• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Not sure where Revamps fit so i'll post this here:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

^Revamp ^Original
    What do ya guys think?

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Revamps should go in the recolours and fusions thread, but anyway -

That's pretty good, but you could do with using less black on the bottom of it's muzzle, shading it in a fashion similar to the top of the head. It's ear should probably have been drawn larger in the first place - that sprite is slightly off-model - and the anti-aliasing should probably be two shades of red instead of red and black.

The shading on the tail should probably curve instead of being a straight line - aim to have the shading around the middle of where the dithering was. The shading on his back paw works on a 3rd Gen style, but less so on a 4th Gen attempt, and the outline on his frontmost paw could do with less black and more coloured outlining.

Overall it could probably do with bit less black lining, comparing it to the 4th and 5th Gen sprites.

Hurrito

Black pokemon!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    [Help] Custom Ash ketchum

Hey guys,

I am new to this community and new to editing sprites.

I am an african american male, who really got offended by the makers of pokemon. They never made a black person play the main role, so I decided to edit it myself and make a black person be the main character for once! I just don't know how to import it into the game, could someone please help me out?

Help a brother out? <3

Much love,

Darnel.

Years
    Spriters Showcase Thread

vs. sprite of myself. something about the wrist it ****ed up is messed up, but i can't figure out how to fix it. help would be great. thanks!
    I think it's the outline. On these VS sprites almost all of the outline is going to be black (or whatever the darkest, nearest color to black you're using is) and you're got some brown in there. Try making it all black for starters.

Also, on the right outline of the wrist/arm you start at the top with 2-pixel length outlines then move onto a diagonal one-pixel outline, and there's a little back-and-forth between these when you might get better results by doing one (2 pixels on the upper portion) and then switching to a 90 degree one-pixel outline for the rest of the arm below. Try something similar for the other side.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Nah, putting some colour and anti-aliasing in the outlines is fine on this style. It's mostly prominent in the slight style shift in the BW VS faces but it happens in the HGSS ones too. That sprite is a moderate edit of Pod's VS portrait so it naturally fits the style.

Last edited:
    Years
    So I've got my own VS sprite to throw out. Like everything I do I'll probably make changes to it later, but this is at a mostly complete stage and everything I might change is probably going to be details and smaller things (at least I hope so). I'm looking for tips or anything that might make this sprite better.

Spriters Showcase Thread

And while I was working on it I noticed I'd saved a lot of the steps I took to get to this tentatively finished stage so I figured I might as well share those. I've animated them because I could so the smaller changes are easier to see, but I added the individual frames, too.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Spoiler:

Nah, putting some colour and anti-aliasing in the outlines is fine on this style. It's mostly prominent in the slight style shift in the BW VS faces but it happens in the HGSS ones too. That sprite is a moderate edit of Pod's VS portrait so it naturally fits the style.
    Looking over the BW VS sprites I see what you mean. Just seems an odd place to have it when you could do without it.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    So I've got my own VS sprite to throw out. Like everything I do I'll probably make changes to it later, but this is at a mostly complete stage and everything I might change is probably going to be details and smaller things (at least I hope so). I'm looking for tips or anything that might make this sprite better.

Spriters Showcase Thread

And while I was working on it I noticed I'd saved a lot of the steps I took to get to this tentatively finished stage so I figured I might as well share those. I've animated them because I could so the smaller changes are easier to see, but I added the individual frames, too.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Spoiler:

Looking over the BW VS sprites I see what you mean. Just seems an odd place to have it when you could do without it.

.... :o
    Spriters Showcase Thread

how do you do that ? it's scary good :P

Rossay

Quack quack
    Years
    While we're on the subject of VS Sprites...

I could really use some pointers / advice on a few I have been working on.

Spriters Showcase Thread

I started with some bad pixel art, which ended up being too large and didnt fit the pokemon style. So I copypasted two faces from the HGSS VS Sprites and worked my sprites around them to look a bit better. However, I feel these are a bit too small and they don't have that proper "custom" feel.

@Scarf

I've seen a lot of your VS Sprites and I think they look amazing. It's really interesting for me to see the process you go through in sketching one up, I might try mimicing the process and see what if it yields better results. With regards to your latest sprite, I think the second last image is better than the final pose because with the flesh adds a bit of variety and also makes the pose more obvious.

