• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Solgaleo and Lunaala comparing to previous generation's box legendaries?

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Hello, so gen 7 two main legendaries are Solgaleo(Psychic/Steel) and Lunaala (Psychic/Ghost) .
    I would love to hear your opinions and thoughts of them ( design, concept and typing wise of course because we still don't have the chance to play them in game).

I personally find the concept of these two legendaries really refreshing and unique. Their designs might be too complex and detailed but I still find them attractive.
    I do however find gen 6 mascots (Xerneas and Yveltal) the best box legendaries so far, design wise and concept wise. I mean- the Pokemon of life and the Pokemon of death? Thats an awesome concept.
    Would like to hear your opinions <3

Solgaleo and Lunaala comparing to  previous generation's box legendaries?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    They're not bad. I like Lunala more than gen 3 and 4's mascots (not including Giratina, though, because Giratina is great), while I'd rank Solgaleo on par with them. But the mascots of gen 2, 5, and 6 I like more, design-wise--and possibly lore-wise, although to be fair we don't know the exact in-game lore of Solgaleo and Lunala. But I like the idea of "life vs. death" and "yin and yang" more than "the sun and the moon." Lunala being a bat is super clever, though.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It's kind of hard for them to beat the Gen V Tao Trio for me really. Tao Trio features an abstract concept (unlike all the other ones), they're all of my favorite type, and they factor into the story and lore far more than other set of box legends (which are usually little more than the thing the villain team wants to use to do bad things with, and tend to get little lore expansion, with rare exceptions like Giratina and Rayquaza).

It's hard to make a judgement tho since we know so little about them and haven't been able to use them yet. But Game Freak has their work cut out for them if they wanna make box legendaries I like more than Gen V's.

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2019
    Solagaleo and Lunala are pretty cool.

The concept is okay but mediocre compared to the other box legends in my opinion. We had land/sea/sky, time/space, good/evil/neutral, life/death/balance...then just sun/moon. It's not bad, I like the concept of a sun and moon pokemon, but it's just okay compared to the other concepts. And tbh I always thought Darkrai and Cresselia already represented the moon.

The designs, like every box legendary, are awesome. Solagaleo and Lunala match each other very well design wise, and still look awesome on their own. Not much left to say.

The typings though don't make too much sense. I'm fine with both being psychic, but Solagaleo should NOT be steel type. He doesn't look it, and why should a pokemon based off the sun be steel-type? If the sun is made of fire, shouldn't it be fire-type? Also, it just feels ironic for the sun pokemon to be weak to fire... as for Lunala, ghost-type fits well enough. I feel dark-type would fit it more though. Also, 4x weak to both ghost and dark is pretty sad. I know Hoopa has the same type, but at least it changes when it becomes unbound.

All in all, pretty cool. Not the best but cool. So far I'd rank:

1. Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem
    2. Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde
    3. Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza
    4. Solagaleo/Lunala/???
    5. Dialga/Palkia/Giratina
    6. Lugia/Ho-oh

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
    The typings though don't make too much sense. I'm fine with both being psychic, but Solagaleo should NOT be steel type. He doesn't look it, and why should a pokemon based off the sun be steel-type? If the sun is made of fire, shouldn't it be fire-type?

Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe because the Sun has some metals in its composition, like iron, magnesium and silicon (even though it's primarily made of Hydrogen and Helium). I do get your point though. I wouldn't mind Solgaleo being Fire/Psychic!

blue

gucci
    Years
    I've grown to really like Solgaleo and Lunala, more so than most box legendaries. I'd place these two on par with Dialga and Palkia who are my second favourite pair of legendaries right behind Kyogre and Groudon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Solagaleo and Lunala are pretty cool.

The concept is okay but mediocre compared to the other box legends in my opinion. We had land/sea/sky, time/space, good/evil/neutral, life/death/balance...then just sun/moon. It's not bad, I like the concept of a sun and moon pokemon, but it's just okay compared to the other concepts. And tbh I always thought Darkrai and Cresselia already represented the moon.

The designs, like every box legendary, are awesome. Solagaleo and Lunala match each other very well design wise, and still look awesome on their own. Not much left to say.

The typings though don't make too much sense. I'm fine with both being psychic, but Solagaleo should NOT be steel type. He doesn't look it, and why should a pokemon based off the sun be steel-type? If the sun is made of fire, shouldn't it be fire-type? Also, it just feels ironic for the sun pokemon to be weak to fire... as for Lunala, ghost-type fits well enough. I feel dark-type would fit it more though. Also, 4x weak to both ghost and dark is pretty sad. I know Hoopa has the same type, but at least it changes when it becomes unbound.

