• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yume Tsuki

(/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
Years
  • I was paying more attention to shading than to concept and colour. any comments?
    Spriters Showcase Thread

maxxa

ice pokemon pwn
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2011
    a little bee pokemon i designed, its based on those beehives/nests you see that bears try and get honey from, the kind that falls on a cartoon characters head and invokes mass hysteria
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years

• Wow that's actually a pretty unique design you have there :D
    It might be a bit too bright for my tastes though, I would recommend using some dimmer colors. It also seems like the body has a metallic-ish feel to it. It doesn't really fit the actual description you written up. Maybe you should take out the lighting on the bottom portion of the body. Otherwise its an amazing sprite, I'd hope to see more that would come from this.

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    I was paying more attention to shading than to concept and colour. any comments?
    Spriters Showcase Thread

You're using way too many shades for one color that the sprite now looks too detailed to fit with the other, official sprites. Game sprites often use four shades for a color (I'm not counting the black here), those shades are usually in this order: highlight, base, shade, outline, and black outline. Also, I know you said you didn't pay attention to the concept while making this, but how are you going to shade in a similar fashion to the creators' sprites if the concept, however bland it is, doesn't even look like a pokemon? I like the pose you have though, and I'm sure that with some tweaking here and there, this would fit in more.

Keep trying! ^^

a little bee pokemon i designed, its based on those beehives/nests you see that bears try and get honey from, the kind that falls on a cartoon characters head and invokes mass hysteria
    Spriters Showcase Thread

It's so cute! I'd love to see more of this.

A few things that stick out to me is the flat face, more shading there should do the trick, and the antennae suffer from the same thing. Also, the wings seem to have a slight proportionality issue, and they literally stick out as weird to the eyes. Overall, you've done quite a job a this, so I have to say keep on the good work! ^^

Yume Tsuki

(/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    Years
  • You're using way too many shades for one color that the sprite now looks too detailed to fit with the other, official sprites. Game sprites often use four shades for a color (I'm not counting the black here), those shades are usually in this order: highlight, base, shade, outline, and black outline. Also, I know you said you didn't pay attention to the concept while making this, but how are you going to shade in a similar fashion to the creators' sprites if the concept, however bland it is, doesn't even look like a pokemon? I like the pose you have though, and I'm sure that with some tweaking here and there, this would fit in more.

Keep trying! ^^

Ya usually I use 4 shades per colour. But this time I felt like: Let's go more detailed. I want to show Tentayely now, but due contest issues I have to keep it hidden until the end of the contest I think.

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    Ya usually I use 4 shades per colour. But this time I felt like: Let's go more detailed. I want to show Tentayely now, but due contest issues I have to keep it hidden until the end of the contest I think.

Oh okay then, I didn't know that. -.-' You've done a good job then, but it could use some more tweaking at points to make it more natural.

May I ask what contest is that by the way?

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Here are some fakemon sprites I'm really satisfied with:
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Submasect
    Bug/Water type. Evolves into Aquascor at level 23.

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Aquascor
    Bug/Water type. Evolves from Submasect at level 23.

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    It's a contest on a Dutch Forum. Anyone can start a contest there. And you can make your own rules for the contest ^-^;

Hey, that's neat. ^^

Here are some fakemon sprites I'm really satisfied with:
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Submasect
    Bug/Water type. Evolves into Aquascor at level 23.

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Aquascor
    Bug/Water type. Evolves from Submasect at level 23.

The designs for both of them are pretty good, and they look like they could be official. However, there are some overlooked mistakes you've made (mostly concerning shading).

Submasect seems to have been roughly shaded in the intersection point of the shell (the curved part). Similarly, the part where the shell meets the body suffers from the same thing but it's less clear here. You're going to have to make the shading rounder in shape to give an organic feel to the creature. The blue part can also use smoothing out for the dark shades, but they don't really stick out as weird.
    Aquascor looks great, but some parts seem to look a little awkward. The tail, for example, has an unnatural outline, so you might want to either elongate it or make the curve more like a curve. The horn-thing is too stiff looking, and that's because you used a shape that's impossible to find in nature. The rectangle could use some tweaking to make it look more like a horn then.
    Also, there seems to be a lot going on in the sprite. Should the stripe on the leg necessarily be there? Does he have to have those wings when he looks too heavy to be carried by those alone? In my opinion, removing those little nitpicks would make the sprite fit more into the pokemon category, but that's just my opinion and you can ignore it. =P

I'd like to see more of this in the future! Keep up the good work! ^^

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
    Years
  • Spriters Showcase Thread

Storish, the Fisher Pokemon.

