• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Spiky's DS Map Editor (NOW OPEN-SOURCE)

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2016
    Hi, i got a annoying problem with SDSME and i ask for help directly here :
    When i add a new house model in my Soul Silver rom with the tool, i save it, but in-game i see boxes instead of the hero's house and door model that i changed. I give a picture that explain what's my problem. As you can see, i added 1 object who worked, but the others not, and i don't know why.
    If someone know fixes or things can be helpfull, thanks for help !

Spoiler:

Bye :)
    Fragui420

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • Hi, i got a annoying problem with SDSME and i ask for help directly here :
    When i add a new house model in my Soul Silver rom with the tool, i save it, but in-game i see boxes instead of the hero's house and door model that i changed. I give a picture that explain what's my problem. As you can see, i added 1 object who worked, but the others not, and i don't know why.
    If someone know fixes or things can be helpfull, thanks for help !

Spoiler:

Bye :)
    Fragui420
    It's because the map needs to be edited to exactly that model value. But if you've already done that, then I assume that the structure changer was incomplete. Try to replace the model with a model that's already being used.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2016
    Okay i've tried with another wind turbine and it worked, but you can see that the flower pot model is working, i don't know why changing the house to an existing house model (313 for house model and 310 for door model) is doing that, there is a model ID limit by map ? I've seen that the not working models look similar to the "dmybox00" model, id 0. Any ideas ?
    Thanks for awnsering and thanks Platinum Lucario.

Fragui420

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2015
    Ah! Thank you very much! This will definitely help. The SDSME source code really needs to be hosted on some website like Github so that everyone can all work on it together and make huge improvements.

And it would also be nice to see it integrated with your toolbox as well, as well as making it run properly on other operating systems too. ^^

Oh!!! {XD} Very wonderful!! from me of the Linux Mint user!! By all means,
    I want you to make me the SDSME Linux version sometime!! {:3} He is God! Platinum Lucario、Spiky-Eared Pichu. :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2016
    I have it downloaded.. But I don't know how to load the file. I use DeSmuME... Help me!

Alucard_I

A Forest Of Thorns Shall Be My Grave
    Years
  • Is this still being worked on? It's been quite a long time, I want to know if this editor is being worked on and if I can be of any help

Platinum Lucario

Years
  • Is this still being worked on? It's been quite a long time, I want to know if this editor is being worked on and if I can be of any help

I think this project is over, since he hasn't replied and I don't think he ever will respond to me. Unless SDSME becomes open-source... there's no hope of it continuing.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2019
    Dear fellow Nintendo DS Pokémon hackers and enthusiasts,

First of all, my most sincere apologies for disappearing for too much time (over a year already). Hiding from the world is probably the kind of thing a traitor or a coward would do. My life has changed quite radically these past two years because of university (I am now 20 years old and I was 16 when I began working on the first tool for Nintendo DS games) and now I do not have as much time to spend on this as I had then, but that does not serve as an excuse for not showing up in the online world. I do hope, however, that there is some room for understanding in your hearts.

Secondly, let me tell you about the current status of SDSME 1.9.0, which was the next version due to be released with a couple of notable changes compared to older versions. 1.8.1 was more or less stable but there were many annoying bugs (specially one regarding HeartGold and SoulSilver headers) that made a newer version necessary. I managed to fix some of them, but others have yet to be fixed. In order to get rid of them, around the beginning of 2014 I planned to rewrite SDSME from scratch using Mono instead of .NET Framework and GTK windows instead of Windows forms, which would have allowed multiplatform compatibility. Unfortunately, I found many issues during the rewriting process and this version never went further than some plans in my head and many testing windows.

And last but not least, I would like to announce that I am releasing the source code of SDSME. I know I was reticent to do this in the past, but at that time I was able to continue the development myself. Right now, I have little to no time to spend on SDSME, and unfortunately you will probably never see a newer version made by me. However, I think that making SDSME open source is the best thing for everyone. This tool is as powerful as my spirit was when I first began writing it, when the only limits SDSME had were those of my programming skills. Now the time has come for a new developer to continue working on the tool, expand the possibilities of Nintendo DS Pokémon hacking and attracting new people to this world that has taught me quite a lot of life lessons.

Thank you all for your support, now you are the protagonists of this new Pokémon adventure that I hope to reach the Pokémon League. You will find a link to a Github repository in the main post of the thread, below the usual downloads.

