• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Something I've been wondering about eggs...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    You know how a few times throughout the series people say that no one's ever seen a Pokemon egg be made? How the Day-Care couple just says "We don't know how it got there, but your Pokemon was holding it!"?

Why is this? Has no one really ever studied Pokemon reproduction? Are all the biologists of the Pokemon world too embarrassed to watch Pokemon have sex? Ya ever think about this?

Years
  • Maybe eggs aren't made the way eggs in our world are made. Pokemon might just throw special Pokemon energy at one another and when two compatible energies mix they create an egg. That would at least explain why no one really knows how it works.

Or maybe it works the way it does in our world, but since in the games you play as a young character the daycare couple are just "Oh, we have no idea *wink wink* how it got there. How mysterious!" because they don't want to talk to a kid about that kind of stuff.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Apparently, according to a girl in Solaceon Town, no one's actually seen how Pokemon eggs come about.
    From a meta perspective, this is just a clever way of keeping the games rated E for everyone by tiptoeing around references to secks. I've always assumed that since it's a total mystery that even scientists who study Pokemon have never witnessed it, I've always assumed Pokemon eggs actually do just pop out of thin air when two compatible Pokemon are within the same vicinity. But only when no humans are watching...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    As the other posters pointed out, I'm pretty sure the "oh, how did that mysterious egg get there?!" is kind of like the "babies come from storks" thing a lot of people like to tell children. They probably just want to spare the kid the details.

The only things I've wondered about Pokemon breeding is how mammalian-looking Pokemon can lay eggs, and how interbreeding doesn't create new hybrid Pokemon.

And I know the answer is just "screw it, they're Pokemon, not animals. There are no rules".

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Maybe eggs aren't made the way eggs in our world are made. Pokemon might just throw special Pokemon energy at one another and when two compatible energies mix they create an egg. That would at least explain why no one really knows how it works.

Or maybe it works the way it does in our world, but since in the games you play as a young character the daycare couple are just "Oh, we have no idea *wink wink* how it got there. How mysterious!" because they don't want to talk to a kid about that kind of stuff.

Aren't the player characters getting older? They used to be about 11, but now I have reason to believe they're about 16 in X/Y.

Apparently, according to a girl in Solaceon Town, no one's actually seen how Pokemon eggs come about.
    From a meta perspective, this is just a clever way of keeping the games rated E for everyone by tiptoeing around references to secks. I've always assumed that since it's a total mystery that even scientists who study Pokemon have never witnessed it, I've always assumed Pokemon eggs actually do just pop out of thin air when two compatible Pokemon are within the same vicinity. But only when no humans are watching...

Yeah, that's probably it. Sometimes I forget that little kids play Pokemon too, since most of the people I've encountered who play Pokemon are now 15+. That, and lots of 10 year olds play CoD.

Pokemon Professors can't differentiate what gender a child is nor remember their own grandchild's name, whats more they have to get randomly selected children to do their research for them.
    Am sure people who have no prospects or skills are just selected to become "professors" to give them something to do haha.

And that's a funny thing to bring up. You're right, I shouldn't expect much from the Pokemon Professors.

You all bring up good points.

itzBolt

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2013
    Nobody has seen it been made, so it probably is a different method from what we know as making eggs in the real world.

- itzBolt

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2022
    Thank you for bringing this up... I have a theoy about this...

Pokemon are said to be sentient I think, so they would be AWARE that humans are naer them so they would breed in the dark or hide and breed.

Also... Mammalian based Pokemon would technically still be mammals even if they lay eggs... This is becuase they would still have the characteristics of a mammal. (The Platypus is a mammal that lays eggs.)

As all Pokemon lay eggs, they would all be oviparous organisms, all mammalian based mammals WOULDN'T HAVE A VAGINA...(I don't understand why some artists draw female Pokemon with mammalian genitalia, it makes no sense!)

As to answer the hybrid question... I would think that the female somehow changes the genetical structure of the sperm cell to that of her species, ensuring that her ovum will be penetrated by the sperm cell... But that doesn't explain egg moves which are mutations...

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • As to answer the hybrid question... I would think that the female somehow changes the genetical structure of the sperm cell to that of her species, ensuring that her ovum will be penetrated by the sperm cell... But that doesn't explain egg moves which are mutations...

My thought has always been that Pokemon in the same egg group have compatible reproductive cells, the same number of chromosomes, and the particular species for the Pokemon is contained in mitochondrial DNA (since only the female passes on species).

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2014
    Well it would make sense that pokemon that are egg compatible have a certain requisite that allows for fertilization to occur AND produce a viable offspring. Keeping that in mind, in biology the two gametes (sperms amd egg) must have the same number of chromosomes for fertilization to occur as mentioned by someone else. This does cause problems when one considers that pokemom can belong to more than one egg group. It could be that all pokemon carry a chromosome for Egg Group. So a pokemon that is pure dragon like Goomy would have for egg chromosomes DD but a hybrid egg group pokemon like Charizard would be DM (dragon and monster hybrid). So when you try to breed a Blastoise that is mixed monster and water 1 egg type (MW1) with a goomy the resulting offspring can't have a compatible group but when breed with charizard the the dragon chromosome D would be compatible for both creating a dragon eegg. Also mentioned above was that mitochondrial DNA might have something to do with it. Since the mother is the determined the species of the pokemon it could be most of the DNA passed is from the female itself. This would shed light as to why the female now is able to pass her Pokeball to her offspring.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2020
    And have you guys ever wondered... like why the daycare people are holding on to it...

It's like they made an egg, and the daycare people just snatched it.. :(

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Or maybe it works the way it does in our world, but since in the games you play as a young character the daycare couple are just "Oh, we have no idea *wink wink* how it got there. How mysterious!" because they don't want to talk to a kid about that kind of stuff.
    This, unless you're willing to accept that the authority on Pokemon reproduction, Professor Elm, who has a child himself, has no idea about Pokemon Eggs in the first place until it was found, and no idea on where they came from.

Guest123_x1

The reason why the Pokémon expert NPCs don't know about how Pokémon eggs are formed is because GameFreak doesn't want us to know. If they had written the exact reason into the games, it would knock the games' ESRB rating to at least T, or more likely M.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • The reason why the Pokémon expert NPCs don't know about how Pokémon eggs are formed is because GameFreak doesn't want us to know. If they had written the exact reason into the games, it would knock the games' ESRB rating to at least T, or more likely M.

Not only that, but elucidating on the details of the breeding process raises another uncomfortable issue of...incest. With the whole "we don't know how it got there" thing, they can basically say "We don't even know for sure that these two Pokemon made it together".

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • Frankly, they could easily just get away with saying "Arceus did it" and be done with it if they really wanted to.

However, the other explanations provided seem more likely. Frankly, I don't want to know how a Wailord and a Skitty can make an egg. I really don't.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2014
    However, the other explanations provided seem more likely. Frankly, I don't want to know how a Wailord and a Skitty can make an egg. I really don't.[/QUOTE]

It's like a chihuahua and a great dane mating. Just takes a lot of effort! Haha
    But yea a I agree they are keeping things "innocent" as others have stated.

Back