• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Specific Fears and Phobias

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Being a failure and never achieving anything in my life. Forgot about that one.

Years
    • Seen yesterday

I've thought of this and I'm only 20. For me it's less worrying about achievement and more that I won't find something fulfilling.

I went through a phase of volunteering in random places, the only thing that sort of knocked out this feeling was working with Special Olympics children.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm also kinda uncomfortable with heights. Living in the 7th floor for a couple years I've never cleaned my windows. What if I randomly fall out of it while its open? <_<
    Similar, though for me its never finding anything I like and want to pursue in life. Never wanting to be in other people's way kinda does that to you ^^"

Mine are mostly all pretty common, like fear of fire and heights, but I have an especially big phobia of flying. To the point where anxiety medicine doesn't help.

I also have developed a fear of revolving doors, since I keep imagining getting stuck and crushed between them. :x My heart rate will always increase if I have to go through them and I always prefer using manual doors lol.

Years
    i hate heights with a passion, but that's kind of a boring fear.

elevators and escalators are my two other fears. i'm not outwardly terrified of them like i would be with heights, but deep down inside i agonise because the fear of being sucked into an escalator or crushed in an elevator is very real for me. ._.

Years
    I have a lot of the common fears I think, heights, bees/wasps, spiders to some extent. But the one that triggers panic attacks and really hinders me is probs agoraphobia, which I didn't realise was what it was called until recently since I assumed it was the fear of being outside, but it's actually a fear of situations where you can't escape easily or where finding help may be difficult which is something that I've struggled with for a while now.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I have a few: acrophobia, trypanophobia (used to), arachnophobia, and xenophobia.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I am absolutely terrified of the dark. I refuse to sleep with the light off. Won't watch or look at screens with the light off, either, and even keep the light on if it's dark out during the day. I just... I don't know. I guess I just hate being in the dark. I even cover my eyes when my dad turns the light off in the morning when I'm waking up. I'm weird.

NearAutomas

Acoustic Wonderbag
    Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2022
    Cockroaches. Anything else is fair game but if you bring a cockroach to a fight I might have to pay you my daily allowance.

I also have a fear of accidentally stepping on a scorpion fish whenever I have to go to the beach.

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2022
    What are some specific fears and phobias you carry? Almost everybody likely has something.

Subnautica released on PS4 for free the other day, and I was excited to play it. I'm mostly stoic towards horror related stuff, nothing seems to bother me and I never even get a thrill from it. Subnautica targets a specific phobia of mine, which is deep ocean water. I was excited to play it.

20 minutes later, I was thinking "nope, nope, nope, forget this". I had my button on the home button the entire time ready to exit the game. I still plan on playing again, but it'll probably have to be in short sessions.

Hope it's alright to quote you, I'm just really amused because that was my exact same reaction basically to trying to play Subnautica! (also after getting it free on PS4 xD) I hope you have been able to play it though, even with your fear. I ended up having to put on the no aggression cheat, which kind of helped, along with trying to hug places with walls or ground because my specific flavor of ocean fear is focused on big open water (and also being attacked by creatures, but that's more because I'm easily startled at the best of times ^^;; ) and the foreboding nothingness that could be hiding something terrible. Another thing that helped me was watching videos of a let's player I enjoy playing the game while I was also playing, he almost never gets scared so it was a lot more relaxing to see him go through tough areas and then doing it myself. Whining to my best friend about being scared also helped too. xD I managed to finish it though, and have been working through Below Zero as well!

But yeah, going off that ramble, I'm pretty terrified of being in the ocean in a space that's empty and open. It gets to me way worse than anything else pretty much, but despite that I have a really deep love for the ocean and the things in it too, so I love playing games set underwater even though they terrify me. It's been a life long conflict because I've always wanted to explore and study the actual ocean but I don't know how I would fair feeling as if I'm down there. Video games I'm usually fine unless it's a dark area or a big open one, I used to adore the Endless Ocean games but certain parts I could never play myself, I would have to beg my sister to play them for me because she's never afraid of games.

I also have a more mild fear of heights, that's sort of specific. Mainly that I get really scared standing in high places, but I enjoy things like roller coasters and planes and other big ride things, but being high up and looking down or being on a ladder is an issue. Which, extra sucks because I'm pretty tall, so even just going up a bit on a step ladder can give me issues. It was an problem when I decided to help people hang up their hanging sculptures in one of my art classes, I needed help getting back down. xD

I'm also not sure if it really counts as a fear? I think there's been debate about it, but I'm not sure. But I have trypophobia as well, the fear of holes clustered together. Stuff like honey combs or similar patterns of small openings make me super uncomfortable, makes me want to peel all my skin off and it's awful. xc

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hope it's alright to quote you, I'm just really amused because that was my exact same reaction basically to trying to play Subnautica! (also after getting it free on PS4 xD) I hope you have been able to play it though, even with your fear. I ended up having to put on the no aggression cheat, which kind of helped, along with trying to hug places with walls or ground because my specific flavor of ocean fear is focused on big open water (and also being attacked by creatures, but that's more because I'm easily startled at the best of times ^^;; ) and the foreboding nothingness that could be hiding something terrible. Another thing that helped me was watching videos of a let's player I enjoy playing the game while I was also playing, he almost never gets scared so it was a lot more relaxing to see him go through tough areas and then doing it myself. Whining to my best friend about being scared also helped too. xD I managed to finish it though, and have been working through Below Zero as well!

