• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Special Anime Discussion #20: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon

You've seen it now, what do you think?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2006
    Umm... is Pokemon gone forever now? I read an article saying CW or whatever is replacing Kids WB and they're going to discard Yugioh and Pokemon because the ratings are dwindling. They said by Fall, this new program will start. Is this the end? Everything seems so empty now. :(

_Manafi_

under the sea
    Years
    ahhhhhhhhh

i hated it so much the va's are whack misty ante bad but ash is (ahh runs away) god awful

may sounds like a man (runs away crying)

the show it self was bad bad bad did i say bad yet?

but this mite be my last pokemon show ever but maybe the reruns on cn

(crying) i will be in my tent /\\\\ (sobs)

Gokey Shuckle

Bisexual and Proud
    Years
    The special was interesting. I will not comment on the voices. It's good to see the narrator guy from the past come back. Max's voice sounded the same.

I just wonder if that one comment James made had any meaning.

"At least we're consistant." Hmmm....

Possible Goof: When Misty saw Mew right away, she recognized it. But how could she have recognized it when in the first movie, they don't remember anything that happened with Mew and Mewtwo? Oh well.

Skitty101

Crazed Advanceshipper!!
    Years
    cryztalwing said:
    i am glade that it was May who save Misty instead of Ash. That was the best part of the all Special....

I agree with you. I thought it was touching when May saved Misty.
    Now that I've seen it again online I guess the voices aren't that bad. But I still want the old voice actors back. Ash sounds like the boy in the Deoxys movie that was afraid of Pokemon.

BigCN401

[insert something here]
    Years
    *literally finish watching special episode* Hmm... where to start...

New Voice Actor/Actress: I don't mind new voice but I do mind when making a voice for a character that sound too old or too young (being general here). Thus said, PUSA should re-look into May and Brock. Funny how Max voice sound like the original dubbed at one point then another differently. Score 7/10.

Story: It's okay. Just remind me of the first movie all over again. Score 7/10.

Production (aka artwork and music): At first (I might had missed the news previously), I thought PUSA was doing all the artwork and music for the anime but going by the credits at the end of the show it wasn't. So it's same as usual. As for music, most of all the score was reuse from the movies...and I VERY LIKE IT. Also I'm GLAD that PUSA didn't put in their own music like how 4Kids does. That's the TOP number 1 thing I hate about 4Kids. Second on the list is that they fill in their crappy music at "slient" part of an anime where there's no music playing originally. If PUSA does this for season 9 I'll be happy as a clam. NOTE: I'm surprise the intro song was sung by a Japanese artist name Atsushi "TOYA" Tokuya. Do you think that's telling us we might get either the original intro song in Japanese, translated/dubbed in Japanese or rewirtten intro song for the American audience from Japan itself? Score 9/10

Overall: Nice special episode. Overall score 8/10.

*ends 2 cent*

Twilight Itachi X

Twilight X. The ultimate.
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Sep 17, 2008
    hmmm, not too bad. I'll watch it still. Pretty good special for a episode that has been made in America. The voices did need a little work, Brock, James, and Professor Oak for instance, the others seemed to have worked for me. I noticed music from the movies, and that's a plus on most parts for PUSA, unlike 4kids putting in their own crappy music in it. About the special episode, the story was pretty good about the Mirage Pokemon in all, I'm pretty amazed at how this was made. My overall score for the special is 8.9/10.

~Alakazam~

Psychic Eye
    Years
    Did anyone notice that the animation and character designs were very slightly different? That is likely because it was made in the USA. (Their heads were a slight bit rounder)

I'm not going to say anything about the VA's except that they all sucked and could never replace the old ones and that everyone who hasn't already sent in a letter about this should do so now or else...

Years
    King Shuckle said:
    Possible Goof: When Misty saw Mew right away, she recognized it. But how could she have recognized it when in the first movie, they don't remember anything that happened with Mew and Mewtwo? Oh well.

Well, she did see it again at the final scene of the movie and I think at this point Mew is rather getting mainstream or possibly reference to the third AG movie as Mew is more prominent there and for a possible reason as we've seen Ash to talk to Misty off camera and might have told her of it. But that's my theory.

I think that's more continuity goof or this special just ignores continuity than anything else, like the references to the other Legendaries (Mewtwo, Lugia, Celebi).

