• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sometimes it's better not knowing...

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
  • I'd pick to know everything. It's just in my nature.

Merged with a very similar thread by Nica in OVP, but because this seems like something that'll become more of a discussion I moved it into OC. Just a heads up for y'all.

Hey, thanks. I didn't notice that thread.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    If there's one thing I've learned it's that no matter how much you think you have learned, and no matter how much you think you know, you never know very much at all. The idea of knowing everything is inconceivable. In this human form, as limited and prone to error as we are, knowing everything in existence could drive us to madness. Ultimate knowledge sounds good and all, but does wisdom and mental stability come along with that? If not, knowing everything doesn't sound appealing at all.

Knowing nothing on the other hand you'd be reverted back to a baby. You'd be unable to talk, you'd have to re-learn how to control your body, but at the same time, all the dirt you've collected on your perceptual filters throughout your life will be cleared. In a sense, you get to start afresh with a brand new perspective on life.

If I had to I'd choose no knowledge at all. However, with the choices presented to me, I'd try to avoid choosing either and just get on with my life as it is. The no knowledge at all is the better of two bad options.

I responded to the OP visible here because I didn't see a thread merge had happened. In response to the merged OP, those are some even more difficult choices. Whatever sorcery would be responsible for that happening, I'd rather try to avoid or take it out than make that kind of choice.

rafaeldias

NostalgicGamer =)
    Years
  • Well, it all depends....
    Some things it's just better not know, and there are other things that are good
    for us to know.
    I'd choose option 1, but probably it would drive me to madness...
    What i think is: it must be balance in everything we know and do, in everything in
    our lives...

Fluorii

V.I.P.
    Years
  • I would want to know nothing. It's more fun when everything is a huge puzzle you have to crack yourself. Knowing everything would be like using cheats in a game. You would have everything and know everything. Boring.

Kishijoten

CEO of trouble making~
    Years
  • Would you rather know nothing or everything?

If you had the choice, would you rather go through your entire life with no knowledge at all, having to face hardships without any previous knowledge / understanding, though, in a sense, gives you innocence? Or alternatively, know everything, which comes at a price; knowing the meaning of life, knowing the best and worst of people, though you would know how to avoid certain situations.

Weigh the situations up, which would you prefer?

I perfer with no knowledge and have to face the hardships of life without any previous knowledge of a sitution because based on my opinion I think if people say they want to know everything about everything, they are more likly to find more cons than pro when it comes to knowing everything.

UltimaSilva

Varsity Quarterback
    Years
  • I would rather know everything. If I knew everything in the world then I could probably make cures for diseases that cannot be treated. Also, I would be able to intervene in time to keep bad things from happening.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I would rather not know. I don't want to know everything. If I did I wouldn't be myself.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Hard to tell. I'd say everything, but to what extent would "everything" really entail? And the same goes for knowing nothing. In what sense is knowing used? We "know" how to breathe, how to blink and how to learn from our surroundings, after all.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • Not knowing anything would be basically just be a different form of amnesia. I don't really want amnesia. I want to be able to know what I'm doing at the moment, who I'm talking to, what I'm touching is, etc.

Knowing everything for me, please.

Hard to tell. I'd say everything, but to what extent would "everything" really entail? And the same goes for knowing nothing. In what sense is knowing used? We "know" how to breathe, how to blink and how to learn from our surroundings, after all.
    You can bring that up as an argument, but we don't *know* how to blink. When we were born, we didn't know a thing in the world. We didn't know what we were, why we were here, or anything along those lines. We sure as hell would not have known how to blink.

At least that's how I see it, may be wrong.

Same goes for crying. A baby doesn't know how to cry, it just happens.

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    You can bring that up as an argument, but we don't *know* how to blink. When we were born, we didn't know a thing in the world. We didn't know what we were, why we were here, or anything along those lines. We sure as hell would not have known how to blink.

Not in the sense of conscious thought of course, but it's still information stored in the brain unless I'm terribly mistaken.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Knowing nothing would be some kind of horrid psychological torture for me. Knowing everything takes the mystery out of life, which, in a way, would suck some of its fun out. As much as I love having knowledge, I also love gaining it; moving from a position of ignorance to one of education. And if I knew everything, that would be something I would never experience again.

But, given the choices, it's not difficult. I would rather be omniscient.

Back