But yeah, going off that ramble, I'm pretty terrified of being in the ocean in a space that's empty and open. It gets to me way worse than anything else pretty much, but despite that I have a really deep love for the ocean and the things in it too, so I love playing games set underwater even though they terrify me. It's been a life long conflict because I've always wanted to explore and study the actual ocean but I don't know how I would fair feeling as if I'm down there. Video games I'm usually fine unless it's a dark area or a big open one, I used to adore the Endless Ocean games but certain parts I could never play myself, I would have to beg my sister to play them for me because she's never afraid of games.

I also have a more mild fear of heights, that's sort of specific. Mainly that I get really scared standing in high places, but I enjoy things like roller coasters and planes and other big ride things, but being high up and looking down or being on a ladder is an issue. Which, extra sucks because I'm pretty tall, so even just going up a bit on a step ladder can give me issues. It was an problem when I decided to help people hang up their hanging sculptures in one of my art classes, I needed help getting back down. xD

I'm also not sure if it really counts as a fear? I think there's been debate about it, but I'm not sure. But I have trypophobia as well, the fear of holes clustered together. Stuff like honey combs or similar patterns of small openings make me super uncomfortable, makes me want to peel all my skin off and it's awful. xc

It's okay to quote, I don't mind at all.

Honestly, no I never finished it. I'm pretty sure I uninstalled the whole thing. It's strange because I'll play something like Until Dawn or maybe even Outlast alone in a dark room at the dead of night, but I just can't do Subnautica.

It's not only the open ocean, but the game provides no sort of map as far as I recall. Often I'm wondering "When does this thing end"? I progressed as far as the Mushroom Forest before quitting. I'm going to play again soon, next time with the intention of finishing.

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2022
    It's okay to quote, I don't mind at all.

Honestly, no I never finished it. I'm pretty sure I uninstalled the whole thing. It's strange because I'll play something like Until Dawn or maybe even Outlast alone in a dark room at the dead of night, but I just can't do Subnautica.

It's not only the open ocean, but the game provides no sort of map as far as I recall. Often I'm wondering "When does this thing end"? I progressed as far as the Mushroom Forest before quitting. I'm going to play again soon, next time with the intention of finishing.

I suppose it's just that Subnautica touches on something specific that bothers you, that those games don't? I have a lot of respect for that though, I'm not sure I could ever play Outlast myself, even in the day time, and especially not alone. And it isn't exactly the same, but I have had a similar experience with reading, where I can read horror or things with gore with minimal issues, but there was one story I read that got really under my skin and upset me in a way that things like that never really do.

Yes, it doesn't have an in-game map, which can be really disorienting and is probably one of the things I dislike the most of the whole game. I know it isn't quite the same, but I ended up finding an interactive map for the world online that I use when I played. It also tells you where a bunch of items and creature spawns are, though you can also turn those off if you want to. It's not a perfect solution but maybe it could help you as well?
    I do hope that when you play it again, you'll be able to finish it this time. ^^

Years
    One thing that scares me is certain ear piercings... I'm fine with piercings on the lobe and outer edge of the ear, but all the other kinds of piercings that go in the inner parts of the ear make me nervous to look at. Gauges especially scare me. I don't want to even imagine how they put them in and take them out. Is it painful to have the lobe stretched like that constantly? I'm shuddering just picturing a gaping hole in someone's lobe after taking it out.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    One thing that scares me is certain ear piercings... I'm fine with piercings on the lobe and outer edge of the ear, but all the other kinds of piercings that go in the inner parts of the ear make me nervous to look at. Gauges especially scare me. I don't want to even imagine how they put them in and take them out. Is it painful to have the lobe stretched like that constantly? I'm shuddering just picturing a gaping hole in someone's lobe after taking it out.
    Speaking from experience! My ears are stretched to 3/4ths of an inch.

It is not painful to stretch a piercing if you do it correctly. The weight of certain jewelry will naturally widen the hole over a long period of time, so ideally there's never a part of the process where the inside of your earlobe is wounded or exposed. However people often jump the gun and shove tapers in themselves like it's normal. It's not. And that's why you hear of "gauging horror stories" and blowouts.

Taking them in or out is the same as any other piercing, and I'd argue only gets easier with bigger sizes, haha. But you'll often find the tunnels/plugs themselves to be flared on one or both ends to make sure it stays in the ear. It is not at all painful to put in or remove jewelry.

And yeah, I can definitely understand feeling repulsed by the thought of a visible hole in someone's body - that sounds SUPER normal now that I've typed it out like that lol. And tbh earlobes can look really weird when they're empty and stretched far. They sorta lose structural integrity. That's why silicone flesh colored plugs exist, because sometimes you don't actually want to have giant holes in your head. But at no point should they be constantly painful.

Back