• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sounding Off: Zero Dark Thirty

Honest

Hi!
Years
  • Well, me and my friend went to the movies yesterday, and checked out Zero Dark Thirty. For the uninitiated, Zero Dark Thirty is about the CIA operation that took down Usama Bin Laden, and many of the events portrayed in the movie are real or based of real people. They make references to many terrorist events from the past decade such as the Camp Chapman attack, the Islamabad Mariott Hotel bombing, and of course, 9/11. It really was an interesting movie and sheds some light onto what's been going on.

First thing first, Jessica Chastain was insanely awesome in this. Maya, who is based off an actual CIA agent who remiains anonymous, was really well acted in the film, displaying emotion and just selling everything every time. The hunt for Abu Ahmed, her confidence, her pain. The fact that she goes from amateur CIA operative post 9/11 to hardened veteran by the time of Bin Laden's death is shown well. Also, Chastain is really cute, for the record.

The plot of the movie wasn't that had to follow, although I can see why my friends got confused for a lot of it. The movie's long, timing at two and a half hours, and the middle dragged on a tiny bit. I can't go deeper without spoiling it, but lets just say the beginning does a good job of grabbing your attention in a somewhat shocking way (the beginning is a source of controversy, also, for those who are into that sorta stuff). The ending is somewhat obvious, but really well acted out and executed. It makes you feel as if you were there.

The only problem I have with the movie is that they never actually say "Zero Dark Thirty". And I didn't realize what it meant until my friend mentioned military time. Still, only a minor problem. A bigger problem was the jumps in time. The whole plot spanned a decade, from 2001 to 2011, so there were some big jumps in years in the movie. They seemed really abrupt, and such. Did it really hurt the movie? Not in the long run.

Overall, this was a sensation of a movie, without a doubt. I'm not going to rate it, since that's not what this is, but I'd certainly recommend it. Witness the greatest manhunt in all of mankind and the strategy that went behind it. It's only gonna cost you the price of admission, ya'll

That's me sounding off today. Comments and critiques about the movie or Ms Chastain are welcome!

Back