EDIT
    After posting this, I decided to have another shot at fixing the heroine's sprite and came up with this (which I think looks better):
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Last edited:
    Years
    how do you do that ?
    Thanks. I just keep working at it, stopping for a while to get a fresh perspective, and then adding to and changing it until I get something I like. Now you know my secret.

While we're on the subject of VS Sprites...

I could really use some pointers / advice on a few I have been working on.

Spriters Showcase Thread

I started with some bad pixel art, which ended up being too large and didnt fit the pokemon style. So I copypasted two faces from the HGSS VS Sprites and worked my sprites around them to look a bit better. However, I feel these are a bit too small and they don't have that proper "custom" feel.

@Scarf

I've seen a lot of your VS Sprites and I think they look amazing. It's really interesting for me to see the process you go through in sketching one up, I might try mimicing the process and see what if it yields better results. With regards to your latest sprite, I think the second last image is better than the final pose because with the flesh adds a bit of variety and also makes the pose more obvious.

EDIT
    After posting this, I decided to have another shot at fixing the heroine's sprite and came up with this (which I think looks better):
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    You know, I thought the second-to-last frame looked pretty good, too, but I didn't want to finish with a nekkid sprite so I rushed something to cover it up.

Your updated sprite is definitely better. Before it was somewhat lacking in arms. Actually, I think if you pushed the sprite more to the right you'd have plenty of room to add another arm. I've noticed that without arms/hands these kind of sprites don't have the same feel to them. (That's one more flaw with the one I posted). It would help to balance your sprite, too, since it's crowding the left side of the canvas. I'm not sure I like how you changed the collar area. Before you could pretty easily see how the neck flowed behind the collar, but in this version it looks... I don't know... something like the two sides of the collar are attached in the front. At least that's how it looks to me.

And I rather think your blond sprite has a pretty good "custom" feel although I agree with you that it's a little small for the canvas.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
    Spriters Showcase Thread

The old ones were used for a platformer last summer, but that's not being worked on anymore, and I've always wanted to revamp this little guys, so I decided I'd go ahead and do it.

I'm not too proud of the pink one. The top of its head bothers me, but ah well.

Last edited:
    Years
    i've been working on a sprite for maybe 2-3 hours, but i cant get the shading right, can i get some help?
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    On the upper body since you made the shading in the stomach area follow the curved outline of the pants it gives it a kind of round belly look. It also looks like you've added a little shading to the right side of the pant legs on the top/right side which would make sense if you had a light source directly to the side, but if you want something that looks like it's coming from somewhere higher I think you might want to reconsider that bit.

The highlights on the pants seem a little too centered on each leg. It almost makes it look like the light source is coming from me directly and shining right back to me. So perhaps shifting them up or to the side would help.

In general though you might want to make the highlights and shadows more distinct. The pants highlights are a little close to the base yellow and the shadow on the grey is very difficult to see. Don't go overboard though. As a general suggestion I think if you have maybe around 1/3 of the area shaded you might get a better result. You don't want to use shading too sparingly, but you do with highlights. Generally. I only really do pokemon style sprites so I'm just extrapolating from that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2023
    here's some shipping sprites i've made for people as requests on my shop on bulbapedia

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

plus a few other ones i made that weren't requested by anyone
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Years
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Green, jello monsters just have to be pixel-overed.

It's pretty good, but a few things stick out to me as needing a little more work.

Spriters Showcase Thread

The one finger looks like it's been cut off. Even if it's supposed to be about that size it still doesn't look good to the finger, which is "in front" of the arm to share an outline. It would look a lot cleaner if it stuck out a little past the arm like the finger on the other arm does.

Your choice of when to use the black outline and when to use the green is a little haphazard. I would say that you shouldn't switch between the two except when the outline changes, such as when it curves.

And the eyes have this kind of crescent shape to them. The way you used darker shades of green on the two ends of the eye and not along the middle of the right side gives it that kind of look. If you wanted rounder eyes then you should go with darker green on the sides/top/bottom and lighter greens around the corners.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back