• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Paint.net can't recolor easily, can't fuse good, it basically sucks for spriting.
    I'm sorry, what? Have you ever used it at all? You can recolour in a matter of seconds using the paint bucket and the shift key. And fusions are much easier with layers. Just sayin'.

Years
    Poketroid

Hello people of Pokecommunity, I'm new here but I'm not new to spriting.
    So I had this crazy idea when playing Pokemon to fuse Pokemon and Metroid, it's still an early WIP, but here's what I got:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

C+C? I'm still fairly new to the Pokemon style.

Years
    PokeHackers' thread should enjoy its new home here in the showcase/discussion thread.

Maybe it's not too clear, but since this is also a discussion thread it's fine to talk about pretty much anything related to pixel art (except making requests) including asking for technical help and talking about what programs you use.

Edit: Kenjitake's thread also merged.

Last edited:
    Years
    I and Lickeh lickeh decided to scratch a pre-evolution for lapras as with the theme of 5th gen. Some of the ideas we had were fairly interesting for what it would look like but after a bit of discussion and some work we came up with:

Spriters Showcase Thread

Please rate and critique.

And my contest entry was
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    For the fusions contest. Please rate too.

Last edited:
    Years
    Please comment and rate my first ever badge sprites:

Steel one:

Big Version:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Mini version:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Electric one:

Big version:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Mini Version:
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    The electric badge's black outline should probably be more in the shape of the lightning bolts - that is, less rounded at the edges. Your edges are all equally distant from the image and that tends to make it rounder the farther out you go (as in, if you kept going it would eventually look like a circle). If I were doing it I would make the shine on it less gradual/blurry looking and make the contrast greater so that you can see more easily the smaller highlights next to the main stripe. I wouldn't have the highlight go directly through the middle either, on either, particularly the steel one since it already has a diagonal stripe.

Years
    kind of a fish/eel thing
    Spriters Showcase Thread

comments?

imo, you could make it much larger. so you could add in some shades,it looks quite flat right now. It'd also look nice if the lightning on the back was connected to the one beside it so:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

observe the lightning going across the red.

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
    Years
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Well I need some criticism on these. Since I'm the back spriter of Malachite I want these to be as good as they can get. The front sprites are not included in this since they were not made by me. Rather, they were just used as a reference. So please I need some ideas to make the better. (Yes I'm a perfectionist)

Years
    I was wondering if constructive critisism on pixel art shops is allowed?
    I'm all for constructive crit, but since they're not showcase threads some people might not be expecting it or be as appreciative of it as they would be if they'd made a showcase.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Well I need some criticism on these. Since I'm the back spriter of Malachite I want these to be as good as they can get. The front sprites are not included in this since they were not made by me. Rather, they were just used as a reference. So please I need some ideas to make the better. (Yes I'm a perfectionist)
    It helps if you can see one of the eyes on the backsprite so if you're planning to change these I'd think about how you might change the first fire one and the water one. That fire one's head also looks a little narrower than the frontsprite's, as do its ears. It also looks like you kept the outline black while the frontsprite has some brown outlines. Maybe you could make the tail more curved as well.

I think you did a pretty fine job on the grass one, but the shading on its back looks a little flat since it's mostly the lighter shade of green and you can see the entire yellow circle. I'd think that part of it would be out of sight on the half of the sprite you can't see. And it looks to be frowning in the backsprite instead of smiling.

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
    Years
    Alright I'll see what I can do. I completely agree with what you said about the first sprite although,
    Spriters Showcase Thread

for the second, you can see with the Jigglypuff sprite, who has a similar body style to the water type, the eyes are not present.

Also with all of the sprites I shade the outline to make the lighting more realistic although I can follow what you said and my them a bit lighter and not look like a solid black.

Years
    Spriters Showcase Thread

for the second, you can see with the Jigglypuff sprite, who has a similar body style to the water type, the eyes are not present.
    Good point. I think Jiggly has no eyes on its backsprite because it wouldn't look as good if it were turned sideways. You'd loose the distinctive silhouette of it and it would be too much of a ball without details. You're probably right about the water one having a similar design so ignore that particular suggestion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back