• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Speed your Cable internet by 20%

Years
    SpeedUp Your Connection By 20% (Cable Users Only)

For XP

1.Log on as "Administrator".
    2. Run - gpedit.msc
    3. Expand the "Local Computer Policy" branch.
    4. Then expand the "Administrative Templates" branch.
    5. Expand the "Network" branch.
    6. Highlight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left pane.
    7. In the right window pane double-click the "Limit Reservable Bandwidth" setting.
    8. On the settings tab check the "Enabled" item.
    9. Change "Bandwidth limit %" to read 0.
    10. Then go to your Network connections Start=>Control Panel>Network & Internet connections>Network Connections and right-click on your connection. Then under the General or the Networking tab, (where it lists your protocols) make sure QoS packet scheduler is enabled.

It may take effect immediately on some systems. To be sure, just re-boot.

Yay my first non-spam XD

aaaaaa

well probably because

1)You dont have XP
    2)You installed XP wrong
    or 3)... You need cable or adsl/dsl connection

Man, I wish you were still here to read this:
    You *idiot*
    Group Policy Editor exists in Win2k, and IIRC, WinNT4
    'Installing XP Wrong' would not result on GPedit just not existing
    You don't need broadband for Group Policy Editor.

My thoughts, for those who're curious, is Roby here is just another skript kiddie who grabs Howto's from Google, without the knowledge to understand them.
    And he's just proven my point here, so to speak, with his little choke up.
    Ah well, he's banned now.
    Woohoo!

Last edited:

aaaaaa

What's actually funny is that QoS actually slows down your connection anyway.
    Turning it off all together would have the same net effect.

aaaaaa

Oh yeah, unlimiting the QoS will speed things up.
    But so will turning it off in services :)

aaaaaa

I'm a little hazy on the *purpose* of the QoS Packet Scheduling service.
    I did quite a lot of my networking education of NT4 :P So sue me
    First of all, QoS stands for Quality of Service.
    Which begins to make it a little clearer as to what it does.
    But for the real meat of it, I turned to my trusty Textbook.
    Cisco Defines QoS as:
    Quality of Service (QoS) refers to the capability of a network to provide better service to selected network traffic over various technologies, including Frame Relay, Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM), Ethernet and 802.1 networks, SONET, and IP-routed networks that may use any or all of these underlying technologies. The primary goal of QoS is to provide priority including dedicated bandwidth, controlled jitter and latency (required by some real-time and interactive traffic), and improved loss characteristics. Also important is making sure that providing priority for one or more flows does not make other flows fail. QoS technologies provide the elemental building blocks that will be used for future business applications in campus, WAN, and service provider networks

What does this mean to you and I? Well, provided you're using Ethernet, and you have a single Internet Connection, it means that QoS is just a service taking up valueble resources on your PC. Stranger still, though unused for the most part, the QoS service has a nasty habbit of reserving a certain percentage of your bandwidth for it's prioritisation needs.
    Turn it off, you get your bandwidth back.
    And unless you're running like..1000 PC's at home, it's quite healthy to do exactly that, turn it off.

end: (Sarah's Useless Fact)

Back