• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sonic Discussion

Years
  • Sonic is just treading behind Mario, Mega Man, Street Fighter, and Castlevania. NSMBWii and Street Fighter 4 bring fresh concepts to otherwise, a classic title, while Mega Man had a retro fueled romp that hit the Download Marketplaces a while ago. Castlevania got one too, only it hit WiiWare.

It's funny too. New Super Mario Bros. Wii was only really a taste to tide Mario hungry gamers until the new Mario Galaxy comes out. Meanwhile, Sega's "Sonic 4" was created to revive a dead franchise. While Mario's still innovating Modern Day Platformers, he's helping to appease the old school fans too. Meanwhile, all Sonic really has left is the Old School fans, and not even that with release after disappointing release. Sonic tried going narrative, and instead fell flat on Gameplay. See: Sonic 06.

Sonic 4 isn't going to make Sonic a household name again. It'll make a couple hundred sales, but it won't bring back Sonic the Hedgehog. Unless there's a huge Retail release coming...which I doubt.

XCHAMPX

Nazi 4 life!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2010
    sonic was one of the first games i ever played. i like it

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    OMG IM SOOO EXCITED!!!! I just saw the trailer!!!! Too bad its not on any handheld... i sold my wii and dont have an xbox or ps3...
    Am i the only one to notice this:
    Sonic Discussion

(Prays for DS release)

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • In other news...

STORY TIME KIDS!

[jq] Story thus far:

It began as Sonic's animal friends begin disappearing from South Island. Soon Sonic discovers that evil scientist Dr. Eggman has been kidnapping them and turning them into robots to collect the legendary treasure – The Chaos Emeralds. Sonic decides it's up to him to save them and embarks on a quest to free his animal friends. Sonic battles Eggman through many different zones. Sonic eventually pursues Eggman to Final Zone where the first in many epic battles between them begins. In the end Sonic is victorious and Eggman's Mecha fly's away badly damaged. Sonic returns to Green Hill Zone and re-unites with his friends.

Their reunion is short lived however, as Eggman resurfaces and begins kidnapping Sonic friends again, in an effort to create more workers to finish his ultimate Weapon – The Death Egg! Teaming up with the newly met, Miles 'Tails' Prower, Sonic embarks on a new mission through West Side Island in an effort to free his friends and ensure Eggman does not obtain the 7 Chaos emeralds to fuel the Death Egg.

Once the West Side Island is freed, Sonic and Tails eventually board the Tornado and assault the Death Egg itself. After destroying Mecha Sonic, Eggman flees and enters his new Eggman Robot attacking Sonic! After a heated battle Sonic destroys the Eggman Robot and the Death Egg begins to explode.

Sonic and Tails fly down and come across mysterious island called Angel Island. This island is floating by the power of the precious stone called Master Emerald, but now this mysterious island are dropping down to the ocean surface because the Death Egg had been falling on this island. Sonic and Tails are attacked by a Red Echidna named Knuckles the guardian of the island.

Knuckles steals the Chaos emeralds from Sonic, being tricked by Eggman that he is an enemy come to take the Master Emerald. While Sonic and Tails are entangled by Knuckles, Eggman repairs the Death Egg and preps it for launch.

Sonic manages to jump on Death Egg just as it's flying off. After confronting Eggman on the Death Egg, Sonic defeats Eggman once more and the Death Egg plummets back to Angel Island.

Back on the ground Dr. Eggman begins the repairing Death Egg again. Feeling Knuckles has served his purpose, he sends EggRobo to eliminate this potential threat. EggRobo finds Knuckles relaxing in Mushroom Zone and drops a bomb on him but Knuckles manages to survive. Enraged, the Wild Echidna sets off to defeat EggRobo. Meanwhile Sonic and Tails explore the island to find traces of the Death Egg and find out Eggman's fate. After and Epic showdown between Sonic and Knuckles, Eggman uses the opportunity to finally steal the Master Emerald and re-launches the Death Egg. With the power of the emeralds, Sonic goes after Eggman, who has taken the Master Emerald into space.

Sonic and Tails secure the Master Emerald and return it to Knuckles on Angel Island. With it's power restored, the Angel Island lifts off into the sky as Sonic and Tails fly off into the sunset.

But this humiliating defeat only serves to further Eggman's rage, and he has determined once and for all to rid himself of Sonic. Eggman revisits – and improves – the very best of his creations to defeat our spiked hero.

And so a new Adventure begins…[/jq]

Lawl, it picks up right after S&K but updates the names and designs but still manages to ignore every other game in the series. Let's just hope the Sonic fans won't become like the Zelda fans and start debating about continuity.

The Sonic Stadium is so convenient. n3n

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I reckon the game looks kinda crap there not even using sprites and what with all the dirt clouds!!! (DAMN YOU SEGA)

You're kidding right? So 2-D sprite are better than 3-D models? (and finely detailed ones at that) And what is wrong with the beautiful dirt clouds?

