• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
  • May as well post them here, as my thread is dead (even more dead than these Fakémon...)

Spriters Showcase Thread
    The sprites on the top are brand new (I made them a few minutes ago.) The backsprites at the bottom are ones I made ages ago. I sloghtly edited them though, to make them them more square-ish on the top. The sprites are a bit small, but meh (the Fakémon is meant to be quite small anyway, so that's my excuse. :P)

Illushun (name WIP.)
    The Mischief Pokémon
    "It hides behind graves and scares people passing by. It is especially active at night."

Oh, and I kinda stole Logiedan's way of presenting sprites. ^^' Sorry!

Last edited:
    Years
  • May as well post them here, as my thread is dead (even more dead than these Fakémon...)

Spriters Showcase Thread
    The sprites on the top are brand new (I made them a few minutes ago.) The backsprites at the bottom are ones I made ages ago. I sloghtly edited them though, to make them them more square-ish on the top. The sprites are a bit small, but meh (the Fakémon is meant to be quite small anyway, so that's my excuse. :P)

Illushun (name WIP.)
    The Mischief Pokémon
    "It hides behind graves and scares people passing by. It is especially active at night."

Oh, and I kinda stole Logiedan's way of presenting sprites. ^^' Sorry!
    I'm assuming you're going for a top hat kind of look, the kind with a flat brim, so I'm basing my comments on that assumption.

I think the brim of the hat needs to be refined a little, particularly on the back sprite. It looks more rounded and not very flat, more like a donut than a disc. Only a small portion of it is lighted and if it's a flat surface then it should have consistent lighting across the whole area except where part of the hat blocks the light. If you could make the brim also go 'behind' the body of the hat more that would also give it a little more depth.

The tail on the front sprites looks like it's coming out from the side while on the backsprites it looks like it's in the back where you'd expect it. The front sprites also have this horizontal black line on the hat that really should be more of a curve to match the rest of the hat.

Missingno.7-4468

The Kazuka Party is for curry!
    Years
  • For once I made a scratch sprite =D

Anyway, this was pretty random, and I was doing it mostly to test myself. It's inspired by some of the Dragon Quest aquatic monsters and such ~

Spriters Showcase Thread

I would just like some C+CC. Personally, I think it's one of my...better scratch sprites. Mostly because I (Normally) suck at lineart xD

Anyway, what do ya'll think?

Unfortunately, I have been paged ~

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    A lot of the curved lines could probably be made much smoother looking, especially around the torso and tail area of the sprite.

Years
  • It has a LONG snout, which makes it very comical. Everything is good!

Spriters Showcase Thread

LEFT: Old Version. RIGHT: My new, shaded version.
    If you are having trouble seeing these, then you are welcome to zoom in on them.

This is also the pallets that I used:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

*Ask permission before using these.

Years
  • whoah-hoah-hoah mediocre tiles ahoy.
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    They're actually alright, but the colours are too saturated. I think I'd get a headache after playing a game with those colours after a while. o.o They'd actually suit a Mario and Luigi game though, if the colours were toned down a little. The style in general really fits the M&L style.

a small WIP. Inspired by Fool.
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    It certainly does resemble Fool's style. I can't wait to see this finished.

It has a LONG snout, which makes it very comical. Everything is good!

Spriters Showcase Thread

LEFT: Old Version. RIGHT: My new, shaded version.
    If you are having trouble seeing these, then you are welcome to zoom in on them.

This is also the pallets that I used:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

*Ask permission before using these.
    Skilled revamp, though I think the complete removal of black outline is a bit overkill. Either way, it looks nice. :D

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • They're actually alright, but the colours are too saturated. I think I'd get a headache after playing a game with those colours after a while. o.o They'd actually suit a Mario and Luigi game though, if the colours were toned down a little. The style in general really fits the M&L style
    Thanks. That's actually what I was going for; I love the M&L style so much and wanted to created a hybrid between it and Pokémon style.
    I've also been messing with the saturation myself, so I know what you mean, but it's hard to find a balance between bright and colourful, without being eye-burning.

EDIT:
    Now with trees.
    Spriters Showcase Thread

I'm not very happy with them. I think it's the lowermost layer of leaves.

Last edited:

Skitty123

Alice Cullen
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2012
    First scratch

Yeah this is my first scratch so its kinda bad

Outlines black -
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Outlines Shaded -
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I'm assuming you're going for a top hat kind of look, the kind with a flat brim, so I'm basing my comments on that assumption.