~Spiky Eared Pichu

Platinum Lucario

Years
  • Dear fellow Nintendo DS Pokémon hackers and enthusiasts,

First of all, my most sincere apologies for disappearing for too much time (over a year already). Hiding from the world is probably the kind of thing a traitor or a coward would do. My life has changed quite radically these past two years because of university (I am now 20 years old and I was 16 when I began working on the first tool for Nintendo DS games) and now I do not have as much time to spend on this as I had then, but that does not serve as an excuse for not showing up in the online world. I do hope, however, that there is some room for understanding in your hearts.

Secondly, let me tell you about the current status of SDSME 1.9.0, which was the next version due to be released with a couple of notable changes compared to older versions. 1.8.1 was more or less stable but there were many annoying bugs (specially one regarding HeartGold and SoulSilver headers) that made a newer version necessary. I managed to fix some of them, but others have yet to be fixed. In order to get rid of them, around the beginning of 2014 I planned to rewrite SDSME from scratch using Mono instead of .NET Framework and GTK windows instead of Windows forms, which would have allowed multiplatform compatibility. Unfortunately, I found many issues during the rewriting process and this version never went further than some plans in my head and many testing windows.

And last but not least, I would like to announce that I am releasing the source code of SDSME. I know I was reticent to do this in the past, but at that time I was able to continue the development myself. Right now, I have little to no time to spend on SDSME, and unfortunately you will probably never see a newer version made by me. However, I think that making SDSME open source is the best thing for everyone. This tool is as powerful as my spirit was when I first began writing it, when the only limits SDSME had were those of my programming skills. Now the time has come for a new developer to continue working on the tool, expand the possibilities of Nintendo DS Pokémon hacking and attracting new people to this world that has taught me quite a lot of life lessons.

Thank you all for your support, now you are the protagonists of this new Pokémon adventure that I hope to reach the Pokémon League. You will find a link to a Github repository in the main post of the thread, below the usual downloads.

~Spiky Eared Pichu

Thank you so much! I'm really happy to hear that SDSME now has a future and will live on. It will be very important for the future of Generation IV and V ROM Hacking. ^^

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • Thank you for releasing it.. At least now people can finally improve upon the current version.. or even writing their own program based on this.

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
    Years
  • Dear fellow Nintendo DS Pokémon hackers and enthusiasts,

~Spiky Eared Pichu
    Thank you Spiky. Now I haven't got to decompile, which is not kind... I will also start university this year, but in this summer I'll try to merge SDSME with my tools, which have always been open source.
    Well, I wish you good luck for the studies and I hope you'll have a good life ;)

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2019
    I have reuploaded the source because I forgot to upload the project files! If you have any question about the source code, feel free to ask! :)

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2019
    In terms of the features which do you think is the most stable and which is the most buggy?

I'd say the map editor is the most stable feature. It was the first hacking field I researched, and everything works quite well (except terrains, but that's a different thing).

The most buggy is definitely the scripts engine. Even if Gen IV scripts may work better in SDSME than they do in PPRE, Gen V scripts are a complete mess.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    How is this not bigger news lol.

Problem I'm having though is whenever I use the tool it seems to break my rom?

I've tried editing Wild Pokemon, Trainers, Text, etc. But when I then go to play the rom it just doesn't load, black screen?

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2019
    How is this not bigger news lol.

Problem I'm having though is whenever I use the tool it seems to break my rom?

I've tried editing Wild Pokemon, Trainers, Text, etc. But when I then go to play the rom it just doesn't load, black screen?

Are you editing HeartGold or SoulSilver? There is a bug in 1.8.1 that corrupts the arm9.bin file, thus breaking the game loading code. It is fixed in the source code.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2015
    Hello, is it possible to edit trainer's Pokémon for platinum with sdsme? the in built trainer editor works for DP but it won't work for platinum, and for sdsme it gives errors (I think about the missing trainer.narc file) ... I'd like to edit the gym leader's Pokémon for example.

Edit1: I think I found the problem, it is some kind of error in the source code, which I'm looking through. How do you apply changes in the source code back into the original program (sdsme)?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2016
    Great tool! However, I know next to nothing about NDS hacking, so please answer me this.

How do I begin editing a map for real? Can I edit and create maps the same way I do with AdvanceMap for Pokemon FireRed, or is it more limited or difficult somehow?

Back