• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spilled Soda??

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
  • Ok about a week and a half ago I spilled soda on my laptop, I wiped it immediately and turned it over to get any excess out and turned it off, well the next day some of my buttons were not working, well after a few days they started working again and still are, but now the problem is and not always, but when I hit some of the buttons, things pop up, like my control panel or my start menu and at times my (what do you call it) my typing line will go up to another line that I have typed. Ok, my question is, is this another symptom of the spilled soda??

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    The typing line I believe you refer to is called a "cursor"

It's... not actually easy to determine whether those symptoms are hardware related. It's probable, but that could also sound like a software thing.

Try... running an Ubuntu live disc (google it up), if the same thing happens, you can guarantee your computer's screwed...

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • I googled some things and one said that spilled, let me see how to put this, I googled "laptop buttons making things pop up" and one of the wiki answers was my FN button was stuck, but as this is not happening all the time, that couldn't be the problem??
    But I will google what was sgg!!

EDit is that that the ubuntu live disc download

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Go here: https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

It may be a large file for you, but once you're done, burn the ISO to a CD. This can usually be done with Window's burning wizard. But if that doesn't work out, look up Free ISO Maker.

I don't know if it'll be a sort of hard task for you, but once you have the CD ready, boot from it by changing the boot order when your laptop turns on.

And then you test run the live CD. I'm not saying to install it, but this is to run on another operating system to ensure it's nothing software related.

Or, you can just skip all the trouble and get a desktop, like soda drinkers should >__>

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • No it was diet, I can't have sugar!! But it seems to go in and out, it will do it for a bit and then quit and then do it again an hour later, it was doing those things about 30 minutes ago and now it's not??
    I'm still thinking it's symptoms of the soda, because I have had it over a month with no problems before until the soda spill??

Years
  • No it was diet, I can't have sugar!! But it seems to go in and out, it will do it for a bit and then quit and then do it again an hour later, it was doing those things about 30 minutes ago and now it's not??
    I'm still thinking it's symptoms of the soda, because I have had it over a month with no problems before until the soda spill??

Have you tried what AdvancedK47 suggested yet?

me2hack

Graphics Artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    My sister had this problem once, the keyboard started acting up, it went away after a long while, though. But letting a repair shop put it a new keyboard is recommended.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • I was figuring on that, as it works better and better the more I have it on and the more it heats up, it seems to only do those things when it is cold, when I 1st turn it on, I'm in a cold state, so it never goes above 55 degrees, but I'm using it now and don't have to C/P to make this post!! That was how I had to deal with the buttons not working before!! I had to have it on and wait it out.

My sister had this problem once, the keyboard started acting up, it went away after a long while, though. But letting a repair shop put it a new keyboard is recommended.

I can do that, no problem, but I think I will see if leaving it on and heat up will help instead of having it off and at 32 degree all the time!!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I was figuring on that, as it works better and better the more I have it on and the more it heats up, it seems to only do those things when it is cold, when I 1st turn it on, I'm in a cold state, so it never goes above 55 degrees, but I'm using it now and don't have to C/P to make this post!! That was how I had to deal with the buttons not working before!! I had to have it on and wait it out.

I can do that, no problem, but I think I will see if leaving it on and heat up will help instead of having it off and at 32 degree all the time!!
    Worst case scenario, you can try dousing the keyboard in pure methylated spirits (read: no water whatsoever), which you may need to get from a hardware store or chemist. This should dissolve anything (including water) that is residing in the keyboard.

Of course, you'd need to remove the keyboard to do this, so if you can't I suggest that you send it to a repair shop (not warranty, lol) and get them to replace the keyboard. It shouldn't cost more than $150, so get a quote first.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • Worst case scenario, you can try dousing the keyboard in pure methylated spirits (read: no water whatsoever), which you may need to get from a hardware store or chemist. This should dissolve anything (including water) that is residing in the keyboard.

Of course, you'd need to remove the keyboard to do this, so if you can't I suggest that you send it to a repair shop (not warranty, lol) and get them to replace the keyboard. It shouldn't cost more than $150, so get a quote first.

When this 1st happened, I googled and found a video where some one (on purpose) pour a glass of wine and a glass of OJ on his laptop and then washed it
    and after a good drying and putting it back together it worked fine??

Years
  • When this 1st happened, I googled and found a video where some one (on purpose) pour a glass of wine and a glass of OJ on his laptop and then washed it
    and after a good drying and putting it back together it worked fine??
    Yeah, I wouldn't try that. The extra benefit is that they got to it quickly. If you intend to clean the keyboard yourself, rather than replace it, do it quickly to avoid further corrosion.
    Team Fail said:
    Couldn't Isopropanol (Rubbing) Alcohol also work?
    Yes, I just couldn't remember the name at the time.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • It is now I know from the soda, now the only problem I am having is my cursor moving up occasionally, hopefully it will work it's way back to normal soon!!

Gero50

闇の下呂
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    It is now I know from the soda, now the only problem I am having is my cursor moving up occasionally, hopefully it will work it's way back to normal soon!!
    It is hard to say if it will or not. The sota had plenty of time to work its way into the spaces between the track pad and the motherboard most likely. However it is not hopeless. Even if it did you can always use a usb mouse or try to remove your keyboard and see what and how much sota got under there and form there you can determine if it is fixable. However this is a pretty long task depending on the person. I would also suggest taking it to a small computer store and have them look at it.

Years
  • It was less than a teaspoon that got in it, and I wiped it very quickly, so I'm thinking, well really hoping it will be ok!!

Fill a teaspoon with water and pour it onto a flat surface. That's how far a teaspoon of liquid will spread. It's also more than enough to do damage, sorry.

Back