• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SOPA & ACTA

Should the SOPA Bill be passed?

• Total voters

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
  • Then why won't Hollywood just shut down the main Torrentz site itself instead? If they shut that down, wouldn't it lead to the at least some other, smaller sites dependent of Torrentz to being shut down as well? Or maybe ban the uTorrentz site (the one where you download the uTorrentz program from)? Without uTorrentz, you obviously wouldn't be able to download any torrents.

Well one, Torrentz is a .eu site. Two, their is no main torrent site. You can't just seize a server and kill everything. It's decentralized. There are a literial crapload of torrent trackers, some public, some private, some semi-private. And some of these private sites are so well hidden that their names aren't even known unless you are a member. Although the seize server and kill everything might take down that specific site, and if it has one, it's tracker most torrents are hosted on multiple trackers. But with DHT, trackers are slowly becoming obsolete.

And even if they were shut down their are about ~5 other good BT programs and another ~whoknows less good BT programs. They shut down that site, won't do anything. People will just switch to a new BT program.

Even better, their are addon's for browsers to give them BT functionality as well (I think) and some download managers support BT, or have addons that let them support BT.

BeliVuk

Pokemon Stadium 64 Player
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2012
    The U.S government is full of douchebags, including your saviours Obama and Ron Paul.

How can the U.S government arrest a guy in New Zealand and block international traffic to a website?!

BeliVuk

Pokemon Stadium 64 Player
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2012

Just when you thought you were safe, at least for a moment.

'Nuff said.​

God damn f....ing EUSSR.

Anyone know where I can get bombs big enough to blow up Rosenbad and the Vredespaleis?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • The U.S government is full of douchebags, including your saviours Obama and Ron Paul.

How can the U.S government arrest a guy in New Zealand and block international traffic to a website?!

He was arrested for copyright violations due to having a number of his sites servers on U.S territory. If he didn't have servers in the U.S then he couldn't have been touched by the U.S government. He was arrested in NZ due to extradition treaties we have with them.

He knew that they were after him. Had he removed the U.S servers then he couldn't have been touched. Had he moved to another country that doesn;t have a extradition treaty with us, he would have been safe.

******* move by the government yes, but still... He knew he had a target on his back and he didn't take actions to protect himself.

I don't know what let them shut down the entire network though.

I'll be the first to agree that some of the charges against him are complete **** though. Although, welcome to the U.S. Our law system is designed to bust you for a minor crime and charge you for 'insert X number' of crimes that you didn't even do.

Example. You have pot in your car? Possession of a controlled substance. Transport of a controlled substance. Possession with the intent to sell. Transport of a controlled substance across state lines.

I'm willing to bet that their are a number of other things you could get charged with for having pot in your car too.

Anyway, if you lost legitimate files from MU's closure, this might intrest you.

In most reports following the MegaUpload shutdown, the site is exclusively portrayed as a piracy haven.

However, hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of people used the site to share research data, work documents, personal video collections.

As of today, these people are still unsure whether they will ever get their personal belongings back.

In a response, Pirate Parties worldwide have started to make a list of all the people affected by the raids, and they are planning to file an official complaint against the US authorities.

"The widespread damage caused by the sudden closure of Megaupload is unjustified and completely disproportionate to the aim intended," they announce.

For this reason Pirates of Catalonia, in collaboration with Pirate Parties International and other Pirate Parties, have begun investigating these potential breaches of law and will facilitate submission of complaints against the US authorities in as many countries as possible, to ensure a positive and just result."

"This initiative is a starting point for legitimate internet users to help defend themselves from the legal abuses promoted by those wishing to aggressively lock away cultural materials for their own financial gain."

MegaUpload users who want to join in on the action can do so here.

Pirate Party ftw?

Due to the nature of their group, although a official party, I don't think this will do anything. Unless it gets some a lot of media attention of course.

Last edited:

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • So how come Kim Schmitz, the creator and owner of MegaUpload faces a 50-year imprisonment while Miguel Carano, who has been found guilty of rape and murder, was faced with only 20 years imprisonment? What a pathetic system for punishment.

Spoiler:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Did you research it? I've seen things like that (not that exact one) circulating lately and I'm hesitant to believe without sources.

First of all, 50 years is the max that person can serve if they get convicted for every single crime they're indicted for. Which is much more than copyright infringement, although that is one of the crimes. The others are racketeering (earning money through organized crime) and money laundering. The copyright infringement crime is a maximum of 5 years.

Second of all, Miguel Carano is a citizen of Spain. He raped and killed a woman in Spain. He was tried in Spain. He was convicted in Spain. His case was not in the least in our legal system, and therefore highly irrelevant.

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
  • i'm always against sopa/pipa and Acta all the way, the bill shouldn't have passed because its really unfair and it also breaking internet freedom of speech to users.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Did you research it? I've seen things like that (not that exact one) circulating lately and I'm hesitant to believe without sources.

If thats @ the MU complaint then yeah, I've did a bit of research into it.

The Pirate Party is a political group that does have representation in a number of foreign governments. Something like this is one of the things that they would do.

Anyway, as for ACTA,the EU has signed it.
    https://www.mofa.go.jp/policy/economy/i_property/acta1201.html

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • AND THEN there's ACTA.
    ACTA is built in the European Party, so there's a possibility of this eliminating Torrentz, isn't it? Given that Torrentz uses a .eu, fo course.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • You think taking down that one site will kill torrenting?

No. It won't. While it IS the #2 torrent site (According to TorrentFreak's top 10 list) , all it is is a meta-search site. It just a search engine for torrents. All it does is redirect a person to a site that has the searched for torrent. Killing it won't do anything except scare the smaller torrent sites or torrent search engines. Might cause a couple of them to shutdown, but small torrent sites popup at random and vanish at random too.

Edit - 999 posts. Great number.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    I'm not very good at researching for materials, so I will ask it here:
    Who pirates the most? The age range? Why do they pirate? Finally, would they have bought a copy, if they had no other means of obtaining one?
    Understanding a problem is the biggest step in solving it.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • It's hard to say which group pirates the most.

As for why, some beleive in try before you buy, or for movies, watch before you buy, or for music, listen to before you buy. Also, they might not have a good job to afford that stuff. (But really? Why don't they instead spend the time they play pirated games or watch pirated anime/tvshows/movies to instead find a better job, or get the requirements for a better job?)

And lastly, it depends on how much the person really wants the item. If it's a item that they really want, then they would buy a physical, or at least legal, copy of that item.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Merged the ACTA thread into this one just now. So yeah, since SOPA is dying down now, go ahead and use this to discuss ACTA as well.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    (But really? Why don't they instead spend the time they play pirated games or watch pirated anime/tvshows/movies to instead find a better job, or get the requirements for a better job?)

Spoken like someone who has never had to deal with trying to find a job in the recession.

But Cali, pirating is a very, very difficult area to study. How many pirates do you really think would tell a researcher they're a pirate, even if the researcher insists that they won't be reported to the police? How do you properly spread a survey like that around to get a representative sampling, considering that people use many different sites to pirate? And then the people that do answer still won't want to look 'bad', so they'll just give you the 'right' answers and not the ones that are honestly theirs.

Years
  • I wonder how many people would actually buy the files (music, video, etc) if they weren't able to download them pirated for free over the internet? My guess is, not more than 50%...

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Back