All in all, pretty cool. Not the best but cool. So far I'd rank:

1. Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem
    2. Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde
    3. Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza
    4. Solagaleo/Lunala/???
    5. Dialga/Palkia/Giratina
    6. Lugia/Ho-oh
    You made some interesting points out there. I had no idea that the Unova trio represented good/evil/neutral, good to know that.
    I think that the gen 6 concept (life/death/balance) was the most unique , with the biggest potential out of any of the other gens, but unfortunatelly GF didnt fully utilize it ( But thats a topic for another thread ).
    Anyhow, Its indeed true that the gen 7 mascots represent the Sun/Moon but perhaps there's something deeper than that? Lets wait and see :)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I think they are pretty epic looking and they match up pretty well with the rest of the box art legendaries. I wasn't skeptical at all when I saw them like I was when I saw Kalos's (even though I did warm up to Xerneas and Yveltal after a while), but these ones fit right in. They are also really different in that they aren't the standard typings, either (mainly that they're not Dragon, even though I love Dragons)

Years
    My favorite box legendaries would be Ho-Oh/Lugia and Dialga/Palkia. I really do love the designs for Solgaleo and Lunala. They look really cool and I like Solgaleo a bit more because I'm a Leo, lol. I don't think they're the best but they are good and at least to me look better than Xerneas/Yveltal.
    Well regarding Solgaleo's typing, I think Lockstin does a good job explaining why it works. Though beginning is kind of insulting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElwivsXrg04
    That video was pretty informative. Certainly increases my like of Solgaleo even more.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
    They looks pretty good. But as for opposites, night and day ain't exactly thrilling, especially when compared against land + sea, time + space, yin + yang, life + death.

Probably ranked above Lugia and Ho-oh but that's about it for me.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    My favorite thing about Solgaleo and Lunala is that according to the datamine of the demo, they seem to have pre-evolutions. Not counting Manaphy(Manaphy is a Mythical), I believe these are the first Legendaries in the 20 years of Pokémon to get pre-evolutions. I really like the design of them too, they're like adorable cosmic baby things or something.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    I like Solgaleo a lot although am somewhat surprised it is not Fire type. However it has an excellent design and whilst it won't be on my in-game team I will use it extensively post game. Rare for a Steel Type for me.

The Moon Legendary is also well designed but I am not as much a fan.

In terms of comparison to the other Box Legendaries I put them below Unova's and Hoenn's and on a tie with Kalos.

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
    Years
    I like them design wise, but I need to see them in the game to determine where they will rank on my list. If they are heavily involved with the story, then they will probably make it high on the list. It will take a lot to best the Tao trio for me, though.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I like them design wise, but I need to see them in the game to determine where they will rank on my list. If they are heavily involved with the story, then they will probably make it high on the list. It will take a lot to best the Tao trio for me, though.

You're right. I wonder what stats they're gonna have

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    They are fantastic, tbh. Solgaleo and Lunala's names are pretty weird (perhaps they have some really cool meanings I don't know of, but they seem a bit lame) but their designs and mythological inspirations are really cool.

Imo Xerneas and Yveltal matched up to them in terms of design and concept, and Lugia and Ho-oh were maybe not quite as intricately composed, but their overally visual designs are marvelous and stand the test of time. Whereas the gen 4 and gen 3 box art legendaries (except for Rayquaza) are frankly terrible looking in comparison to the latest two gens imo. They're just... clunky o: Not as vivid and interesting as the Kalos and Alola designs.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    I personally really like these two! it's hard to compare them two previous legendary pairs since I like Solagaleo a lot more than Lunala (I think she has a great design, but I simply don't like Y shapes), I would probably put them below the DP and BW duos but above the RS and GS ones.
    I definitely think they are a step up from the XY duo, Xerneas was kinda boring and Yveltal is easilly my least favourite box legendary, they had a cool concept but the designs didn't do much for me. Lunala looks 100 times better than Yveltal despite also being Y shaped.
    Solgaleo and Lunala's names are pretty weird (perhaps they have some really cool meanings I don't know of, but they seem a bit lame)

Their names come from Latin/Spanish, Solgaleo is a combination of Sol (Sun),Galileo (Heliocentric Theory) and also a pun on Leo (Lion) while Lunala is literally Moon Wing.
    I think Solagaleo's name is pretty cool, Lunala however feels a bit too bare since her name isn't even a play on words, it is just two words stuck together.

Back