding out the rest of the story. Also replay value is another thing I love to see in games. I always usually do the main story first and when i beat the game I love to go back and do the side quests/missions and all that good stuff :D. Third is story because I do admire a good story :P. Music is a bonus and not as much a requirement for a game. But I would rather play a game with music that gets me pumped though

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
    I belive all apects of the game is improtant.

The gameplay should have solid, simple controls(correct me if I'm wrong, but NOBODY likes to have compliated controls.) & be fun.

The music needs to match the moment, stage or/& charater & be of good quality. (I'm sure we all HATE horribly made music.)

Replay value should be as infinte as possible... after all, why even buy a game if you know you'll only get bored with it?

Graphics should be good... Not only are better graphics easy on the eyes, you'll also know where everything is better.

If the game has a story, it needs to be well-written, otherwise the game will fall flat.

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    Well, I'm terrible at console games. MMORPGS are really my strong suit, game-wise. And I have to say that a really nice communitybase, an actual storyline, complicated and unique skills/jobs/etc. that can make you feel more unique yourself, and finally, good graphics and character customization. Some bad components would be mean community, bad graphics, cashed, etc.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    What I look for in games is lots and lots of replay value and customization. I sometimes even look for artificial extensions in games sometimes.

Years
    hmmm wat makes a good game??
    Definately the story line and the gameplay, those two are a must!
    Good music helps to enhance the games experience so thats also important.
    Graphics not so much, they're nice and all and of course i get excited whenever a game brings out awesome new graphics like uncharted and uncharted 2 did but not a must for a good game, i mean look at the old games that we all still play, we dont play them for the their graphics, play them cuz they wer great games!

Back