• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spoiled Children [Discussion]

DeathScape

Banned
    Years
    *~Ashley~* said:
    A six year-old getting an iPod is definitely too much, I'd say... but then again, a lot of young kids have those, and cell phones, and otehr costly items like those. What use do kids of that age have with those things anyway? That's way too much money to be spent on someone that age...

I don't think 16 year-olds should even be allowed to have their own cars, honestly. I don't trust teenage drivers, and I am one. ><; I definitely don't think parents should buy their kids a car at 16... they should work and earn money to help pay for the car themselves. Everything in life isn't just going to be handed over to you... the earlier that's learned, the better.

My sister's friend, who is eleven, already has... I think my sister said at least ten cars. o_o; Geez... she won't even be able to get her permit for another five years...

I guess I am somewhat spoiled though... not nearly as much now as I was when I was younger. After having had a job of my own for eight months and actually seeing how easily money can get spent on nothingness, I don't like to ask my parents to buy me things anymore.
    \

I the iPod and car is not spoiled, but the cell phone. I don't a six year old will ever use it, who else has a cell phone his age, and he'll more than likely use his home phone.

White_Winter_Wolf

Sasuke's Female Reincarnation!
    Years
    yeah, I'm spoiled. I really don't act it, but i am. Yeah, I'm 12 and collage is already completly saved up and my mom is already looking for my car. I hate it, too. People always call me a brat even if i don't act like one.

Kogenta

Lost Realist
    Years
    :: shrug :: I am probably spoiled.

As to whether giving children technology is spoiling them . . . To me, it seems rather circumstantial. There are probably children of 6 who are more mature than people who are 20 and possibly more deserving. General statements can be difficult to make with such questions.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    Mr Cat Dog said:
    The Queen of England has an iPod... o.o

But... yeah. In my opinion, a childs spoilt if his/her parents into getting them anything they want with or without the need of maipulation. Like Miyu said, if a child is spoilt, he/she will grow up spoilt, and will either lie in the gutter or be one of the few who was born into money or marries money. Those "lucky" ones wll raise spoilt children of their own who will follow a similar fate.

What? I took Psychology! XD
    I'm not rich but I'm spoilt and I'm not gonna be in the gutter XDDDDDDDDD

hisana

Girl not-quite next door
    Years
    I'm quite rich but 00000.0001% can tell XD The only things I buy are at bargains, I always calculate how much money I can spend and when and where etc. I also have a tendancy to get killed (3 times almost dead and counting O_o;;) but that's just pure stupidity. Almost gave my friends a heart attack when I decided to make a will and two of them got half a million euros XD "She got hit on the head ;_;"

6-year-old + iPod = ........why, God, why?
    16-year-old + car = if it's shiny and new, the parents deserve to get run over by it >:D

The kids should get whatever they want, as long as they know how the money got there. Not the sugar-coated version >_>

Years
    Tch. Lol, I'm pretty spoiled I guess. Yeah, it's a good thing for tha kids an' a bad thing for tha parent, but who says it's a wrong thing ta do just because tha parent gets ta have trouble? XD
    Lol, my parents barely have any control over me, I'd rather die with food in my fridge than go an' make myself anything ta eat, I clean my room only once a month an' I never vacuum, I never do any chores, never go shoppin' I just sit in front of my comp all day an' I'm quite rude with adults too.
    ...and yup, life is good. XD

NiNGi

Banned
    Years
    Miyu-chan said:
    I just read this article on how parents nowadays are spoiling their children. And I'm wondering... what do you think is the limit for spoiling? And... do you consider yourself spoiled? Is giving a 16 year old a new car too much? Is giving a 6 year old an iPod too much?

Discuss.

*hides* o.o;
    I can't be bothered to read the other posts, but to answer your question, giving a car to a 16 years old is too much, same with the iPod...

Kids should be made live in t3h jungle for some time... then they might understand how many priviledges they have nowadays... >.>;

*goes back to hug his beloved car* XD

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    Miyu-chan said:
    I just read this article on how parents nowadays are spoiling their children. And I'm wondering... what do you think is the limit for spoiling? And... do you consider yourself spoiled? Is giving a 16 year old a new car too much? Is giving a 6 year old an iPod too much?

Discuss.

*hides* o.o;

I think that it's BAD for kids to be spoiled.

If a kid is spoiled for his whole childhood, then he will want more when he's older. It's happened in my family.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2009
    I'm spoiled... I admit it... my mom reserved every pokemon game for me, bought me anything I wanted... but after she passed away I became less spoiled... but once I started getting good grades again (Like all As, As and Bs type thing, not like the Ds and Fs I was once getting), I'm getting everything I want, got a $300 digital camera for my birthday, an iPod for not failing a marking period... got a $130 DVD (The Rocky Horror Picture Show, 25th edition) for nothing, and I'm getting a new $200 cell phone for being promoted to the 10th grade and because I'm very good with my cell bill.

I actually hate being this spoiled =/

Dignity

[~As I lay dying~]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2009
    ;_; im spoiled, but i dont want to be.. o_o~! i swear x3;

pirategirl92

Still loves season 1
    Years
    I think there should be a limit on spoiling. Like, If you give your child something nice, they should do more chores or something. The reason I got my I-pod was because I bought it myself. And the only reason I got my own computer was because my mom works alot on the family computer and I have to do my school work. And even then, they didn't buy it without me helping at all, I had to contribute 100$ to it. But people who just randomly give their children stuff will have bratty children who live off of their Daddy's plastic and won't learn how to live on their own.

