• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Soot

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • Has anyone actually spent time collecting soot on Route 113? I really want an elegant desk but not sure if I want to stick around and get 8,000 grams of that stuff.

Years
  • I was so annoyed at the changes to this, the fact you now collect a small number of grams of soot from the soot piles instead of walking through the grass like in the original games. I did manage to collect all the flutes but after that I never wanted to bother with it because it was so frustrating.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'm totally with Nichole there! The changes is so annoying and can be discouraging to collect the soot. I procrastinated a lot and eventually got myself an Elegant Desk and an Elegant Chair, then I told myself I'm not doing this anymore (at least not in the near future). {XD}

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • Well I spent time colleting soot because I wanted all the flutes! And I really wanted the desk, but when I saw how much soot I needed, I just stopped doing that!
    I was already bored colleting that to get the flutes!

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    What's sad is that I thought they got rid of this feature, turns out I didn't do as much exploring as I thought I did. Though from a bit of research, the numbers seem way to high and offputting, unfortunately but I guess that's expected for the larger items. I don't have any plans of doing it, maybe sometime in the future though.

Years
  • Has anyone actually spent time collecting soot on Route 113? I really want an elegant desk but not sure if I want to stick around and get 8,000 grams of that stuff.

I actually took the time... it's a pain. Getting soot, going into the building, repeat.

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • Never bothered, soot is a bit useless and tedious for my liking

Years
  • I collected like a crazy obsessed person in R/S/E but not so much in OR/AS for whatever reason. There were already soo many items to customize your secret base with and the soot items didn't really grab my attention. Maybe I'm not as patient and excited about everything as my younger self?? :(

Years
  • Looks like I'm very patient. Behold the swag :]

SfvGnWFl.jpg

Years
  • I spent up to hours collecting soot in the original games; through tons of running through grass and repels, I had all of the items made, from the flutes to the Pretty Desk. I personally liked this system better than the new one introduced in ORAS, where you're stuck with walking through piles to collect a small/large amount based on your luck. Seeing as my copy has not been picked up in months, I'll probably never get around to collecting all that soot for some decorations.

Years
  • I collected like a crazy obsessed person in R/S/E but not so much in OR/AS for whatever reason.

I wouldn't blame you. It was so much better when you picked up ash just as you ran through the grass but the fact the amount you get from these soot piles is so luck-dependant that you just want to give up easily.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • I actually collected soot from the piles in ORAS until I had just enough for some glass chairs and the desk :-) However, one my first playthrough I was kinda disappointed with the fast the soot are in 'piles' now, instead of running through the grass to gather everything... :x oh well at least you can still collect those fancy chairs and the desk with some patience ;)

iDrewjv

Music is my religion.
    Years
  • Haha, I don't blame you. I'm actually there right now but i don't think I'll be patient enough to collect enough for the desk AND a chair or two. Maybe when I'm bored I'll do some.

Years
  • I did start collecting at first, until I realised I wasn't that bothered by what you got for it so gave up. It is a neat little feature though and at least the route has that gorgeous music!

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • They changed it....i no like

I personally liked the old system but for some reason we don't do run through the grass and collect soot like normal anymore so i stopped when i realized it wasn't the same.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Yep, I got the Elegant Desk! I love the Elegant Desk + Chair, but I never got around to getting the chair before I reset my Alpha Sapphire game. I'll probably get them again soon to really polish my Secret Base.

A little trick for the soot: go into the soot collector's house, step out and get soot from the pile outside his door, then re-enter his house and repeat that. I got enough soot to get the Elegant Desk just by doing that for about a half hour, so just find something to watch on tv/Netflix and lather, rinse, repeat that.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Yep, I got the Elegant Desk! I love the Elegant Desk + Chair, but I never got around to getting the chair before I reset my Alpha Sapphire game. I'll probably get them again soon to really polish my Secret Base.

A little trick for the soot: go into the soot collector's house, step out and get soot from the pile outside his door, then re-enter his house and repeat that. I got enough soot to get the Elegant Desk just by doing that for about a half hour, so just find something to watch on tv/Netflix and lather, rinse, repeat that.

Ah, thanks for the tip! I will probably just do that; I'm already used to mindlessly playing my DS while I hatch eggs, so no problem u_u

Back