Lawl, it picks up right after S&K but updates the names and designs but still manages to ignore every other game in the series. Let's just hope the Sonic fans won't become like the Zelda fans and start debating about continuity.

The Sonic Stadium is so convenient. n3n

Sorry, but i can't resist.
    Methinks it is set between S&K and SA. It may even explain how Sonic learned the homing att- *realises SEGA wouldn't do something nice like that*.

This Name is Exactly 36 Letters Long said:
    Also, OMFG, YEAH, I WANT THOSE DAMN SHIELDS!

Fire Shield
    Lightning Shield
    Water Shield

AND MAYBE EVEN MOAR! 8D

Can't argue with that. :D

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
  • Hmmm... yes, this definitely seems like it will be reminiscent of the old Genesis titles. That is a very good thing.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • I've been playing Sonic 2(I still have the original Cart for it. But cant find my Sega Dx). So I had to get it on the wii. But so I've just wanted to beat it again. I cant wait till Sonic 4 tho :3

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 4 should be great, since its returning to the old style. I haven't thoroughly enjoyed a Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2's Sonic & Shadow stages. Hopefully Tails and Knuckles will become playable to perfectly continue the Sonic 3 & Knuckles, easily the best game in the series, feel I'm getting from this game.

Thank goodness people here don't seem to be as bad as the people on the official Sega forums, complaining about them using the Modern Sonic as if it ruins the entire game..although including Classic Sonic as a bonus character would be great for nostalgia.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Actually, I'm kinda excited for Sonic 4 as soon Sonic hackers rebuild Sonic 4 for the Genesis using Sonic's 1 source code so I can play it in it's 16-bit glory, sweeties. XD

TheRichar

Check my Thread :3
    Years
  • OMG!! i didn't even know there was goining to be a Sonic the Hedgehog 4, but SEGA isn't developing it!?! That's weird

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    You're kidding right? So 2-D sprite are better than 3-D models? (and finely detailed ones at that)

2D vs 3D, especially in games such as 2D platformers and fighters that don't make use of three dimensional movement is a very subjective thing, although to show disdain for the game just because it uses 3D character models is a little silly in my opinion.

Personally I like seeing fluid 2D animation being used,but I also know how much more expensive and time consuming that process is getting as people make games for the HD consoles. Sonic's model doesn't look half bad in this anyway, although seeing how fluid the animation in the Sonic Advance series makes me wonder what Dimps could do with 2D assets in HD,

Last edited:

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    The only sonic games that are worthy of any praise are the little-known Master System Titles and Sonic 1-3 for Genesis.

Everything after that sucked monkey balls.

I will have to wait and see if this game is worthy of anything. I'm not too happy that Shadow's in it, though D:

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    The only sonic games that are worthy of any praise are the little-known Master System Titles and Sonic 1-3 for Genesis.

I downloaded the Master System version of Sonic 1 on my Wii. It was not very good at all.

Sarcasticus

Pleasure's all yours
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2011
    I watched some leaked footage of this game, it's good that they're going back to a simpler style, but there are issues:
    -No improvement or innovation: yay, it's like playing the old sonic games again with better graphics, but.....it's JUST like playing the old sonic games again with better graphics...
    -Slow looking: the feeling of speed is gone, it moves about as fast as the levels in Brawl.
    -Strange physics: sonic seemed rather floaty contributing to the feeling of playing on the bloody moon.

So these are my first impressions, IMO, the fans who are aking for an old schooled sonic game will get what they want, but won't be satisfied anyway.

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • The only sonic games that are worthy of any praise are the little-known Master System Titles and Sonic 1-3 for Genesis.

/Strong Hint

Not too fond of Unleashed, but it doesn't outright suck.

I watched some leaked footage of this game, it's good that they're going back to a simpler style, but there are issues:
    -No improvement or innovation: yay, it's like playing the old sonic games again with better graphics, but.....it's JUST like playing the old sonic games again with better graphics...
    -Slow looking: the feeling of speed is gone, it moves about as fast as the levels in Brawl.
    -Strange physics: sonic seemed rather floaty contributing to the feeling of playing on the bloody moon.

So these are my first impressions, IMO, the fans who are asking for an old schooled sonic game will get what they want, but won't be satisfied anyway.

My rebuttal to this are:

-Mega Man 9 had the same thing, at least this is just one game in the series. Mega Man 10 is coming soon and Mega Man 11 is probably coming too.
    -Play Sonic 3 and see how fast Sonic goes, 'kay?
    -I'm assuming that's because it's still in its Alpha so, time will tell.

BTW, fanboys are never pleased, especially Sonic fanboys. >_>

Last edited:
    Back