• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

South Texas People! Ah, look its Ike!

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
Years
  • Living in New York where tropical anythings are myths (Hanna was a fail and doesn't count), I can't say I have any experience dealing with hurricanes. So I'll just say luck be with you, and make sure you're prepared. Keep your valuables with you too.

I have to say I'm in the same situation. Up here in New York nothing weather related ever happens (except mass winter power outages when we get heavy snow, but heavy snow is just obnoxious rather than dangerous...)

My prayers go out to those in the area, let's hope the hurricane dies down a bit.

Missingno Baby

Moyasimon Addict
    Years
  • I live about 15 miles southwest of Houston, and I've been watching the news all day.

It doesn't matter what category this storm is, Galveston is going to get absolutely devastated. Some estimates put the wave heights at 30-35ft. Even if it's "only" a category 2, it'll still have catastrophic effects.

Apparently, in the area west of the Sea Wall, there was a bulletin released to people who were staying to "Please put some form of identification on you".

My family and I were in Hurricane Andrew in LA, but I don't remember it.

We're staying, but only because we're pretty far inland.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • They are closing all the gas stations now cuz of Ike because Texas has all the oil refineries ao im thinking either we're all gonna die...or we have to walk everywhere

Captain Blue

Blue the Justice
    Years
  • I live near brownsville. I was scared I'd have to go through another dolly aftermath, where I had to carry four trees, in pieces, out of our yard. Not to mention the entire week without power and the only source of light being a flood lamp because my father was too lazy to remove the plywood. Oh well, at least he's not hitting me.

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
  • Wow. All this negative talk about how Houston and Galveston are going to be destory.

Yeah. Houston is going to be hit. Houston is going to suffer flooding and such. We are ready for it. We did the best we can and really things happen. In the end Houston will rise and live will go back.

So here I am listening to the radio and ready to ruff up the storm. According to the radio 105 people have lost power in the Galveston area. I think I am going to live my life as normal as I can until the power goes out. Meh. We weren't told to evaculate but I would have maybe prefer to have but really I think that is more annoying then this hurricane itself. Still this thing is being annoying after all.

EDIT: Radio reported that Galveston has lost power and Ike is a Catogory Two. It may be a Catogory Three when it hit landfall. Still rain is hitting Galveston but no rain here (where I live) so far.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I'm almost sure it's going to hit Cat. 3 when its arms start reaching for Houston.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Wow that hurricane really destroy a lot of places around the Houston and Galveston area. But it doesn't look too bad. Not to me.(Okay, it is really bad! There are a lot of mess all over the place. And there are places that are flooded.)

I hope everyone that got left behind are alright. I think a person had to be saved because he got caught in the current. He was just watching, and then the waves got him. He is alright though. I think there a few people who are standing on the roof though...

See if they listen the evacuation message...they wouldn't be in this mess. But I know it can be expensive and tiring to evacuate...but your life is more important.

But someone in Corpus Christi didn't get out so lucky. He was watching the waves and got caught. He hit his head on the rocks. And the waves were carrying him. I think he is a goner. Even though the hurricane didn't hit us, we were still getting the high winds and high waves around the beaches. You have to be careful!

And the oil rigs that got affected. Well I am prepared of seeing high gas prices now. Back to $4 a gallon again. *sigh* Oh well.

This was a very big hurricane! I don't know why we didn't get anything from it last night...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    They are closing all the gas stations now cuz of Ike because Texas has all the oil refineries ao im thinking either we're all gonna die...or we have to walk everywhere

omi. *facepalm* Not really. Why would all the gas stations be closed if Texas was the one with all the oil refineries anyway? Your logic makes me wonder.

that hurricane should be in texas rigth now, i think everyone evacuated from there.... <lol>

"That hurricane" is leaving Texas right now. I think you should watch the news more if you think everyone evacuated from there or something, because that's certainly not the case..... <lol>?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
  • News says that Ike has weakened to a tropical storm after hitting Texas and four are dead. Sorry to hear about what's happening and what some had to go through. I've never been in a hurricane situation before so I would probably would just panic because I wouldn't know what to do. I mean, here in Southern CA, we just get earthquakes ... and heat advisories, dur hurrr.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • I haven't really been checking in much....I hope there wasn't too much damage. Anyone know what category it was when it hit?

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    It was a Cat 2 when it was hit. But it looked like it was a Cat 3. Because there is a debris everywhere. Trees and wood all over the place. Roofs have been torn out off buildings...it is a pretty bad over there. And some of residents don't have power at this point.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • It was a Cat 2 when it was hit. But it looked like it was a Cat 3. Because there is a debris everywhere. Trees and wood all over the place. Roofs have been torn out off buildings...it is a pretty bad over there. And some of residents don't have power at this point.

What do you mean some? There are 2.5 million people with out power tonight. It is the largest power outage in American history. (The Weather Channel)

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Whoa, are you serious?! Dang, I didn't think it was that many! Yeah I stopped watching The Weather Channel around 5pm, so I didn't get to hear that. That is terrible! I hope they will get the power back soon.

Years
  • Living in New York where tropical anythings are myths (Hanna was a fail and doesn't count), I can't say I have any experience dealing with hurricanes. So I'll just say luck be with you, and make sure you're prepared. Keep your valuables with you too.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but New York is definitely vulnerable to a hurricane strike. New York City for example, ranks number of three in terms of vulnerability behind Miami and New Orleans. Seventy years ago this month a Category Three hurricane nicknamed The Long Island Express slammed into Long Island and Southern New England.

Kime-Ko

Little Monster Trainer
    Years
  • Blah!
    Ike was terrible!
    Me and my family were so scaired!
    We got at least 2 twisters on our land.
    Our farm is messed up realy bed but weve had power since the day after it.
    It's because we have a farm with food so we were the first ones in our city back on.
    We have a lot of damage to our store but were fine!

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
  • Ike brought storms and high winds here. like winds from 40-50 mph...I live in Kentucky, we're not too used to that unless it's a tornado. XD
    But also, it messed business up and everything. it was pretty intense.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Wow! Oh yeah it was a tropical storm around the other parts of the US. Like Oklahoma, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, etc...they had high winds and the rain. I hope you guys didn't have any tornadoes...

Ike was a very big hurricane and storm. I am glad it is out of our hair. Now everyone can get back to their normal lives. But it might takes days or months for Houston and Galveston to get back what they used to be.

Back