(This is my view, so please don't critisize me for it)

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    You're right, pg92.
    Mmm, I got my digital camera just by asking, for instance.
    And I don't do chores.
    I'm a tad ashamed of being spoiled XD

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I'm... borderline, maybe? I do have it pretty easy, though I know people who have it much better and complain

I have to buy pretty much everything I desire, but my parents will pay for my art supplies which are probably the more expensive parts of my hobbies. (For example... an individual marker is $3. o_O I don't have the money to buy more than 3 at a time, but my parents don't mind.) With video games... I tend to get the large systems for Christmas and everything else I pay for. Same with manga, anime, DVDs, imports, etc. My parents did pay for my Kanji dictionary, though... meh.

With chores... to fuel my interests I do a few chores everyday, but honestly it's not all that much for the money I'm paid. ($40/month for allowance... and all I really do is the dishes and that's every second day because I'm lazy o_O) I also have this... paper route thing I do with my brother for another $40/month. I plan on getting a job soon, but I'm... not really sure how since my mom doesn't really want me to get one (she says she's indifferent as to whether I do or not, but she won't drive me and doesn't seem interested in helping me find one <_<).

As for limits on spoiling... I say it's okay for a parent to buy things for their children, but they can't go overboard. Maybe start out by giving an allowance and agreeing to pay the taxes on toys or items the child buys, and increasing that as the child moves onto more expensive hobbies and interests, but when the kid expects everything to be handed to them immediately, without question and without contribution from said child then it's become too much. They have to know the value of money at some point in their life and hopefully that will come before they have to fend for themselves later on. <_<;

Suz

Ta-daaa~!
    Years
    I don't think I am .__.
    heck, there's a TV allowance hocked up to this computer as we speak! xD
    or type... o-o or whatever x3
    but I belive I'm a good begger x3
    I half begged my mom to buy me emerald, she was going to by me a game boy game anyway, but I convinced her to get me a 34 dollor one insted of a 15 dollor one x3;
    buuut... it was 10% off xD

NiNGi

Banned
    Years
    Anna-chan said:
    I'm spoiled... I admit it... my mom reserved every pokemon game for me, bought me anything I wanted... but after she passed away I became less spoiled... but once I started getting good grades again (Like all As, As and Bs type thing, not like the Ds and Fs I was once getting), I'm getting everything I want, got a $300 digital camera for my birthday, an iPod for not failing a marking period... got a $130 DVD (The Rocky Horror Picture Show, 25th edition) for nothing, and I'm getting a new $200 cell phone for being promoted to the 10th grade and because I'm very good with my cell bill.

I actually hate being this spoiled =/
    Yo, sweety! How about we switch parents? XD

I wish I could get every p0rk3m0n game out..... -_-'

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    Miyu-chan said:

Discuss.

*hides* o.o;

Actually i rather call it pointless. Unless the 16 yr old has a liscense,he cant drive it. And 6 yr olds dont know how to operate i pods. yet.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I live off a never ending supply of gift money and gift cards. The only things I need are video games, and I get those as gifts, and if not then I have excess gift money and gift cards to buy what I want. Occassionally, I won't have any to buy what I want but those times seem to be right before Christmas or my birthday so my parents will buy it, but then I can't expect anything from them on the actual day (GCN which was a month before Christmas and AGB which was like four days before my birthday come to mind).

Anyway...I'm not spoiled. My parents don't buy everything for me. I just posses lots of gift cards and gift money. And...I don't ask for much. There are kids who carry like three MP3 players, phone and other gadgets all at one time. Or buy new things every yearr for the sake of having it. I just buy the games I want when I can. If I didn't have all these gift cards I wouldn't ask my parents to buy them. I'm happy with what I have, even if it's old.

I'd like my own real money though. I would have some by now if I finished up my swimming lessons during the school year, then I could be a swimming instructor right now. But I chose not to because I didn't want to be stressed out with that and school and I was hoping I could take the lessons in the summer, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. So, I HAVE TO do this next school year now. Wee~

I wouldn't want my parents to buy me car when I'm able to drive. The only thing I can see myself using a car for is driving to university and as good as that is, that seems like a waste of car. I'm also not looking forward to driving, I don't really care about it or have much of a desire to.

So, yeah. Not spoiled. Should have money by now, but I was stupid, but next year I will. Doesn't want a car. Lives off gift cards.

I like Erica's idea with the taxes thing. I think, anything educational parents should buy. Like there are toddlers with rooms full of useless toys, and then there are those with rooms full of educational toys. I think that an allowance should be given out at least 13. Once you're a teenager seems like a good time. There's nothign wrong with parents buying things for their children, but then there are those kids who have total control over their parents.

With chores...I don't do chores but I do help out. I don't get an allowance because we don't really understand the concept. Why should I get paid for keeping the house that I live in clean? It's like bribing, so I wouldn't except it anyway. I don't do the dishes or take out the trash or anything like that. My parents do those big things when I'm at school. I do make the bed, fold clothes, clear the table, set the tables, etc. The little chores, I occasionally vacuum too. But I don't think I should get paid for taking care of where I live.

Last edited:

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    As for the 16 year old w/ a car... My cousin (who is the same age as me) got a car some months ago. Even though its not new, but it's a used *good*, and kinda unpractical. My cousin (rumors around our family) is pretty spoiled. He has 6 grownups to spoil him, and he's the youngest in his family.

Anywho, I don't do much chores around the house... at least I do them. But I usually don't ask for anything. After reading this thread, I realized that... I should do my chores more. o.O;

I like Lighty's suggestion though... my mom never gave me an allowence, and that kinda halted my knowledge on how to spend sparingly. I think that after I got a job, then I knew how it is to earn money. I worked the whole school year for $400+, and thats the fee for our groceries, and not enough to pay one month of our rent. >>;

Back