Evo of:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Ponchick, the Water Chick Pokemon.

Still need one more to finish off my water starter line.

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Storish, the Fisher Pokemon.

Evo of:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Ponchick, the Water Chick Pokemon.

Still need one more to finish off my water starter line.

Ponchick is cute, although the colors are a bit dull and the ruffled feathers on the head could use some more work. If I were you I'd give it a more vivid color and different colored markings, since the black detracts from the detail. I'd also give it colored eyes since you have the space and ability to do so. I love the claws though! ^^
    Storish needs more work to become better-looking compared to Ponchick. The first thing I notice is how thin his body looks compared to his think legs. Also, like I mentioned above, the black really blocks out the details on the wing, and the white stripe is blending too well with the grey blue to be noticed. The head should also get some tweaking to fit with the pokemon category, since right now it doesn't really look like it would fit the official style, if that's what you're aiming for. Making the head slightly larger and adding irises to the currently blank eyes in addition to making the beak more realistic would make a drastic improvement.
    Regarding the shading on both sides, the hues could use some more contrast, and you might want to make the shading on both sprites rounder to achieve the organic look which the sprite would benefit from.

Keep up the good work blackmoonflower! I'd like to see more of this soon! ^^

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
    Years
  • Okay, I fixed a couple things.

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Better now?

EDIT: Thought I'd up these up too, since no sleep = crazy amounts of spriting.

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Female and Male protagonists. I may redo the female at some point (again, since this is version #3), now that I seem to be getting better.

Last edited:

maxxa

ice pokemon pwn
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2011
    Wow that's actually a pretty unique design you have there :D
    It might be a bit too bright for my tastes though, I would recommend using some dimmer colors. It also seems like the body has a metallic-ish feel to it. It doesn't really fit the actual description you written up. Maybe you should take out the lighting on the bottom portion of the body. Otherwise its an amazing sprite, I'd hope to see more that would come from this.

dimmer colours, i will look into that, i made that using paints custom colours because i had no internet connection and i was too lazy to make my own colours :3
    for now heres another sprite
    water/ground type
    its based off of an anchor, a fish, a fish skeleton and a fakemon i saw a while ago in a dex, im unsure of it at the moment
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2012
    how's my spriting?

fire type- Parasaurolophus

first one
    dex data: When it is first hatched, it has a candle wick 16 ft long. when it begins to run out, it is close to evolving.

third one:
    dex data: The sac below its throat hold flamable chemicals, allowing it to breathe fire. Occassionally pressure builds up and flames engulfing its entire crest.

Years
  • how's my spriting?

fire type- Parasaurolophus

first one
    dex data: When it is first hatched, it has a candle wick 16 ft long. when it begins to run out, it is close to evolving.

third one:
    dex data: The sac below its throat hold flamable chemicals, allowing it to breathe fire. Occassionally pressure builds up and flames engulfing its entire crest.
    They're not too bad, but there is one problem I noticed: Outline Shading. You're not distributing it correctly.

MiniM00se

Toad in a stroller
    Years
  • How is my scratch?
    No, it is not grayscale <.< The sphere things and the spikes are supposed to be steel, the stripe is black, and the body is white-ish gray.
    Spriters Showcase Thread

I know it could use quite a bit of work.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • How is my scratch?
    No, it is not grayscale <.< The sphere things and the spikes are supposed to be steel, the stripe is black, and the body is white-ish gray.
    Spriters Showcase Thread

I know it could use quite a bit of work.
    You got the skills, alright. What could use some work here is the colouring. The theme is currently dull, and afaib, the round fists look more like wool than steel. You can change the hues a bit, too, if you want.

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    Okay, I fixed a couple things.

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Better now?

EDIT: Thought I'd up these up too, since no sleep = crazy amounts of spriting.

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Female and Male protagonists. I may redo the female at some point (again, since this is version #3), now that I seem to be getting better.

Ponchick and Storish look way better now that you've fixed what I mentioned before. I love the how the colors seem a little more vibrant and daring now that you've changed them. And Storish's eye, wing, and legs look flawless now. You can ignore my post in your thread since I responded there without knowing about those.

I can't criticize the trainers since I'm not so familiar with spriting them, but it looks like you've done a good job. ^^ By the way, are you planning on revamping Lilyla? I haven't seen any updates on her lately. T^T

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back