• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Something about pokemon hacks(and hackers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

God of pokemon

Strategic pokemon trainer...
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 2, 2012
    I joined pokemoncommunity 2 years ago.I simply love this site,but there are some differences between past and present.I'm speaking of course about pokemon hacks(and hackers),not all of course.I notice that as time passed less hacks where finished and more where abandoned.I don't know why this happened maybe we are growing up and we concider pokemon childish.I loved hacks that's why I keeped on playing pokemon like shinygold,dirtbrown,etc.Many good hacks where abandoned like the orange islands.I don't know maybe the change of pokemon generation of games,caused this.I don't consider anyone a loafer.Just anyone give me an explanation.

Regards God of pokemon.
    (Sorry for my english I'm from Greece,a nation located southwest of Europe.(spatans,athensetc.))

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I think it might have something to do with the fact that it has become more complecated or there isnt enough support for a hack.

Shiny gold

everyone has a banner (well nearly)

It has so much support that zel dosent want to let people down.

I certainly wouldnt...

Sometimes people take breaks and forget all about it.

(your english is better then mine)
    Thats just my opinion

Years
  • Moved this to ROM-Hacking, where it (kind of) belongs. You're not going to get people in Other Chat... we don't hack there. XD

I don't know much about hacking, but I do want to say people get busy... that might be why so many people abandon their projects.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I believe it has something to do with Diamond and Pearl coming out. People feel that their ideas should contain the new pokemon, but they are limited by R/S/E/LG/FR standards. I personally don't mind using only the older pokemon, I like them! But, many want their games to be as close to their visions as possible, which more than likely include Diamond and Pearl aspects now. Currently others and myself are working on Diamond and Pearl hacking, but... It's only come so far.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    maybe hackers tend to think about a storyline, then decides to hack, and post it in PC...

but as time flies by silently, they somehow lose interest in their hacks.., well maybe because...

1. they're too busy...
    2. they don't know much about hacking...
    3. they lost their will to go on (maybe 'cause less supporters.., flaming.., spamming, saying that they copied it, but they really haven't...)...
    4. the hacking programs they have won't work anymore (just a guess...)
    5. moved on with their lives ("i'm too old for pokemon... time to move on..." something like that...)...
    6. not confident to have competition with other amazing hacks here in PC...

that's all i think...

oh well...

Years
  • I think there are two reasons.

1. They think they're hack isn't good enough because they compare their hacks to ones like Shiny Gold. And they think that they don't have much support, but it takes some time before a hack gets noticed by people here.

2. They started their hack too early. I myself started a hack and quit, all within a couple of days. I wasn't ready to make a hack then, so I quit. Now I am. People need to make sure that they have got at least a couple of towns done before they post it on a major forum like this one. They need to see if they have enough skills to keep going.

Years
  • I can't remember how many hacks i've started in the last 2 or 3 years that i never really worked on again. mostly cuz i loose interest in about a week (execpt for my recent ones).

God of pokemon

Strategic pokemon trainer...
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 2, 2012
    Thanks for your answers.It may be that we are growing up,but the new generation doesn't really support pokemon.And this is because its quite old enough and there are many new anime series such as yu-gi-oh!I myself i'm 15 fifteen years old but I continue to support pokemon and pokemon hacking.I started waching pokemon since 2000!
    All hackers out there please continue working on your hacks.It doesn't mean Zel is a little better than you,you can't be better than him.You have to practise and with only practise you will achive the goal.You have to believe in yourselves.If anyone thinks that he can't do it alone just ask for someone to help.We all want to see many good hacks out there.

Regards
    God of pokemon

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • Well, I once had a hack and the reason I quit it was because no one posted on the thread and it made me feel like my hack sucked.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • It's true, hacking is a time-based process, as well as a trial and error one. People get discourged because they cannot make their visions come true right away, but they shouldn't be discouraged! It takes time to learn these things! I have been hacking for about 3 years now, and I'm still not that great at it. I decided to try out a new frontier, but I still hack 3rd gen. all the time. I always neglect to post my projects because it seems I consider them all practice for that one BIG project that will hit me one day. If you guys ever need help don't hesitate to go to the Simple Questions. There are some really nice people there that will help you out. Human teaching is the best way to learn something. That way if you get errors or don't quite understand a tutorial you can always ask and atleast get some kind of response.

destinedjagold

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I honestly believe that. ^^
    I will strive to finish my hack.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    God of pokemon said:
    It doesn't mean Zel is a little better than you,you can't be better than him.

