• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spoiled By Newer Games

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    You ever go for long periods of time where you just can't pick up the older Pokemon games and play them for awhile? You feel so spoiled by the newer games and their new mechanics and convenience?

Like I absolutely adore 5th gen but no matter how much I pick up my DSi to play it, after an hour or less, I just have to turn it off and turn on my 3DS and start battling on Alpha Sapphire or replay X and Y.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I can attest to this when it comes to a directly previous game. When gen 5 came out I never got into replaying my HGSS, and when XY came out it was the same with BW2. I felt like the games had no personality and weren't worth playing again... Heck, I even debated selling them.

The kicker is I find that after a while they seem to accumulate a nostalgic value and become fun again. This just recently happened when I picked up my Black 2 after not touching the generation since Bank came out.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Eh... no, not really. Newer games might bring more features to the table, but it's not like that makes any of the older games less fun to play. I can play any game from Gen I to Gen V and not really feel that they're less fun because they lack features or newer graphics. It sorta helps I'm not all that fond of Gen VI in general, but I can still respect each game on its own terms as opposed to comparing them to something new. It's not like Gold and Silver got any less fun because HeartGold and SoulSilver came out, and to me the same thing applies to the rest of the series. It also helps that each gen has its own assortment of glitches, and that's a pretty big factor for me.

It's honestly sorta like saying older Final Fantasy titles are less fun to play than newer ones because they don't have as many features. Sure FFVI doesn't have some things that FFVII had but both games are still very good and still fun to play even if VI is just 2D and has a bit of a censorship problem.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I find it hard to go back and play older games in general. I started with Black, so the older pokemon games don't have the nostalgic value to me, and I can't play them because of it. I miss the mechanics and everything the new games introduce, but since I did start with Black, I can go back and play through those games several times. At least that has some nostalgic value.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    To be honest I've noticed this a lot recently. Back before Gen 5 I was able to casually play the old games from Gen 1 and 2 no problem, but after BW2 and XY I just haven't been able to play the older games. They just feel so... slow compared to the newer games. With the dynamic camera of the newer games, battles seem to go so much faster, and I just can't go back to the old games and play through those static sprite battles as easily anymore.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • A couple months ago I played through Pokemon Blue again for nostalgia reasons.

I have no trouble going back to any of the core series games since I've completed every single one to date. It's just fun for me to go back once in a while, use a different team, enjoy the old school BG music, and see if I actually happened to miss out on anything.

Then again, it's not just Pokemon games. I periodically play some games released in the early-mid '90s regardless of the publisher. I still remember how excited I was back then when the games first started getting popular. So when I go back to them now, I can sort of relive the moment.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    The plus side of playing older games is graphics; they provide a form of graphics that the newer titles don't have, and that gives us a different feel overall. Also, said before, there's nostalgia value, at least for those who have played the games once before.

pkmin3033

Nope...the older games are better, in my opinion. The 3D models the newer games use are ugly as hell and whilst things are a lot smoother and more convenient in later games, Kalos and Hoenn just aren't very captivating regions in my opinion, not when compared to the likes of Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh. I'm conveniently ignoring Unova here.

Platinum's story, HeartGold's sheer size and overwhelming nostalgia factor, the more vibrant and aesthetically pleasing graphics, the vastly superior soundtrack; compared to the rather paltry 3DS offerings, how could I get tired of that? Of course, if/when the fourth gen gets remade I'll probably change my tune, but right now the 3DS games don't offer enough of what I like to tear me away from the DS ones. I'd even play Emerald again over ORAS because it'd let me fight against both teams and there is the Battle Frontier as well. The 3DS titles are definitely lacking, in my opinion, so they in no way spoil the older games, or show how awfully they've aged.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I find the GBC games virtually unplayable now, probably because they've both had remakes with such advanced features. I still find myself playing games from Gen IV onwards, DPPT are my favourites of the series so I don't think I'll ever find those unplayable. 8)

Years
  • I agree to an extent. I say this because the only generation I feel this way about is Gen 1. I've been with Pokémon since the very beginning, but it's really hard to sit down and play Gen 1. Generally speaking, not much has changed except the features. Obviously the music has changed a lot, and the graphics, but the experience is the exact time for every Pokémon game I've played. I'm not saying that's a bad thing either! I really like that, honestly. It always feels like a Pokémon game, regardless of graphics or music.

As for every other generation? I have absolutely no trouble playing them. I really enjoy doing so occasionally. The only reason I do go back to them is for nostalgic reasons, which is weird because, like I said, Red and Blue were my first ever Pokémon games, so I'm really unsure as to why that's the case. ~_~

Back