• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sony PSP

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
Years
  • What do you think of the Sony PSP so far? Yes it will obviously compete with the Nintendo DS, but what are your thougts on it?

jj984jj

Elite Beat Fansubber
    Years
  • IMO, these are the pros can cons.
    Pros:
    -plays movies and music
    -great graphics
    Cons:
    -uses a uncommon format
    -low battery life(according to pspinsider SCEA recently announced that it'll be 2-3hours for movies and 4 hours for music :\ games will probably be somewhere inbetween)
    -cost(not just for the handheld, but the memory stick too)
    -doesn't play mp3s
    -Sony is known for making crappy hardware,(Yes, this means it breaks easily Sony fanboys) I'm on my 3rd PoS2
    Might be Pro?:
    - PSP to be able to connect to Computer/PS2/PS3(?)
    -Analog stick(I say might be pro becuse of the position and size of it)
    Might be Con?:
    -not enough good game titles announced yet(the only thing that interests me so far is "Ghost in the Shell" and "Ys VI" and a few maybe's if they are more then just ports since sony said there would be none)
    -"The mention of Outrage Games closing was put forth alongside word thatduring the year the company also downsized its Pacific Coast Power & Light studio (which is working on THQ?s PSP titles), and restructured its product development department." (Neowin)
    -uses Sony's "special" music format

Of course I said this is just MY opinion, no flaming please. Feel free to object, but no flaming.

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
  • What you said is true, about its specs. and features, but one thing I think that might be good is the future games for it. When PS and PS2 came out, nobody expected it to have such great games, so the PSP might later, you never know.

Also, the computer connectivity most likely have good data transferring, but just knowing that already equals high price tag.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Is it out yet?
    Well I might get one since it has an FF game on it but somewhere from $250-350 dollars is kind of high for a handheld game system. I still don't think it will be anywhere like Nintendo's handheld line. I mean even the SP no one though it would sell any since all it has is a light added to it and it was smaller then the GBA but it came back on everyone and became the most selling game system in the world. And next they are going to come out with the DS around the same time as the PSP. I just don't think Sony can stand up to Nintendo on handheld systems. Other then trying to stay up with Nintendo I think the PSP might be a good system.

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
  • Ya its seems that Nintendo pretty much has the handheld market in its hands, knowing the "tricks of the trade", but the PSP will at least put up somewhat of a challenge, mainly because of the games it will eventully have.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    The format I don?t see as a con really. o_o;
    I can?t imagine the battery life being so low for music playback, since most portable MP3 players get 10~15 don?t they?
    I really am not sure if I?ll get one. If a decent emulator for it is possible, maybe not?otherwise I suppose it?d be kinda nifty to play games like those on the go, as long as Square does work for it. I?d have fun with it plugged into an AC adapter under a warm blanket in the basement playing an FF or something. ^o^

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
    Years
  • I think the PSP's sleek design looks dead sexy. >.<

Other than that though, I'm not so sure I'd be willing to shell out the loads of money that I'm sure it will probably cost. Then again, as Kairi said, if square makes games for it...

Last edited:

jj984jj

Elite Beat Fansubber
    Years
  • Tendo said:
    I think the PSP's sleek design looks dead sexy. >.<

Other than that though, I'm not so sure I'd be willing to shell out the loads of money that I'm sure it will probably cost. Then again, as Kairi said, if square makes games on it...
    But that's the thing, Square is skeptical about making games for it, so they aren't yet. But they are making 3 games for the DS. :) But it's still early to tell who will be doing what.

Back