No offense but alot of older hackers might find that offensive(mainly the ones who created the tools and use hex etc.), Teh Baro completed Quartz and CBM completed Brown years ago. Also saying that nobody is better than zel is the biggest insult of all, I reckon most older RBY hackers have more skill and talent than most people here. I am not trying to offend the hackers here today cause that does include myself. Hackers like CBM tend to have alot of more knowledge about hacking than alot of people today, so I wouldn't start comparing people to zel.

No offense zel, I was just trying to say that this person seems not to know much about hacking, it wasn't aimed towards you.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    I think there are two reasons.

1. They think they're hack isn't good enough because they compare their hacks to ones like Shiny Gold. And they think that they don't have much support, but it takes some time before a hack gets noticed by people here.

2. They started their hack too early. I myself started a hack and quit, all within a couple of days. I wasn't ready to make a hack then, so I quit. Now I am. People need to make sure that they have got at least a couple of towns done before they post it on a major forum like this one. They need to see if they have enough skills to keep going.

zel is not better than us (ok, maybe better than me he is ^^). he simply don't stop on these 2 problems: he doesn't give up, and he already has a nice knowledge of rom hacking. and whenever he has a problem, he try to figure how to solve it! he doesn't simply pass over and go on!

there are a simple way to hack: focus on simple targets, and only after those try something harder (zel does this too! he'll try things like night and day [example, can't remember if he will] only AFTER doing the whole game! it's useless concentrate on complex things before doing the most basics features of the game!); don't give up only 'coz nobody cares about you, and to prevent this, try to have a beta available shortly after posting; and, remember, this is a FORUM. there are thousands of people here for you!!

EDIT: and maybe we should stop using zel as a constant like the light's speed. "shiny gold = 1zel if my hack is less then 0,5zels i'm an idiot"

Years
  • zel is not better than us (ok, maybe better than me he is ^^). he simply don't stop on these 2 problems: he doesn't give up, and he already has a nice knowledge of rom hacking. and whenever he has a problem, he try to figure how to solve it! he doesn't simply pass over and go on!

there are a simple way to hack: focus on simple targets, and only after those try something harder (zel does this too! he'll try things like night and day [example, can't remember if he will] only AFTER doing the whole game! it's useless concentrate on complex things before doing the most basics features of the game!); don't give up only 'coz nobody cares about you, and to prevent this, try to have a beta available shortly after posting; and, remember, this is a FORUM. there are thousands of people here for you!!

EDIT: and maybe we should stop using zel as a constant like the light's speed. "shiny gold = 1zel if my hack is less then 0,5zels i'm an idiot"

I don't mean it like that. I only used Shiny Gold because everybody here knows about it. I could have used quartz(but I didn't think it was that good, no offence, teh baro) or brown just because most hackers should know about these. But I chose to use shiny gold.

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
  • In fact guys, who do you think are my hacking idols? Of course, Coolboyman and Baro ;) (If I started getting interested was thanks to Coolboyman at first with Brown, and then with Baro and Quartz)

And well, loving video games so much as I do and having the dream of becoming a video game maker are the keys to having so much energy to keep on rom hacking no matter what.

I still don't consider myself that much of an advanced hacker, because there are still lots of things that I do not want to explore to improve, while others really get deeper into their games, so those are the people who should be considered really good rom hackers. I'm just someone who applies the knowledge available pretty well :P

