• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Some notes on chaining shinies

iTeruri

iAm
Years
  • It seems that most rules have changed. I only entered the wildly shaking patches of grass, ignoring all rules that were present in generation IV. Without any hassle I chained 40 Skiddo, and sure enough got a shiny one about 5 minutes later.

Years
  • Sometimes I'll purposefully run into a different shaking grass and it will still be the same pokemon that I'm chaining. It can't just be luck since I've done it over 10 times now :P also my chain seems to randomly decide to break even when I'm certain the grass shook the same.

Edit - Also, I've been assuming that my chain is broken if I a) run into a different pokemon or b) do something that stops the pokeradar automatically searching (such as running away from a battle) but are there other ways of breaking a chain that can't be detected such as evolution? I ask this because I just got a chain of "40" and still found no shiny patches after resetting the pokeradar like 60 times.

If evolution can break a chain then please excuse me while I go kill my Azurill which evolved twice while I was getting that chain -_- (although the pokeradar still searched after the evolution)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Thanks fr the info.! I will definitely take this into account when looking for shinies. I've been focusing on past game events and am about to focus on Gen VI competitive battling.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Just one thought to add, I've experimented with this and it's worked so far with no problems:

You actually can go in an edge/corner space to continue your chain safely, but after doing so, you HAVE to reset the radar. Meaning, you can't just run into the next patch of grass that matches, a reset is necessary or your chain is guaranteed to break.

I've done this in that one 5x5 patch of grass where Scyther is and successfully got a chain of 20+ before I stupidly ran into a wrong patch. This should make things easier, especially when dealing with a very small surface area!

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2023
    Just one thought to add, I've experimented with this and it's worked so far with no problems:

You actually can go in an edge/corner space to continue your chain safely, but after doing so, you HAVE to reset the radar. Meaning, you can't just run into the next patch of grass that matches, a reset is necessary or your chain is guaranteed to break.

I've done this in that one 5x5 patch of grass where Scyther is and successfully got a chain of 20+ before I stupidly ran into a wrong patch. This should make things easier, especially when dealing with a very small surface area!

It doesn't work that way...I'm kinda sure of that^^

The thing about the corner/edge is that it's the right pokemon (if the previous rules are applied), but it may broke AFTER the battle with no shakes grasses and the music turning into the normal one.)

I've had this happened for like two or three times, since i don't go on edges/corners that much, but one was a 38 haunter chain...

Back