• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sorry, I don't play with CASUALS.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2020
    I feel this distinction between gamers is a bit stupid. I'd say I'm probably somewhere in the middle of casual and hardcore. Most "hardcore" games that I play I play to get all the achievements, not so I can say "Oh, I'm better than you, you n00b." because I absolutely hate those people, but because it gives me a sense of accomplishment. For example, Mass Effect 2 I slowly getting towards all the achievements, but games like Gears of War 3 or Halo Reach where there are achievements that you have to win however many matches online, it ain't gonna happen because almost everyone that plays online is incredibly good, and when you're constantly dying, it kills the game. Other games I play, I play them because they're fun for me like Rockband or Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Sometimes I just play games because I know I'll do something that will make me laugh, like SSBB, most of the time I play with max. CPU or players with 99 live each then set everyone to huge, super fast, low gravity and 300%, then I set it to the smallest stage and I pick the normally largest characters, and all the items are explosive, poke balls and smash balls. So I guess you could say I'm a casual gamer, but call me what you want, I play whats fun for me, not what people want me to play.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I hate hardcore gamers taking stuff way too seriously. Like honestly. Gaming, for me at least, is something I do to relax and have light fun with. Not something I want to give myself an aneurysm over. They can say what they want about not wanting to play with "casual" gamers like me, 'cause man I'm not interested in playing with them either! :laugh:

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    I Personally love Casual Game, I find them fun. But i can be a very hardcore gamer myself. I tend to bring out my Hardcore when i keep loosing, in a competition or even playing with friends. But most of the time, I'd rather just not care, and have fun.

Harebrained

Switch to decaf? Never!
    Years
    I'm a mixed bag myself. I play for the sport of competition that does not involve me physically being hit with projectiles, not for the record, the glory, etc. I'll strategize, I'll read up, I'll even trash talk a little - but I won't spend ages practicing and I'm not really aiming for anything.

I think a lot of the irritation between hardcore and casual gamers, at least in the titles I play (specifically, League of Legends, DotA, etc), comes from the two being mixed up in matches. Casuals who want to goof around get stuck with people who yell at them for just having their fun, and hardcore gamers who want to reach the top get stuck with people who drag their game down by not taking it seriously.

Otherwise, I think it's just people being pricks. Several of my friends are hardcore players, a couple of them actually current or former tournament players, and that "screw you, casuals" attitude generally doesn't extend to real-life or friendships.

TY

I'm a hardcore player, but i have some friends who play Casual games and i still play MW2 with them on my PS3, and we play also on their Wii. So it is a bit of personal interests.
    And nope you may not have my PSN even if you asked (i dare you to try it...)

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    I'm a casual gamer who plays kind of hardcore games? I don't get worked up about anything really. I just chill and play a little Assassin's Creed. What? I got caught? Oh well better find some hay to crouch in.

hahaha, I laugh at the humor in this post.
    This is kind of me, too. I love Pokemon and Zelda and Mario, but I also really enjoy Assassin's Creed, and Elder Scrolls games. I'll play just about anything as long as I enjoy it. I don't really get all outrageous and obsessed with the idea of pwning noobs and I don't spend 50+ hours a week playing my Xbox (because I have a job). It all just seems ridiculous to me.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    To me, casual vs hardcore is just a mindset. You're either casual or hardcore. There are no casual games or hardcore games. (Though there are games that tend to attract casual or hardcore gamers respectively. Though, that doesn't make them casual or hardcore, as it's quite possible to be hardcore whilst playing them.)

I'm generally considered to be of the hardcore mindset. As a rule of thumb, I will tolerate casuals up until the point where our mindsets conflict like water and oil. For instance, let's take Super Smash Bros Brawl. I'll play with items on on any stage people want... assuming that the person isn't good enough to use these things to beat me. At the point where I start frequently losing due to casual rules, I get annoyed.

Is that self-centered? Perhaps. Is it as self-centered as outright refusing to try and compromise in the first place? ...No. The hardcore rules exist for /the very reason/ that the casual rules tend to drive hardcore players crazy when they lose because of them.

I'm all for a good challenge, and one of my crippling weaknesses in Brawl is that I will actually start holding back just to challenge myself against weaker foes. However, at the end of the day when someone final smashes every one of my lives away whilst constantly running away until a new smash ball appears I'm going to get angry. Everytime I get destroyed by pokeballs and assist trophies where my opponent just happens to get really good ones, I get mad. Why? That's not a challenge, that's not me screwing up. That's the lame casual rules slapping me in the face for compromising.

So when it happens? I start pushing for the hardcore rules, the ones where I can at least feel that when I lose I lose fairly, even if I don't like it. That's where I draw the line.

Back