I think the brim of the hat needs to be refined a little, particularly on the back sprite. It looks more rounded and not very flat, more like a donut than a disc. Only a small portion of it is lighted and if it's a flat surface then it should have consistent lighting across the whole area except where part of the hat blocks the light. If you could make the brim also go 'behind' the body of the hat more that would also give it a little more depth.

The tail on the front sprites looks like it's coming out from the side while on the backsprites it looks like it's in the back where you'd expect it. The front sprites also have this horizontal black line on the hat that really should be more of a curve to match the rest of the hat.

Late reply is late, but thanks Scarf! ^^ I think I've fixed most of the problems:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Also, I finally fished my other Fakemon's backsprite. :)
    Yes, it looks like a... yeah. >.<
    Spriters Showcase Thread

EDIT: Some Christmas pixel art. ^^ It's a santa hat, based on this!
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm just going to comment on the hat here, because I've never been much good with fakemon, forgive me. It looks great to me, however I find a small issue with the outline at the bottom of the hat. The black line which follows the gray outline contrasts a little too much, I would suggest going with a darker gray outline for that area. The black outline works best on the red as opposed to the gray/white.

Anyway, I'm just here to drop off some tiles, my latest deviation on DA here. However, I'm looking to know whether or not they can be improved mostly, so any suggestions? Pretty new to pixel art to be honest.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2013
    Battersea Power Station (WIP)

I'll start by saying I'm the farthest thing from an artist, so go easy on me :3

What you're about to see is me forcing progress on my game, Monster Realms (browser-based monster training MMO). Speaking of which, if any real artists want to save me from myself, please do! xD

This is the Battersea Power Station in London, England (or my poor attempt at it, at least xD). Any tips would be appreciated :D It's got a ways to go, so no need to mention the obvious (like unmatching colors).

Spriters Showcase Thread

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Despite the different designs on the sides, this is REALLY good, perhaps the right (the darker) is the best, is their gonna be anything in the middle? its plain :P
    I guess Its donna be open with grass, ect.
    also in the middle/front wall with the windows, its really flat.

Years
  • Agreed about the front wall. It's flat and I think you can fix it by adding a top surface.

Also to add on about the merging, I merged your thread because it lacked 3 extra scratch sprites to showcase. So I merged it here. Next time, create a thread once you have 4 scratch sprites to showcase. (:

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2013
    Thanks :D. The building itself is dark brown, so I'll try to carry the right side's "design" through the rest of it. Not sure about the middle, honestly...I can't find anything solid online explaining what the interior is actually for :P.

---

I'll be fixing the middle wall soon..I've just been avoiding it xD.

I'll be sure to make a thread (where it belongs) if I can force myself to make some more buildings :P

Years
  • Well, I haven't made a trainer in a long time, so go easy on me. I'm not sure of the hair, because mine is a little longer, and browner, but it'll do. Imma use it for my first avatar.

Spriters Showcase Thread
    The legs and body look fine, though I'd say the pants are a little dark. The hair is fine if you're going for a slicked-back kind of look (the couple of lines you put in the hair make it look that way to me). The arms are maybe not quite as good.

On the arm with the pokeball there's too heavy a line on the inner part of the elbow and it's too long. Based on the shape and length of the arm we should be seeing the whole arm from the side and wouldn't see any extra line there. Having that line there makes me think you were going for some kind of foreshortening (having the arm reaching outward toward the screen). If you wanted to go that direction then a bent arm isn't the way to go, at least not one as long as that one. The shading on the other arm is a little strange with the shadow on the top. It's also got a weird perspective because of that elbow line. The line makes it look like the forearm is pointing "forward" and away from the body, but the position of the hand makes it look like it's resting on his hip. Perhaps you could gloss over some of these problems by putting more shading on the forearm (since it might be in the shadow of the torso) and removing some from the upper arm. At the very least I think you should make those elbow lines lighter.

Years
  • The line on his arm seems like it could be an armband, maybe. If so, it could stand to be thicker :P

and I WAS going to post a picture of a sprite I did a while ago... but I can't post URL's until I have 15 posts D: It'll have to wait

EDIT: Countryemo must've seen my post, 'cause he showed me how to do it without photobucket!!! Thank you!!!

I am such a noob. ._.

Anyways, the guy is attached. The black line beneath his hat is supposed to be hair, let me know if that's what it looks like to you. :)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back