• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spoiled Children [Discussion]

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    I just read this article on how parents nowadays are spoiling their children. And I'm wondering... what do you think is the limit for spoiling? And... do you consider yourself spoiled? Is giving a 16 year old a new car too much? Is giving a 6 year old an iPod too much?

Discuss.

*hides* o.o;

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    Ya...lets see...I don't got a new car, an IPod, or my own computer or a half decent cell phone...ya not spoiled. Spoilings gunna happen, all ya can hope is that when the person gets into the real world they don't fall on there face.

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    That's the problem with being spoiled. =/ Children who have it too easy will continue being dependent on their parent/guardian even after college.

Well, in my case... I come from a bellow average family. And I know how precious money is, and how hard my mom works. I don't beg for iPods, and I'm planning on earning my own car. I'm also a bargin digger. xD;

There seems to be a cycle with this... the parents who don't get alot tend to spoil their children, who when they grow up discover that their children need to be more independent, then their children spoil their own children.... o.x;

The horrible circle of life. <<;

Dark Sora

Banned
    Years
    A 6 year old an iPod? That's just insane. What 6 year old would listen to 20 gigs worth of music? XD the car thingy is a little too much, though. If it's an old used car, then it would be okay

Stevo-kun

Push to the limit, Give more!
    Years
    I think getting an iPod at 6 is too much, maybe a car at 18 but I don't really agree with spoiling them too much. Sure you can get them nice things but not too often.

Stevo-Kun

Wario Man

Fear me, losers!
    Years
    Here's my say:
    Parents can buy their children stuff as often as they like, but make sure that they behave properly before it gets out of hand. I've seen too many times where a kid demands something from their parents and they immediately go and get it, or else the kid raises hell. That is too much. But, if their kids were well behaved and actually proved that they want it, but aren't demanding it or throwing a tantrum or anything, then feel free to buy away. Just don't do it if you're low on funds.
    I feel i am spoiled, but I've never thrown a tantrum (at least, not a big one) except maybe 2 or 3 times, and when I did, I got WHUPPED. That's the problem with today's parents, it's not that they spoil their children too much, it's that they spoil their children and don't punish them when they misbehave. A kid could have every toy out on the market and still be able to respect the parents and do his/her chores and such.

Years
    An iPod at six years old? Hey, I know someone who has one and is six right now. If you ask me, that's beyond the line. If parents keep spoiling their kids, they kids won't learn anything from it and will only grow up selfish. I'm not too spoiled, but not too priviledged.

Cybex Mewtwo

Someone's angry. :/
    Years
    Geez...tack me on the spoiled list...even thoguh I don't act it...and all these parents getting stuff to young kids with a huge price tag is beyond me. I had to wait several years before getting an XBox, and these kids get something at the drop of a hat. Ridiculous.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    I guess I can consider myself pretty spoiled. My mom fixes all my meals for me and wakes me up on school mornings and one time we were in a video game store and she just bought me a DS. And when we're shopping, my mom lets me get all the Pokemon stuff I see and anything I want. But I'm trying to prevent myself from being too spoiled. *shudders* It's unhealthy.

DeathScape

Banned
    Years
    I don't think spoiling your child is bad. I got a guitar because I was good, not because I was spoiled. And getting a car is 16 is important because you can drive to school by yourself and it's good practice. Getting a 6 year old and iPod is okay depending on the child. But some 6 year olds just drop and break things.

Years
    Oh, oh... do you wanna hear about the seven year old in our block who got an iPod, cell phone, AND laptop? WTF? I can't even get an iPod! ><

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    I'm spoilt rotten, I'll admit it.
    ><
    I still can't operate a toaster, for starters.
    I don't know the difference betwen a broom and a dustpan-and-broom.
    etc.
    I don't do chores, I get most stuff I want.
    I know I'm spoilt. ._.;
    She makes my lunch, irons my uniform, makes my bed, etc.
    Well, it's a huge bed, I can't do it. o_O;

Black Lotus

AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!
    Years

I don't consider myself spoiled, though I have got through life a lot easier than my two older sisters. Yes, I have my "own" computer and my dad will buy me my own car when I turn 18 (Which is the legal age of getting the driver's license in Finland), but still I know that without working hard you can't get anything.

AnzRayquazaX

ooh..is me a banana?
    Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2005
    I know that I'm not spoiled. :D Well, I have a cell phone and an Xbox, which I begged my dad to get it. I actually reasoned with him :classic:.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    An iPod at any age is wrong o_o; That price, even with that much memory, is obscene. Rich people have them as status symbols. I don't even own an mp3 player...there's a price-gauging conspiracy or something ;_;

I'm not spoiled, because on top of not being able to afford things, I'm not allowed to have friends, basically. I can't wait until the end of next year...let's see them try and keep me at home =/

Zaikiro

The offgoining vet
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    Miyu-chan said:
    I just read this article on how parents nowadays are spoiling their children. And I'm wondering... what do you think is the limit for spoiling? And... do you consider yourself spoiled? Is giving a 16 year old a new car too much? Is giving a 6 year old an iPod too much?

Discuss.

*hides* o.o;
    I am not sure. A six year old getting a iPod is odd. But it could be for reasons, like depressison for example, music can bec used as theraphy. It is proved in a study.

A 16 year old getting a car. Too much.>>
    If's it's like a going away gift for college. Then that's not spoiled.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    The Queen of England has an iPod... o.o

But... yeah. In my opinion, a childs spoilt if his/her parents into getting them anything they want with or without the need of maipulation. Like Miyu said, if a child is spoilt, he/she will grow up spoilt, and will either lie in the gutter or be one of the few who was born into money or marries money. Those "lucky" ones wll raise spoilt children of their own who will follow a similar fate.

What? I took Psychology! XD

*~Ashley~*

♥ Matt
    Years
    A six year-old getting an iPod is definitely too much, I'd say... but then again, a lot of young kids have those, and cell phones, and otehr costly items like those. What use do kids of that age have with those things anyway? That's way too much money to be spent on someone that age...

I don't think 16 year-olds should even be allowed to have their own cars, honestly. I don't trust teenage drivers, and I am one. ><; I definitely don't think parents should buy their kids a car at 16... they should work and earn money to help pay for the car themselves. Everything in life isn't just going to be handed over to you... the earlier that's learned, the better.

My sister's friend, who is eleven, already has... I think my sister said at least ten cars. o_o; Geez... she won't even be able to get her permit for another five years...

I guess I am somewhat spoiled though... not nearly as much now as I was when I was younger. After having had a job of my own for eight months and actually seeing how easily money can get spent on nothingness, I don't like to ask my parents to buy me things anymore.

Back