• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Soccer vs Football

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
    Years
    Do you get offended when someone calls that sport you use your feet for something other than what you call it? Being an American, I call it Soccer but I realize it is called other things elsewhere, so I never get offended. I personally don't see the big deal.

Oh, and sorry if this has been discussed before. I understand if it gets closed.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I prefer it if it's Football and American Football, but those who call it Soccer then I don't seem to mind. I could probably guess that it's been discussed many times.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    I know there's already a GE thread talking about Football/Soccer, but it's more of a discussion thread about what's actually happening in the season. I'll just move this to GE and have Ante deal with it as he sees fit.

-moced.

soccer, btw

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    No disrespect to American Football fans but, even though it can also trace its roots back to a common denominator (as does rugby), the real football is played with feet, and the only player allowed to pick up the ball is the goalkeeper.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
    For me, football is soccer and soccer is football. They both mean the sport where two teams kick a ball around a field and try to score goals at opposite sides. If I want to mention the other sport with the ball that isn't round, I'll say rugby.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I personally call the football that I usually know as Soccer, meanwhile if I see the sport where the ball is not quite round, I call it American Football. I think I can differentiate these 2 different sports easily this way.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, being English, I call the beautiful game Football (As opposed to American Football, the one with all the waiting around in it). I don't get offended, but if somebody told me I was wrong to call it Football then I'd get pretty darn angry - if it was founded as football, been called that all its existence by the people who created it, then its football.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
    In scotland we call soccer football so that is what I call it. but if you want to call it soccer go ahead it wouldn't bother me.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    I live in the USA and I call it football, I'm guessing since my parents are from Mexico, I just got more used to it - I grew up with it - I watch football a lot [on TV or in the stadium], since in Mexico futbol is very popular - so to me its natural instincts to just call it football.

I don't get offended or get defensive when someone else calls it soccer - I just get annoyed when some one else tries to convince me that I'm wrong or that its not the right term.

that NFL stuff [which I do watch, I love my Seahawks] I just simply call NFL or Americanized Rugby (to me NFL more closely resembles Rugby than football)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    If everyone knew that American football is also known as gridiron, and then dispensed with calling it football (really, are feet involved with the ball in any way?), there'd be no problem with what is meant when either is mentioned.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
    I used to kinda mind for some odd reason, but nowadays I don't really care as much. As long as the game is widely discussed and Chelsea does well people can call it whatever they want.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
    I never get offended and believe people should call things whatever they please. I only get offended when people tell me what to call things. Many countries have their own words to describe different things. When it comes to sports, this is the difference between football and soccer:

FOOTBALL
    The sport I call football in the United States is actually one of two types of football.
    Both are officially known as North American football or gridiron football.
    The two different types are American football and Canadian football.
    People from both countries refer to their own version of it as simply football.
    People from other countries such as Australia and New Zealand refer to it as gridiron.

SOCCER
    The sport people call football in most countries is officially known as association football.
    People from the United States and Canada refer to it as soccer.
    People from other countries such as Australia and New Zealand refer to it as both.

NOTE: Not to be confused with rugby football (league and union) which is its own sport.

Last edited:
    Years
    I don't mind what people use, but to me it's football and american football.

I think it'd make things a lot simpler if Americans referred to their game as gridiron or even just as NFL (Australia's version of gridiron appears to regularly be referred to just by the league name).

Years
    Growing up in North America, I've always referred to association football as soccer, rugby football as rugby, and American/Canadian football as plain old football. And I always found it interesting that there are people out there that are actually offended by people calling it soccer, considering the term originated in England, where it's still primarily known as football.

All I know is that it doesn't matter if they're both called football, I like watching them both.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    I don't mind, and I don't understand how people can be so offended about this. It's a matter of culture, words changes regarding the place where you live.
    I laugh at all the complaining people who criticize americans, "huuuuh you play this game with your feet so that is FOOT-ball no soccer :(", since they would be the first to claim it should be soccer if they were born is USA.
    Well, aside from that, I call it football, because in my country we say football.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    When someone says "soccer", I simply reply by calling the other sport "handegg", since you play it with an egg-shaped thing that you grab with your hands so it makes perfect sense!

Actually I don't care as long as it's on good faith. Same as with u's, it's okay if you don't use them but don't tell me "behaviour" is a misspelling or else.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
    When someone says "soccer", I simply reply by calling the other sport "handegg", since you play it with an egg-shaped thing that you grab with your hands so it makes perfect sense!

Actually I don't care as long as it's on good faith. Same as with u's, it's okay if you don't use them but don't tell me "behaviour" is a misspelling or else.
    Well the ball is kicked during field goals and punts so the name makes partial sense lol.

Back