• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Some signatures can be kind of annoying...

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Especially the ones that have links to sites that I really don't want to visit. Could we either make it against the rules to flood the page with links to other sites in your signature, or add a button to the side of the page, that will let us block an individual person's signature?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I would welcome a text limit on signatures again, tbh. I've seen people taking advantage of that to have huge signatures of text, since apparently they don't count towards the 500x300 limit.

But as far as links, I don't think there should be some kind of limit. I mean, it's your own signature, if you want your signature to be 10 links instead of 10 lines of text, why not? A link isn't any more annoying than the word itself. Blocking an individual signature might be nice but I have a feeling that would be very hard to implement :x

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    If you don't want to visit the site... just don't click on the link? I don't exactly see what the problem here is.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I would welcome a text limit on signatures again, tbh. I've seen people taking advantage of that to have huge signatures of text, since apparently they don't count towards the 500x300 limit.

But as far as links, I don't think there should be some kind of limit. I mean, it's your own signature, if you want your signature to be 10 links instead of 10 lines of text, why not? A link isn't any more annoying than the word itself. Blocking an individual signature might be nice but I have a feeling that would be very hard to implement :x

If you don't want to visit the site... just don't click on the link? I don't exactly see what the problem here is.
    What if these links take you to sites with viruses/spyware etc? It's really easy to accidentally click on them, while scrolling down the page.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    There isn't much the staff can actually do about the links. They would have to make them against the rule, but the signature is the cornerstone of advertising. Or really.. the only place you can. Try download free anti virus software such as avast! or maybe Avira AntiVir Those should stop block any virus/malware, if not get rid of them. Hope this helps.

Plus, if it is a REALLY bad site for malware, message the user and let them know, or tell a staff member. I'm sure there is something that they could do from there.

RetardRaichu

Banned
    Years
    Or if you have Windows, Microsoft Security Essentials.
    Those 3 are the only ones 100% confirmed to work.
    DON'T BUY/DOWNLOAD ANYTHING BESIDES SECURITY ESSENTIALS CLAMING TO BE FROM MICROSOFT, WHEN YOU DOWNLOAD THEM IT GIVES YOU A BACKDOOR AND A LINK TO "FIX" THE PROBLEM!!
    Speaking of viruses..
    What's up with that mightymagoo/playsushi/playpickle/gamevance stuff?
    I mean they actually advertise to give you viruses? O_o

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    Exactly like Retard Raichu said. If you follow the link to site, be careful. Don't download anything etc.

Maybe PC could set up a redirect page that warns others they are going to a different site that could be dangerous etcetc? Other sites use it, Gaia to name one. It could have the option in the User CP to be enabled/disabled.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Yeah, considering signatures are like the only place you can advertise, it would be pretty strict to get rid of all links. Even I have links in my signature, to different parts of PC but those would be banned as well. :< Are viruses even a big enough problem to warrant it? Have you clicked a link that turned out to be a virus? If it's an issue, this may be an option, but I'm not convinced it's a huge issue at this point.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    I was looking through the User CP, and their is an option to force the underline on links. This would make them more noticeable, at least. You could turn that on. I'm sure it would help you noticed them, and thus click on them less.

Years
    As a last resort you've got the option to turn signature viewing off, if it's that much of a worry for you. Of course someone could still post links that you don't want to click on. There's always going to be that possibility. But you can't disable all links because at some point you just have to be more careful.

Years

i agree alley cat. i can't stand people who complain about "ohh i don't want to visit the links!"...ok...then don't. nobody's making you do anything. you're a free citizen in this community. yeah, the links are annoying and i don't like them either but they're probably one of the easiest things to ignore on here.

also another thing that someone already mentioned: some of those links could potentially be a hazard to your computer aka viruses and spyware/adware. if you DO want to visit the links then go to google and search "malware bytes" and you should see a page with a free download. no it won't infect your computer or anything, it's just a small download that your computer will hardly notice and even thank you for in the long run. if you don't believe me, then go out and buy the entire malware set for about $75...trust me, free's the way to go.

Years

Plus, if it is a REALLY bad site for malware, message the user and let them know, or tell a staff member. I'm sure there is something that they could do from there.
    Just go ahead and tell a staff member, in that case.

From what I've seen, signatures from legit PC members are usually clean (and when I say usually, I don't think I've seen problems with one yet, link-wise). If there's a user with suspicious links in their sig, such as one leading to malware, then odds are good they're a spambot that we'd like to get rid of ASAP, so...report away.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    How exactly are you scrolling that would cause you to click on anything besides the scrollbars?
    If you use those you could make them thicker in your display options (assuming such customisation hasn't been left out in newer Windows operating systems — if I'm not mistaken, you're a Windows 7 user), which should make them harder to mis-click upon. Otherwise it may be easier for all concerned if you simply change the way you navigate along/across pages.

As a last resort you've got the option to turn signature viewing off, if it's that much of a worry for you.
    I did this at least a year ago due to the sheer number of large signatures that would overshadow thought-out posts.
    I'm glad for the option, maybe others would be too if they tried it.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Fortunately disabling viewing signatures in posts doesn't disable seeing them on their profile. So Cassino is on to something, but I wouldn't mind being able to disable a specific users' signature temporarily if theirs is offensive-yet-within rules. I like the signature rules as they are now.

Years
    I'd have to agree with Alley Cat and Scarf (and others) here, in that if links in signatures are really annoying you so much, you can turn signatures off via your User CP or you can just ignore them. Both require very little effort.

I've got no problems with adding a button to disable an individual person's signature should the staff decide to implement it, however.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    That doesn't really seem very fair though, does it? I like seeing my own signature, and there are a lot of others that are really cool. It's just that it's very easy to accidentally click on stuff, while scrolling down the page quickly. Making them more visible won't change anything.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'll just respond to a few different people at once here:

That doesn't really seem very fair though, does it? I like seeing my own signature, and there are a lot of others that are really cool. It's just that it's very easy to accidentally click on stuff, while scrolling down the page quickly. Making them more visible won't change anything.

Which raises the question that I believe someone asked before...how are you scrolling? If you're clicking the scroll bar on the side you wouldn't accidentally click anything. If you're using a scroll wheel you won't click anything. If you use the space bar like me you won't click anything. What kind of scrolling causes accidental clicks?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    On a laptop, you usually scroll with the mouse pad thingy, which makes it very easy to accidentally click. Same with while typing.

On my desktop, I use a mouse wheel, but I wasn't being quite so literal when I said scrolling. I was just referring to navigating the thread in general. It would mostly come from simple misclicks, accidental clicks, or perhaps hovering over a link to see what it actually is, and accidentally clicking. (It happens. lol)

Back