• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sprites? Or fails?

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
    Here are a bunch of my fails/sprites.

Newest to oldest fakemon:
    Spoiler:

Fusions form newest to oldest:
    Spoiler:

Others from newest to oldest:
    Spoiler:

Years
    Are you better at spriting when you follow a concept art? XD
    Because Hamahorn looks like it's been sprited by somebody else that sprited the Tapyro, I suggest starting off with a comfortable style you'd like and work your way up?

Hamahorn's sprite looks okay though I suggest you could use better and contrasting oranges for it's head. It's body shape is a bit awkward in a way, I can't really explain it. Hamahorn looks a little boring too, it just looks like a bigger size of what I assume to be it's pre-evolution.

also bumping for the sake of more activity in pa and more criticism 4 u.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
    Are you better at spriting when you follow a concept art? XD
    Because Hamahorn looks like it's been sprited by somebody else that sprited the Tapyro, I suggest starting off with a comfortable style you'd like and work your way up?

Hamahorn's sprite looks okay though I suggest you could use better and contrasting oranges for it's head. It's body shape is a bit awkward in a way, I can't really explain it. Hamahorn looks a little boring too, it just looks like a bigger size of what I assume to be it's pre-evolution.

also bumping for the sake of more activity in pa and more criticism 4 u.

Yeah, lol. If I'm being honest, mostly when I use a concept art I shrink it to a suitable size, pixel over, erase all the inside, fix up the outline, and then startt colouring and shading.

Yeah, it's supposed to be based on a hammer, it's head is used to smash foes before skewering them with it's horn, the newer sprite is in my avvie. It has no pre-evo xD that was just me messing about.
    Inorite? Thanks :D

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    Corsweet is really good. They all are good. Though with Twurm (I think that was name), you could put a more defined outline. I'd help, but I still can't post exterior links to iaza on here. Stupid new users rule. XD

Years
    Looks pretty solid. It's pretty hard making original poses for new Ditto sprites, but it's a good sprite, nonetheless. The base of Ditto has a bit that goes up a bit abruptly which seems a bit unnatural compared to the rest. Also, isn't it a tad small? I mean, I can understand you've got the 64x64 limit, but...
    Sprites? Or fails?
    Sprites? Or fails?

The left is FireRed's sprite. As you can see, even compared to that, it's small, and that's at an angle.
    Anyway, as I said, it's a pretty solid sprite. :D

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
    Thanks, I'll work on enlarging it a little.

Meant to update with this a while ago but I forgot:
    Sprites? Or fails?

My grass starter, based on a Rabbit. Not completely by me, Cilerba helped fixed up the head, so credit to Cilerba for doing so :)

Years
    Relatively nice sprite, Flygon. Here's some crit, though, to help you improve it. For one, the whiskers that are in front of the face are barely visible at all. Perhaps bringing some contrast between the two colours (and shades) would help?

Furthermore, it seems there is a lotta black outline, even where it shouldn't be - for example, the fluffy tail doesn't look fluffy at the moment (the only reason I assume it's supposed to be fluffy is the shape, and the fact that you said it's a rabbit. Oh, and it looks to have been pillow shaded (the darkest shade on the outside, and it gradually gets lighter as it comes closer to the centre; don't do it). I know that some of Drifloon's sprites contradict this, but I think some coloured outlines, especially there, would be of exceptional assistance. =D

The eyes seem pretty boring and it looks half asleep (I'm not sure, is this intentional?) and the leaves are a pretty lame way of conveying the grass type. Speaking of which, the two on the back not only do not look connected to the back, but also are too thin to have that vein being added in, if I'm honest. Additionally, they lack black outlines which doesn't look good.

On a whole, the palette is nice (barring the whisker Isshu issue). The shading, on the other hand, seems slightly rough and, for want of a better word, dodgy. Try curving it out a little (especially the shading towards the rear of the sprite).

Last crit I have is regarding the two paws/legs furthest away from us; they are far too dark. Use the darkest shade, maybe, but not the outline's shade. Still, it's not a terrible sprite. Good work. :D

And where are the buck teeth?

Years
    Better. I'd make the hind legs have some of the third darkest shade as highlights, and maybe make the head's features more readable - the nose is hardly visible at that hue without some sort of anti-aliasing or outline, the eyes are too small (what's the red for, anyway?), and I still think there should be some showing teeth. Perhaps make the leaf ears longer? I don't know, right now it seems more a feline than a rabbit.

Years
    They are all ok, except for the large version of Hamahorn. He's a fail at the moment, but I bet you could improve it. Like part of the lines are jagged, some of the lines don't match up with the original sprite, there are some lines that are not needed, and it's in an odd stance. But I understand it's a WIP.

The other scratch sprites are good except the last one, honestly, what were you thinking? Twurm and Twurphur, well, the first one needs some black outlines, and the second one needs to be cropped correctly. The Newest fusion I like, but the other ones are bad. They look like they were copy and pasted, and if you are going to copy and paste, at least make it look good.

Your Chikorita sprite is awesome, it's even better than the official ones! Ditto is good too, exept it's right arm, it's very oddly shaped.

Keep it up!

Years
    Nice fusions, but I don't really like the mouth thing of the Dusclops fusion. It seems out of place. The overworlds are decent but I just don't like the size. It makes it seem you tried to fit everything into the square which made the sprite really small and difficult to see.

Years
    This is quite a nice fusion, although the anatomy is slightly off (for example, where the vine closest to us, on our right, it doesn't seem to connect and in some places it's behind the Bronzor head, and in others it is in front of it). Not much more to say.
    This, on the other hand, is not so dandy. Firstly, I think the black thing with the white dots is intended to be a mouth, but I'm afraid it doesn't come off as that. The shading is pretty off; it's hard to explain through words though, so here's a picture:
    Sprites? Or fails?

(don't mind the fact that it's an FRLG Blastoise, I just random'd a Pokémon)
    As said before, these overworlds have had too much details crammed in them. I understand you are trying to emulate the FireRed/LeafGreen overworld style, but I think it's turned out pretty sloppy. You also realise that the actual size of the overworlds is 32px by 16px, so you could've gone a little higher anyway, and still sticked to the canon style.

Years
    It could do with facing the bottom-left, and to express the "fire" a little more, perhaps you could add a flame or something to the uninspired bowl? In fact, the whole sprite looks pretty uninspired. Also, the brown colour could do with some more contrast/being lighter.

Back