• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sounding Off: The Hunger Games

Honest

Hi!
Years
  • If I recall correctly, the first time I ever heard of "The Hunger Games" was at the end of either the 2011 Oscars or Golden Globes, where they showed a trailer of Katniss Everdeen volunteering as tribute and announced that the movie would be released soon. Ever since that day, there was a Games frenzy that spread faster than wildfire get it? Read the book or watch the movie if you don't. Everyone I knew and their mother, along with many people I didn't know and their mothers were reading the book that the movie would be based off. I actually recall a women who was carrying all three books of the series (The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay) as she feverishly read through the entire series on the train.

Personally, before the trailer, I never heard nor seen anything related to the series. I decided to give the books a read, and finished the whole series within the day the movie was set to be released, March 23, 2012. I was supposed to watch the movie the day it came out with a bunch of friends, but my mother had called and told me to head home. She needed help with a broken pipe that was never broken. Long story short, I never got to see the movie until about a week ago. Did the movie match up to the hype surrounding it?

First thing's first, if you haven't read the book, do that. It'll make my criticisms more understandable. The movie centers itself around the selfless Katniss Everdeen, played by Jennifer Lawrence (Winter's Bone, X-Men First Class, Silver Linings Playbook). The cast also consisted of Josh Hutcherson (Bridge to Terebithia, Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant, The Kids Are Alright), Liam Hemsworth (The Last Song), and Woody Harrelson (The Messenger, Zombieland) as Peeta Mellark, Gale Hawthorne, and Haymitch Abbernathy respectively.

The plot of the story is the same as the one in the book. The citizens of Panem is divided into 12 districts of sorts. Think of America and it's 50 states. The Capitol run Panem (like Washington DC runs America) and is responsible for the country's uptake. Due to a failed rebellion the districts started 74 years ago, The Capitol hold the annual Hunger Games. The best thing to compare this to would probably be gladiator battles in the Colleseum, albeit much more grusome and televised to the whole country. Two children are picked from each district and all of them are pitted against one another for glory and food for their district. To the victor the spoils. The way to win: kill off the competition. And this is where the movie starts.

The movie begins with Katniss and her sister Prim(who's capable of being picked for the first time) go to the reaping where the tributes are picked. By bad luck, Prim was selected, but Katniss

Back