Enough talk about me?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • People give up there hacks simply because they think they're ready to release it after mapping. No offense, but those new to hacking usually think, "Oh, well, mapping that first town was easy! The rest will be easy too!" I was guilty of it too. Then came the horrors of scripting, every newbie's worst nightmare. The whole thing is, you've gotta use the game as a reference! You want a script of someone talking? Load up a script from the game and modify it. No offense but newbies complain when they make up a script that's entirely wrong, and then expect more experienced hackers to fix it, without even doing a little trial, error, and snooping around to get the answer. Then, when the more experienced hackers see that question that's been posted three times and answered three times already by three different people, they don't want to answer it a fourth time and the newbie posts over and over, "Answer my question, it's three pages back and no one's answered it!" The newer generation of hacker's, (those that started within the past six months,) want instant satisfaction. They can't get a script right, so they ask the question the instant it doesn't work. Then when it comes time they think they're ready to release their hack, they don't know what they're doing because the basic script that they messed up was done for them and they didn't learn anything! Hacks are given up because people are overwhelmed by the realization of, "I have no idea what I'm doing." And it's the truth because earlier on in their hacking experience, most people never learned that you're not gonna know everything the second you start. And then complain to experienced hackers when they don't have the will to practice! My advice is to start a hack you never intend to release. Practice and practice over and over on that hack, just to get the basics of each area covered. Why, before Orchid, I had atleast fifteen hacks unfinished because I was practicing. You should do the same and you'll learn alot.

No offence to the more recent hackers who aren't guilty of this, who actually took the time to practice before actually getting serious. This is aimed at the more recent hackers who seem to expect everyone else to help them with every little problem. I learned to hack by following the game's example. Try it, it works.

destinedjagold

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    amazing speaches ,zel and Deokishisu... :)
    i am really touched.
    i too, dream to be a game maker and I enjoy the life of a videogame addict. eheheh...

well.., mapping was too easy when I first started hacking.., but never in my thought that mapping is the key for the hack to be ready for posting...

scripting was one of my nightmares when I was hacking, though... eheheh...
    well.., like what zel said, I was interested to hacking mainly because of three hackers and three hackers only... namely they are Tamashii (the famous hacker girl in youtube), zel (you know him already, ehehehe) and thethethethe (when I was still a noobie hacker).

all of us started from the beginning. without the past, we couldn't rech the present and could not forsee the future.

no hackers are perfect all the time. they sometimes ask from other hackers to learn and improve and to use the knowledge to their hacks.

each one of us are unique... one hacker is good in scripting, the other is a very good spriter, and the other is an excellent mapper.

we need each other.
    (where am I going anyways..? I am really off-topic now....., maybe... hey.., this is all about hckers and hacks, maybe I'll go on...)

it's true that beginners tend to get excited the first try they hack... but too much excitement leads them to post their hacks too early (trust me.., I know... my hack was posted too early with just four scripts at first...)... but it's normal for us. we do get excited and couldn't think of anything else...

but we should learn from our mistakes. though we're not perfect.., we could learn from our mistakes and could apply the knowledge we have gained from our mistakes to the future awaiting us.

and, I am getting tired of typing this long post... (eheheh...)

well, hacking is a a sport, like chess. we think, we act, we strive, we succeed (if we win in a real chess game).

oh well... I'm out of words... phew... good day.

Years
  • I was interested to hacking mainly because of three hackers and three hackers only... namely they are Tamashii (the famous hacker girl in youtube), zel (you know him already, ehehehe) and thethethethe (when I was still a noobie hacker).

Wow. I never knew that. I can't believe it. It seems wierd to me because(not meaning to belittle[is that spelt right?] you or anything) but I think you've been hacking longer than me(I'm assuming this becasue you've been at PC longer than me and becasue I didn't start hacking until I'd been at PC for just under a month). I kind of feel honoured(a bit). Well anyway thanks and now back ontopic. Ummm..... Yes and back off-topic for a second, I don't count chess as a sport, neither is poker(Crazy ESPN), well.... yes, and back on topic again.
    Chaos Black(Not sure who made this(no new maps/scripts just fakemon), and Quartz were the first hacks that I played and Shiny gold brought me to PC, so I guess, the makers of those are my hacking idols. I guess that is talking about hacks and hackers.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2008
    newb

ive been poke hacking for just over a week and god is it tough...
    but its also enjoyable! i spend 2 days trying to find the software! a day getting it to work and a day figuring it out! after that i had to spend today finding an ini for emerald (thankyou pokecommunity) wich (no offence) doesnt work to well...
    but at the end of the day... i enjoyed myself and i felt proud! i can honestly look at my hack and say thats all me! lol ! dunno what im gonna do bout scripting tho! ^^

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back