• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sound FX Gripe

Shuko

Atena, WIN!
    Years
    I was in the shower this morning doing my regular pre-work routine, and I started to think about something (yes, although it is an extremely rare, earth-shaking event, it does happen from time to time... the thinking, I mean. Not the showering... I do that every day... 0_o; ) and the more I thought about it during the day, the more it irked me. So I'm gonna go ahead and post a thread about it and see if anyone else has some input. Anyway, here's what I was thinking:

Why don't we have actual voice acted sound bytes for the Pokemon on our games? I know the capability is there. I mean, even Pokemon Yellow had Pikachu voiced by Kikuko Inoue, or whatever her name is, and that was for the regular ol' GameBoy. So why not have it on the Advanced games?

Now I'll admit, hearing some of the voices for the Pokemon you hear from the anime could get kind of retarded after a while, but come on! Am I the only one who thinks the little mechanical buzzes and chirps are like an underbudgeted add-on? Would it be that hard to put the more anime-ish soundfiles in there instead? I have a theory on that, btw. I think it may be because the game cartridges didn't have enough memory to hold all the sound files. But since I'm not sure of any of these factors, I can't say for sure: how much memory a single GBA game can hold, how much memory the game part of Pokemon Ru/Sa/Em required (not including the Pokemon's sound files), and how much memory the more advanced sound files would require. Maybe some of you ROM builders out there could fill us in on that?

As far as the DS is concerned, they'll have no excuse in my opinion. 64 megs is way more than enough to store all those sound files. I hope that Diamond and Pearl have that kind of technology built into them.

So how 'bout the rest of you? Feel as gypped(sp?) as I do? Do you think they should have done all the stuff I mentioned up there, or do you think that would've been a stupid idea, considering the fact that even a simple "Pika`chuu!!" could drive you bonkers after hearing it over and over and over again in the Safari Zone :P? Post your opinions here!

Squeegee Beckenheim

SB - The Hunk (Since 2005)
    Years
    I agree! We are in the age of good technology and we do not have Pokemon that say their names or have a custom growl. I think that we really need that. I hope that in the new game the GameFreaks provide us with it.

Great idea! We need more good ideas like that to make the games the best they can be! It is our responsiblity as Pokemon Trainers that we voice our opinions to make the upcoming games better!

Wow I think I got a little excited, sorry!

Setsuna Moto

Kienzan!
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Ohio
    • Seen Nov 25, 2005
    I agree. My old Pokemon games are getting annoying so I turn down the sound. Why is it that in Yellow, only Pikachu has a normal voice? I don't have a DS, but I know that regular Game Boy Color could have done it.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    But I think anime voices all the time will bug me...
    Can't they make the Pokemon sounds more... animal-like? Tauros actually mooing.

Back