• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sorting Collections of Pokemon TCG

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2015
    I apologize in advance if this is the wrong area to post - I've been searching for the last 20 minutes but feel this is the appropriate place.

Just wondering what everyone's opinion/personal preference is on how they sort/display their collections of Pokemon cards? I have mine in 3" 3 ring binders in plastic sheets. I've always sorted them by each Pokemon's number (so start with Bulbasaur, etc) but it's been a huge hassle when I get more and have to move so many Pokemon down to make room. I'm beginning to think it'd be easier and more convenient to sort by set - that way I can also see which ones I need more easily.

What's your thoughts/suggestions?
    What about energy and trainer cards? How many should I keep?

How do you sort/collect/display your cards?
    What do you do with your doubles?

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
    Back when I collected Pokemon cards I kept them in a 3 three ring binder had them organized in this order: Pokemon, energy, trainer. As for doubles and sets, I placed the doubles and later sets on top of older sets. As for how I organized the energy, I had them in alphabetical order. The same was true for the trainers.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I started collecting cards again in Aug 2013, andthe first thing I did was put the sets I collected at the time(Plasma Freeze, Boundaries Crossed, Plasma Blast and Plasma Storm) into a three ring binder. Well I ended up tripping over it, bending the front cover in half and most of the cards in the front had indents on them from the rings. Also the cards risked falling out of the binder.

So now I use Pro Platinum Binders, they are zip up binders and are so much easier to move. You just have to grab the edge and lift it up. I keep up to 4 sets in a binder.
    https://www.mead.com/images/88006_L_1.png
    I found them at Walmart, I keep Plasma Freeze, Boundaries Crossed, Plasma Blast and Plasma Storm in the Blue, XY, Furious Fists, Flashfire and Phantom Forces in the Red and Dragons Exalted in the Gray. I hope to find more colors of these.

For some sets I keep my duplicate non holo cards(Excluding reverses) in Jammers 1100 boxes, all duplicate holos in a regular three ring binder. All of my ex's/full arts and secret rares or level x's are in toploaders so they don't warp, I have like 171 now I think so I have three piles of about 58 each. But the toploaders are dust magnets. I like to keep up to 16 of any non holo card in the boxes and keep track of how many I have in a binder. It also helps me know which cards I only have reverses for and which cards I only have regulars for. Some sets like Dragons Exalted I just put the duplicates back in their sleeves.

Last edited:
    Years
    I use a combination of 3 ring binders and longboxes, personally. I sort the binders by set and by collector's number within the set, leaving gaps for cards I don't have. The longboxes are for cards I haven't sorted yet, and those are of varying lengths. Longboxes are better for space, but 3 ring binders are easier to keep in order with whichever method you use to sort them.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2015
    Sounds like it's probably best i re-organize my collection by set and set number. Makes the most sense as then it'll help to keep track of which ones I need.

And ya my 3" ring binders have a zipper around them as I don't want to risk loosing any or dust getting into the binder!

Thanks everyone for your input!

Is there any sort of document or book that lists all the pokemon cards ever made, including the holographics, reverses, etc.? I kind of have something in Microsoft Excel but I know it's not all of them.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
    Years
    Sounds like it's probably best i re-organize my collection by set and set number. Makes the most sense as then it'll help to keep track of which ones I need.

And ya my 3" ring binders have a zipper around them as I don't want to risk loosing any or dust getting into the binder!

Thanks everyone for your input!

Is there any sort of document or book that lists all the pokemon cards ever made, including the holographics, reverses, etc.? I kind of have something in Microsoft Excel but I know it's not all of them.
    I don't think there is. The only things I can think of are Bulbapedia but that's not really for inventory or there is also the lists that come with Pokemon products that have set lists.

This is something I am planning on implementing into Pokemon TCG Assistant but it will not be any time soon.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    Since I started collecting back in the summer, i started with the XY sets in their folder that was released with the set. I have them all in their appropriate sets. For the promo cards, I keep in the Tins they came in set up on top of my cabinet. I keep my doubles from each set in the booster box.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2015
    Managing Card Collection

Hey does anyone have a good way to organize a card collection? I'm just looking for a new way to organize my collection.

Years
    I've tried a few different ways, I've organized them by type, then I organized them by generation and type, then I settled on organizing by sets, it's all about how you like your cards and what type of organization helps you find your card the quickest.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2015
    I've gone ahead and moved your post to a recent thread on the subject, where several methods for sorting were already mentioned above.

Personally, I sort mine by set, leaving blank spaces in card binders for cards I do not have yet.

Thank you for the help Donavannj I think I will give your method a try.

Back