• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Song of the South (The unreleased Disney Movie)

Mad Hatteress

Just a little glitchy
    Years
    If you live in an area which releases Region 1 DVDs, chances are you've never since this film. If you've been to Disney World perhaps you've been on the ride Splash Mountain. If so, you know the characters Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox, and Brer Bear from the film Song of the South.

I got fed up and finally bought a bootleg version of this film. The reason this movie has been withheld is due to the fact people believe it contains racist stereotypes. What I read never even crossed my mind while watching this movie and I think people are looking too much into things.

What I saw was two races interacting in harmony. Johnny, the little white boy, adores Uncle Remus and his stories as well as playing with Toby. Johnny happens to come from a very rich family and he even befriends a dirt poor girl named Jenny. There was never any attention given to the color of one another's skin or financial situations.

In my view, this film is harmless. I think the song in Peter Pan called "What Makes the Red Man Red" is much more "racist" and "offensive" then Song of the South could ever be.

I really hope this post itself isn't deemed offensive or upset anybody. I just want to know what other people's opinions are. Also, if you're curious and want to see this movie, it's on youtube.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    I don't care to see any live action Disney films, but yeah, that Peter Pan song was quite awkward.

Mad Hatteress

Just a little glitchy
    Years
    I don't care to see any live action Disney films, but yeah, that Peter Pan song was quite awkward.

Aww... I really like those! Pete's Dragon was by far my favorite. In Song of the South the three Brer Rabbit stories were all animated.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    In my view, this film is harmless. I think the song in Peter Pan called "What Makes the Red Man Red" is much more "racist" and "offensive" then Song of the South could ever be.

If I recall, the last time Peter Parker Pan aired on TV, the red man song was cut off, but it's probably executive meddeling and paranoia of racism that never put the movie on home video, there is a petition that's goal is to release the film on DVD somewhere, and I recommend it being signed by you

In fact, pretty much nobody knows where "zippety doo dah" comes from, but I found out just this last year, and I believe this film is innocent and should not be ridiculed with paranoia of racism......

Mad Hatteress

Just a little glitchy
    Years
    ^ I signed a petition a long time ago. While it's nice people are trying to push Disney to release it, I've never believed online petitions do any good.

Recently, however, nine of the Censored 11 cartoons were showed at a film show. If those are starting to be "accepted" maybe Song of the South could be as well. It'll be public domain in 2038, so I'd think Disney would want to cash in before then.

Years
    It is pretty dated, and doesn't do anything to dispel that old idea of happy, subservient black people.

That issue aside I didn't think it was that entertaining a movie compared to the rest of Disney's body of work. The mix of live actors and animation may have been a technical achievement back then, but it came off as cheap to me.

Mad Hatteress

Just a little glitchy
    Years
    It is pretty dated, and doesn't do anything to dispel that old idea of happy, subservient black people.

That issue aside I didn't think it was that entertaining a movie compared to the rest of Disney's body of work. The mix of live actors and animation may have been a technical achievement back then, but it came off as cheap to me.

But this was AFTER slavery and maybe they really were happy since the woman who ran the plantation was so kind to them and treated them as her equal. Plus, it's a Disney movie. Only villains are allowed to stay permanently sad.

LOTS of Disney films are dated now, like my absolute favorite, Pete's Dragon. The age of a film should never be an issue. They still release Plan 9 From Outer Space, possibly the worst film of all time.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    LOTS of Disney films are dated now, like my absolute favorite, Pete's Dragon. The age of a film should never be an issue. They still release Plan 9 From Outer Space, possibly the worst film of all time.

It IS the worst film of all time, and suprisingly not reviewed and made fun of in MST3K.......

Mad Hatteress

Just a little glitchy
    Years
    It IS the worst film of all time, and suprisingly not reviewed and made fun of in MST3K.......

They actually addressed that in an interview. Apparently they felt it was too obvious of a film to riff xD

In a way they actually made up for it, though! There's an edition where Mike Nelson does commentary on it.

dannichols

A Theodore Tugboat Fan
    Years
    I have never saw the whole movie. But If you know the Sing A Long Disney Videos, then you might know a little about this movie.

I have the Sing A Long video "Zip A Dee Do Dah" and it is facinating. Now, I am planning on buying this DVD soon. And I will enjoy it.

Mad Hatteress

Just a little glitchy
    Years
    I have never saw the whole movie. But If you know the Sing A Long Disney Videos, then you might know a little about this movie.

I have the Sing A Long video "Zip A Dee Do Dah" and it is facinating. Now, I am planning on buying this DVD soon. And I will enjoy it.

That was my first exposure to it as well! I loved it as a kid and for a long time my mother tried to find it, puzzled as to why not a single video store had a VHS copy of it.

When you get it, please be sure to tell me what you think of it!

Back