• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sonic Colors & Sonic the Hedgehog 4

A Pixy

Cruel?
Years
  • Sonic_Colors_Logo.jpg
    764_sonic_the_hedgehog_4-prev.png

So, is anyone looking forward to these games? Anyone waiting to see Sonic Unleashed's Daytime levels to become its own game and ready to see a company slowly slipping pretending to be another company back when they were in their prime.

Yes, I do have some complaints with these games, but, overall, the look fun. Two Dimps developed Sonic games, one a spiritual successor to Sonic Rush another a spiritual successor to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Not too shabby.

But, I must say, having to wait as long as I did for Sonic 4 has been a pain. And, I don't think Dimps can make a sequel to that game. It's a bit too different from the old games. Different can be good, but your proposing this as a true, 100%, nothing has changed, childhood relived game, but you can't propose it like that if there's little to no graphical, design or developer similarities. Dimps has made their spin on the Sonic formula fun, but I do prefer Sonic Team's older one. Oh, and the games are 15 dollars each. There's 4 episodes. 15 x 4 is 60. orz

As for Sonic Colors, having Unleashed's Daytime levels as it's own game sounds a bit shallow and might get repetitive, but still fun. I don't have that much to say about it.

DISCUSS.

Years
  • I think they'll finally be back on form here, Unleashed was so close but it was ruined by the night levels. Its a shame that Colors is only on Wii and DS though. :l

As for Sonic 4, I'm a bit worried that it is in episodes. As someone who wasn't part of the older generation I think I'll dislike it.

Kazuhiro

Extra GOOD
    Years
  • I'm mainly waiting on Sonic 4. Reason is because they finally made Sonic go back to his original roots (2D platformer) instead of adding some funky stuff like a magic sword or werewolf transformation. Even though I think the graphics for Sonic 4 could've been better and I don't like the way Sonic runs, I gotta say I'm way more hyped for that than Sonic Colors. The fact that it'll only be $15 helps too.

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • I'm mainly waiting on Sonic 4. Reason is because they finally made Sonic go back to his original roots (2D platformer) instead of adding some funky stuff like a magic sword or werewolf transformation.

You know, Dimps (the guys developing this) have been making handheld, 2D Sonic titles since 2001. They're pretty different from the classics, like someone trying to do a REALLY good imitation of someone else. It might be a near-perfect imitation, but there's no beating the original. o3o

Kazuhiro

Extra GOOD
    Years
  • Are you talking about Sonic Advance & Rush series?

Of course, they were really good but like you mentioned, they were a little too different from the first Sonic's. Some mechanics they included really made those games unique and their own series (ie: The Rush system, the Trick system, etc) which is good, but fails at replicating the old series.

Now, with Sonic 4, it seems like they are really trying to mimic the old Sonic's and bring their mascot back to his original roots like Capcom did with Megaman 9 and 10 and Street Fighter IV. Hopefully they won't fail at making a good game with this.

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • Now, with Sonic 4, it seems like they are really trying to mimic the old Sonic's and bring their mascot back to his original roots like Capcom did with Megaman 9 and 10 and Street Fighter IV. Hopefully they won't fail at making a good game with this.

Mega Man 9 was an authentic replica of the older Mega Man games. From graphics to gameplay and you could even turn on realistic NES flicker if you wanted to. All the Robot Masters were designed in the old sense and nothing was modernized or changed.

Sonic 4 is just milking the name. A lot of nostalgia comes from graphics and this game doesn't have that piece of nostalgia. And without that it's going against it's name of Sonic 4. People want 16-bit graphics, people want the old, chubby, beady-eyed Sonic, people want to not be looked at funny for calling the bad guy 'Robotnik' instead of 'Eggman'. This game doesn't look like an oldschool Sonic game and, since it's made by Dimps instead of Sonic Team in their prime, it won't play like one either.

Also, the homing attack is in the game. 'Nuff said.

Years
  • Well, I played through Sonic 4 and I really, really liked it. It was definitely a step in the right direction from the franchise.

I just pre-ordered Sonic Colors after reading how well-received it was by critics with advance copies. Oh, and the hat looks insanely cool. That's another reason I pre-ordered.

I'm really pumped up for Colors and I hope it adds to the great streak they've had with the franchise this year!

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Sonic 4's not too bad, except for that one guy with the impossible to beat time. But I really don't care about speed running games.

Speaking of Sonic, here's something on the lighter side of things. Remember Eddie Lebron, the one who created that Megaman fan film? Well, guess what his next project is, and guess who he got to voice the lead character.

http://screwattack.com/videos/Sonic-Fan-Film-Announcement

Yeah, I was just as floored when I found this out.

I would normally post this in a new topic, but it would be silly to have multiple Sonic topics around.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Mega Man 9 was an authentic replica of the older Mega Man games. From graphics to gameplay and you could even turn on realistic NES flicker if you wanted to. All the Robot Masters were designed in the old sense and nothing was modernized or changed.

Sonic 4 is just milking the name. A lot of nostalgia comes from graphics and this game doesn't have that piece of nostalgia. And without that it's going against it's name of Sonic 4. People want 16-bit graphics, people want the old, chubby, beady-eyed Sonic, people want to not be looked at funny for calling the bad guy 'Robotnik' instead of 'Eggman'. This game doesn't look like an oldschool Sonic game and, since it's made by Dimps instead of Sonic Team in their prime, it won't play like one either.

Also, the homing attack is in the game. 'Nuff said.

You can call Mister-Fat-Red-Guy-With-Robots whatever you want, because both names have been mixing and matching throughout the recent series, and more people need to figure out that nobody cares which one you call him (and those that do need to stop caring).

It's very unlikely they'll deviate from Sonic's modern design either, now that it's had time to change and mature over the years, becoming his recognised look. (and has been in use for longer at this point in time)

Last edited:

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
  • Yeah, his real name is still Dr. Ivo Robotnik..Eggman's just a nickname they made his name for the Japanese release (Sonic 1 came out in the US first).

Anyway, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was really good. Sonic Colors should be good too, even if it seems like they're kinda copying the concept from Mario Galaxy (which wasn't helped by an interview stating they want to bring in Mario fans).

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Even though I kind of hate where the Sonic franchise has gone, i'm going to give Colors a shot.

Main reasons being:
    -I like the planet layout
    -The game appears to run smoothly
    -The music is awesome

This video sold me on it basically:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Sonic Colors apparently shipped early. Full game intro. I want me some cute aliens. Sonic 4 was an appetizer; Colors is what I'm really craving for. Beautiful levels. :'D

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I have spent a good while watching a friend of mine play it via a live feed - I have to say it does look quite good. Levels are fast-paced and fairly varied, and it did not appear to be too easy either in places. Stages are also rather colourful, and the underwater stages looked neat too for the most part. Music is good too - maybe not quite SA2:B levels for me thus far but pretty good. Bosses were not too hard for my friend once he (quickly) figured out how to beat them thus far though, and having heard Sonic talk I am not too impressed (it is not the voice as much as the way sonic is protrayed - I AM THE HERO I WILL BEAT YOU ALL UP SMARTARSE COMMENT/LAME JOKE HERE also sideways mouth looks a touch odd, heh), Tails is an improvement though even if he does little and Eggman's comments during stages were good and also often amusing too.

Overall it does seem quite promising - a good/great 3D Sonic game overall from what I have seen thus far, egads.

Back