• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxa

ice pokemon pwn
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2011
    Spriters Showcase Thread

i had this idea a while ago, a teapot elephant, its the water starter in my fakedex!
    comments?

EDIT
    some edits to the elephant and an evo
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Last edited:

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
    Years
  • It's quite cute, though I can't really tell where it's looking. Personally, I would have made the trunk a tad thicker, but that's just me.

This is my water starter.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Ponchick.

Years
  • Final evo of my grass starter.

Spriters Showcase Thread

It looks pretty good when referring to the spriting. Though the design seems forced. The leaves and stuff just look like they were forced on a deer, not that they are naturallu on it.
    I think the leaves are fine, but the two front ones look like they're pushed up too close to the face. Like they're crowding it.

And those dark spots on the outline on the branches (?) look too dark to me. They stand out too much against such a light tan color. I think you need another shade between black and tan. Maybe one of those browns you have already.

Spriters Showcase Thread

i had this idea a while ago, a teapot elephant, its the water starter in my fakedex!
    comments?

EDIT
    some edits to the elephant and an evo
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    I like it. It's a great design and quite original. The little teapot's front right foot (the one right under its mouth) seems too far in, not far enough out. It looks unbalanced. If it were a real teapot I would worry that it's going to tip to the side.

On the larger one... what, no tail?

You've also got that zig-zag outline thing going on. When the outline shifts over a pixel rather than let the outline continue corner-to-corner you're bridging the space with an extra pixel in a tetris block way. This isn't always bad, but it's not always necessary either - especially over the entire sprite. I like that you're consistent with it at least, even though it's not a technique I particularly like or one that gets used much on official sprites.

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
    Years
  • I think the leaves are fine, but the two front ones look like they're pushed up too close to the face. Like they're crowding it.

It's head is supposed to look like its head is tucked in a little, that's why it looks close.

And those dark spots on the outline on the branches (?) look too dark to me. They stand out too much against such a light tan color. I think you need another shade between black and tan. Maybe one of those browns you have already.

Thanks, I think I'll try that. It was kind of bothering me.

maxxa

ice pokemon pwn
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2011
    i see what you mean it is a little big jaggy, ill see what i can do
    in the meantime i have the final evo, im incredibly unsure of it, it looks a bit similar, and the sprites a bit boring...
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • @maxxa: They're really good, and unique. The final evos head could do with some more shading. Like a little reflection on the top right.

The three main 3rd gen legendaries pixel-overs:
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

These are public-ish, pm me if you'd like to use one. What do you think?

maxxa

ice pokemon pwn
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2011
    theyre good, but could benefit from some darker outlines and black to make it look more 3D and stand out

heres my edits, deciding the head looked a little bland i gave it a little hat! it keeps with the indian theme whilst looking like a teapot lid!
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Years
  • theyre good, but could benefit from some darker outlines and black to make it look more 3D and stand out

heres my edits, deciding the head looked a little bland i gave it a little hat! it keeps with the indian theme whilst looking like a teapot lid!
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    The hat is a good addition. I like the angle on the third one. It's more active and interesting than a mostly from-the-side shot. The toes on the one foot that's mostly obscured make it look like the leg faces sideways. At least to me it does. I like that you have handle-like tails, but I'm pretty sure elephant tails are attached closer to the top than the bottom.

If you want to give it a little more pizazz you could try changing the colors slightly. I think seeing all three together gives you a sense that they're not that special even though there are pretty detailed and interesting looking. I don't mean for you to make them pink or anything, but they're all using the same palette and they don't need to. That's your call of course.

maxxa

ice pokemon pwn
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2011
    i keep meaning to change the pallette, i want the last evo to have a lighter grey shade and a darker blue
    for now heres a new evolutionary pair.
    Spriters Showcase Thread

rock/grass

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • theyre good, but could benefit from some darker outlines and black to make it look more 3D and stand out

Spriters Showcase Thread

I LOVE them XD However, the firs one looks a little awkward. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it looks too round or something. Well, anyway, that's just what I think. <_<' Otherwise, your sprites look REALLY official!!

here are some I made..

Spriters Showcase Thread

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

That grey one on the left.. I couldn't find a way to make the head look better. :/ It's just, like.. popping out. D:

maxxa

ice pokemon pwn
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2011
    heres an older sprite of mine
    Spriters Showcase Thread

apparently its some of my best work, but i looked at it last night without any internet on my laptop or reference and decided it needed work, i just played about with shapes and came up with this!
    Spriters Showcase Thread

i dont know whether or not i prefer the leg up or down though...

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • The tail, although I understand it's meant to be a cane, is really odd when it's straight like that o-o It may just be the angle of it, compared to the body though.

ANd there's a little notch in the cane, which doesn't seem like it belongs. XD

But I think it looks better with the leg down, But should you do that, you may want to rotate the head so the face is towards the front of the body more, otherwise it looks quite evil, unless that was the intent.

maxxa

ice pokemon pwn
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2011
    i can see if a better angle would work, the whole tail needs work really
    and yeah its supposed to look evil, but in a mischievous way like the cheshire cat, its a ghost type and can like rotate its head 360 degrees as a scare tactic etc :)

KajiVenator

The Flame Huntzman
    Years
  • I'm trying to convert the picture of 10 year-old Ethan into my 17 year-old version of me-as-a-sprite. Could I get some help to make the eyebrows more angled down for an angry look and maybe just help him look older?

Oh, and the hat. I tried making it but it didn't work out so well.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Looking for some criticism or just comments even on this trainer sprite.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Years
  • hello guys .. i want someone to rate my recoloured and resized sprite... and also some edit.(i'll attach It)
    I have 2 version. which one is better for RMXP.. Critique needed^^

Last edited:
    Years
  • heres an older sprite of mine
    Spriters Showcase Thread

apparently its some of my best work, but i looked at it last night without any internet on my laptop or reference and decided it needed work, i just played about with shapes and came up with this!
    Spriters Showcase Thread

i dont know whether or not i prefer the leg up or down though...
    its pretty good, actually, really, really good, but its legs look to small for its body, i'd take that into consideration, but other than that, this is a very good sprite!

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • Maxxa, upon looking at it, you may want to try using the old pose, with the new look of the fakemon, with the tail pointing straight up.

I'm thinking it might work out a lot better.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    Is this thread only for sprites from scratch, or am i allowed to post my devamped sprites ([3rd-4th gen]-->[1stgen])? because i'd like my devamps to be rated..

@maxxa: i find your sprite really good, specially the older one. In my opinion it's more characteristic

Years
  • Is this thread only for sprites from scratch, or am i allowed to post my devamped sprites ([3rd-4th gen]-->[1stgen])? because i'd like my devamps to be rated..
    This thread is for scratched sprites/mostly scratched sprites/sprites with significant scratched elements. Basically something original you'd like to get comments on.

With devamps you're mostly working with and basing your work on official sprites so those should go in the [url-inline="showthread.php?t=177502"]Recolors and Fusions thread[/url-inline].

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back