Last edited:
    Years
    When i watched the episode today , on pokebeach today, i was not impressed, i was disappointed, all the voices are horrible, except Misty.And what i got really annoyed about was they use of the word "awesome", they kept saying awesome alot, like misty saying: staryu you were so awesome. God that sounds really american(even though the its dubbed by american company, but still 4kids tv , it didn't sound as much american).When i heard Ash voice i was close to tears:'( ,, i was like Oh MY GOD what have they done, and to me he's new voice sounds emotionless, and sounds very annoying nothing like he's original voice. And May sounds too old , sounds like she's in her late 20s or 30s.Brock sounds alot like Butch and he seems to lost he's unique goofiness, Max's voice is alright, Jame's voice sounds awful and weried, and jessie just sounds plain weried too , meowth sounds near like he did at the beginning of series. this special sounds like a bad fandub or parody, the storyline was alright but the voices are HORIBBLE We need Veronica Taylor back, no we need all the old voice actors back. *sobs*
    p.s the opening song rap was horrible.

Last edited:

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    Well. I like the story a lot. I mean it was different from the rest of the movies/speacals. It was sci-fi which we haven't seen much in the pokemon anime in a long time. I mean the last one we saw that was sci-fi was Movie 7. Nice to get away from the hard core legendary stories like in Movie 8 and Movie 3.

Well the opening song was bad. Rap? This isn't One Piece so I wasn't happy with it. The last time we heard rap with pokemon was back in the Orange Islands. We are not in the Orange Islands anymore so please don't think people will like it now.

The acting was bad but I just it was expected because this is the first time that the new VAs had done this. I mean this part got me where Max fell and May said "No Max." That should be change to be something like a emotinal yell like in the one two weeks ago with the Mt. Moon one. Where May went "MMMMAAAAXXXXX!!!!!"

Then the animation was a bit dull and bad but that was expected because it was american made and not made in the Japan.

Animation acting was ok but Brock going gaga over Jenny with her being near by but that was American mistake. Brock needed to be cool and serious at that part.

It was nice to see Misty again and great to see her battle.

Oak was great!! His dragonite was great. I never thought he would have one. Notice that all powerful and respected trainers have a dragonite? Lance, Drake and now Oak?

I do more later but I give my rating.

8/10- It wasn't bad but it could be explained because of new VAs and it wasn't done by the regular people. I guessing the American people thought they knew what they were doing and didn't need the help of the regulars in Japan.

misty_moon

~Save the dub!
    Years
    Okay, I finally watched the episode. Overall, the plot was fine, but what made me dislike it was definitely the VAs. x.x

Here are my thoughts on them:

Ash-- Just plain horrible. He sounded... Ugh. Like a drunk... Something-or-other... He also sounded way girlier than Veronica Taylor's Ash voice.

May-- She would've sounded okay if her voice was softer.

Misty-- She was a pretty good match. She sounded exactly like the original in some parts, but it would've been better if the VA had pitched her voice a little higher.

Max-- The voice was all right, but I dunno, he didn't sound nerdy enough or something...

Brock-- Just ew. He was HORRIBLE. Sounded like some guy with some kind of vocal cord disease.

Jessie-- I think she was the best. The voice was almost spot on in my opinion.

James-- He sounded okay, sort of like Eric Stuart's James with a cold.

Meowth-- He did a pretty good job.

Prof. Oak-- He sounded all right.

Pikachu-- I couldn't really tell the difference at some parts.

Overall, I think the Team Rocket quartet was the best. Jessie was the best match in my opinion. The Misty, May, James, and Max VAs could probably pull the voices off with a little alterations. The Ash and Brock VAs just plain need to be replaced.

But also, a lot of the acting was terrible. I don't mean the voice imitation, I mean the plain acting. Ash was the worst.

I think I would've liked the episode if they had just kept the original voice talent.

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
    Years
    The voices are terrible. Ash's voice sounded like richie and way off from the orginal. May's voice sounded like a grandma, and Brock's voice was terrible... Misty's voice was near the orginal. Jame's voice was okay, but it got worse as the special went on. Oak's voice was terrible.

Overall, the new voice made the special really bad. My ears were bleeding after I watch the special. Don't mention the intro, it was horrible. The plot and the narrator were the only good stuff about the special.

Back