• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    Spriters Showcase Thread

It is good day to be giant man bug.

Years
  • Hmm. I think I'll show my latest work.
    I made these with Spoink's and Grumpig's palettes.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Leefin, a Psychic/Grass Fakemon. Evolves into Podalif.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Podalif, a Psychic/Grass Fakemon.

Feedback, eh?
    I think you should consider using different palettes. Spoink and Grumpig are much more colorful than their palettes suggest because of how the colors are distributed. There's a lot of grey, but the pink/purple areas are quite prominent. On yours you've sort of left them to the peripheries. I would at least consider adding some color to the eyes, or around the eyes. The face is an important place to give the sprite character. The eyes feel kind of lifeless.

As far as your sprite work goes, it's good. Very nice shading and linework. On Podalif's leaves there are a couple of isolated black pixels on the edges and the center line that stand out to me. Not in a major distracting way, but I wonder why they're there.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I'd like for someone to criticise my work. :P They're meant to be icons, by the way. ;)

Anyway, I'm curious about something. Which one looks better: the icon with or without a black outline? :S
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    OR
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Years
  • I'd like for someone to criticise my work. :P They're meant to be icons, by the way. ;)

Anyway, I'm curious about something. Which one looks better: the icon with or without a black outline? :S
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    OR
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Definitely the staff without the outline. :3 In fact, I think the staff could be improved even more if you didn't dither the aura, but kept it solid and made it look a bit more like fire (or water, as the case may be).

i am new to scratch spriting. any tips for shading?

Look at official sprites and see how they do it.

Years
  • i am new to scratch spriting. any tips for shading?
    Pokemon sprites have an imaginary light source coming from the upper left side, so your sprite should generally look lighter on that side.

A good place to start shading is to forget about shading. Once you've picked a color and filled in the areas you want with that color you can go back over it with a lighter version of that color for highlights and a darker version for shadows. That gives you three shades of a color in total and it's usually enough to give your sprite a three-dimensional quality. There's usually a small amount of the highlight, and more of the shading, and most of the sprite will contain the medium shade color. You'll probably notice on many official sprites that the outlines have an even darker shade of a color, though that's usually all it's used for.

Since most of the time your sprites will be more than a single mass it helps to think of the sprite as separate parts. The head, body, legs, etc. should each have highlights and shadows if they're large enough and not in the shadow of something else (in which case it's fine to leave out highlights, or possibly put the whole area in shadow).

Use dithering (that checkerboard style of coloring and shading) sparingly. It's helpful when an area wouldn't be directly in light or shadow but even then it's not always the best choice.

And like Zephyr said, look at the official sprites for help.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Dolphlame
    Water/Fire type.

I wanted to use this sprite to work on fire and smoke, which can be tricky to sprite convincingly. I think they turned out okay, though.

Years
  • Spriters Showcase Thread
    Dolphlame
    Water/Fire type.

I wanted to use this sprite to work on fire and smoke, which can be tricky to sprite convincingly. I think they turned out okay, though.

You're right, fire and smoke are more difficult to sprite than most other things. However, there are a few methods that make them seem more realistic.
    The smoke looks quite good. Dithering on the cloud gives it texture without making it seem too clustered, and also gives it dimension. As long as you keep your light source in mind you'll be fine.
    Fire needs no outline otherwise it makes it seem like a solid object. I personally use red orange and yellow for fire, then layer them accordingly. It's hard to explain but try out a few different methods to see how it goes. Remember- forget the outline.

Haha, Check This Out
    Spriters Showcase Thread

GOKU!!!!!!​

I think they're quite cute. It would be interesting to see them in a game

I wanted to challenge myself with a difficult pokemon to sprite so I chose arceus, the lineart looked great when I had that finished, but now I'm not too sure about the outline, and it's bugging me as to why. I'd like some constructive critique on how to improve it :)

Spriters Showcase Thread

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I wanted to challenge myself with a difficult pokemon to sprite so I chose arceus, the lineart looked great when I had that finished, but now I'm not too sure about the outline, and it's bugging me as to why. I'd like some constructive critique on how to improve it :)

Spriters Showcase Thread

Well, the gold disc thingy looks kinda wobbly, especially on the right side, and there's a spare black pixel on the end of the long part of his head. Also, if it makes sense, try switching that first black pixel in that part of the line with the gray one it's in front of. Where it is makes the change in outline color too abrupt looking. It may even work to just put those black pixels on the underside instead and just have that whole top part lined with gray.

Everything else looks great! You've really got some talent with this stuff :3

Also, @dedsInce: I agree with Bulletangel, those Gokus are adorable! They're really well-done and surely could be handy to have. One question, though - you've got all 4 Super Saiyan forms, so what about the original Goku?

Years
  • this is my first sprite probably look bad sorry it my first time
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    It looks rough, but not bad. You've picked colors that compliment each other and even though overall it's very green there is still enough variety in the colors. The design and pose are interesting and it has depth, too.

What it needs most is to have the linework cleaned up. I took the liberty to make this diagram to help me illustrate what would otherwise be a little hard to describe.

Spriters Showcase Thread

First, you have some clumps of black outline. I've added magenta arrows pointing out the areas I mean. It usually looks better for your sprite when the outline is only one pixel thick. When you end up with one it's a good idea to fill the area inside with the appropriate color or if there isn't space for that then to thin the outline.

I've put yellow areas in just a few of the places where your outline has a kind of tetris block style. I've got another handy visual aid to describe what I mean.

Spriters Showcase Thread

On this image it shows what it's like to take away the extra pixels from the inside, but you can just as easily take from the outside, mix and match. You've already got the right kind of outline in places, such as where I marked them with blue arrows. Fixing these areas might be the easiest way you can make your sprite smoother and neater and less blocky.

One other area that stands out to me is your shading. In particular you have some areas that are pillow shaded (marked with an orange arrow) which is when you have what looks like a second outline just inside the actual outline and with pokemon style sprites at least that's not the kind of shading you want. They generally have larger blocks of shading and highlighting.

Anyway, it's a good start to a sprite. Keep at it.

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
    Years
  • It looks rough, but not bad. You've picked colors that compliment each other and even though overall it's very green there is still enough variety in the colors. The design and pose are interesting and it has depth, too.

What it needs most is to have the linework cleaned up. I took the liberty to make this diagram to help me illustrate what would otherwise be a little hard to describe.

Spriters Showcase Thread

First, you have some clumps of black outline. I've added magenta arrows pointing out the areas I mean. It usually looks better for your sprite when the outline is only one pixel thick. When you end up with one it's a good idea to fill the area inside with the appropriate color or if there isn't space for that then to thin the outline.

I've put yellow areas in just a few of the places where your outline has a kind of tetris block style. I've got another handy visual aid to describe what I mean.

Spriters Showcase Thread

On this image it shows what it's like to take away the extra pixels from the inside, but you can just as easily take from the outside, mix and match. You've already got the right kind of outline in places, such as where I marked them with blue arrows. Fixing these areas might be the easiest way you can make your sprite smoother and neater and less blocky.

One other area that stands out to me is your shading. In particular you have some areas that are pillow shaded (marked with an orange arrow) which is when you have what looks like a second outline just inside the actual outline and with pokemon style sprites at least that's not the kind of shading you want. They generally have larger blocks of shading and highlighting.

Anyway, it's a good start to a sprite. Keep at it.

thank for the feed back I fix it already

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    rough draft of Ling-Ling (pickachu spoof from Drawn Together)

Spriters Showcase Thread

Years
  • Input, please? I've got a sprite and an ever-so-slightly different version of it and I can't decide which is better.

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Any other comments would be great, too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back